Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Remember My Name
5,229 Posts
since miami likely wont catch the bulls, i hope they beat the celtics. in fact celtics have tough games ahead ...spurs (mmh now with duncan out they have lost a couple), bulls, heat any the sixers.

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts
If the Lakers and Bulls end up with the same record, who has home court in the finals?
I can't find the article explaining why, but apparently we would hold home court.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
I can't find the article explaining why, but apparently we would hold home court.
I would assume it's the same rules as found here:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/matchups

* Two-Team Tiebreaker:
o 1. Division winner (this criterion is applied regardless of whether the tied teams are in the same division)
o 2. Better record in head-to-head games
o 3. Higher winning percentage within division (if teams are in the same division)
o 4. Higher winning percentage in conference games
o 5. Higher winning percentage against playoff teams in own conference
o 6. Higher winning percentage against playoff teams in opposite conference
o 7. Higher point differential between points scored and points allowed
1 and 2 are irrelevant (both division winners, split head to head games). I'm unsure if #3 counts. Bulls have a better division record though. But, if 3 doesn't count, then Lakers win criteria #4 (better win % in conference games).

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts
Man...the article was literally on NBA.com like a week ago.

Does anybody more tech savvy than me know how to search NBA.com? They have the search bar, but it seems really limited.

I'm trying my best to find it.

Somebody had to have seen it.

It was an article describing the home court advantage if the Spurs, Lakers, and Bulls ended up with the same record. It even described how unlikely that it would be that two #1 seeds even met in the Finals (only happened once with Lakers/Boston in the last ten years, I think) but it broke it down anyway.

But now that link yodurk posted has got me more confused, because with that link it definitely seems like the Lakers would have homecourt based off that.

Argh.

·
Administrator
68,859 Posts
Man...the article was literally on NBA.com like a week ago.

Does anybody more tech savvy than me know how to search NBA.com? They have the search bar, but it seems really limited.

I'm trying my best to find it.

Somebody had to have seen it.

It was an article describing the home court advantage if the Spurs, Lakers, and Bulls ended up with the same record. It even described how unlikely that it would be that two #1 seeds even met in the Finals (only happened once with Lakers/Boston in the last ten years, I think) but it broke it down anyway.

But now that link yodurk posted has got me more confused, because with that link it definitely seems like the Lakers would have homecourt based off that.

Argh.
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/03/29/home-court-in-finals-up-for-grabs/

This it?

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts

·
Administrator
68,859 Posts
I'm assuming the in-conference tiebreaker only applies for breaking ties within the conference, while the record against the opposing conference is what determines it for the Finals.

Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Bulls are in a nice spot.

#1 seed in the East is clinched.

#2 record in the NBA is clinched, meaning we have home court advantage vs everyone except the Spurs. And I'm convinced the Spurs aren't going to make the Finals.

Question: With 3 games left, do we rest our starters and get everyone healthy? We have almost nothing to play for, and it would be terrible if someone got injured.

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts

#2 record in the NBA is clinched, meaning we have home court advantage vs everyone except the Spurs. And I'm convinced the Spurs aren't going to make the Finals.

Question: With 3 games left, do we rest our starters and get everyone healthy? We have almost nothing to play for, and it would be terrible if someone got injured.
Agreed.

I think we give them considerable rest, yes. Play them a bit here and there, but nothing too much.

I agree with your Spurs assessment.

We're set to play the Pacers in the first round, correct? I mean, there's no mathematical way the Pacers can jump to seven, right?

Even if they could, though, it looks unlikely.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts

I can't see Thibs giving anyone considerable rest. I think his attitude is that it is a fairly young team and they can handle it. I also think that even though it's unlikely, you still probably want to try to lock up the best record in the NBA if possible.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
San Antonio would have to lose their last 2 games (L.A. & Phoenix) for us to get the overall #1 record. That and we'd have to win our last 3. The latter is more likely than the former. Still great great season by the Bulls!

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
I hope Thibs is smart and at least treats these last couple games like a pre-season game, for instance.

Keep our main guys down in the 25-30 minute range. Enough to stay sharp, but (hopefully) reduces the strains and allows for some rejuvenation and recovery.

While Boozer looks recovered from his ankle sprain, I'm still a little worried about Noah's ankle.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
San Antonio would have to lose their last 2 games (L.A. & Phoenix) for us to get the overall #1 record. That and we'd have to win our last 3. The latter is more likely than the former. Still great great season by the Bulls!

Sure, but San Antonio only has to lose 1 of their remaining games if we win out for us to end tied, and at least earn a coin-flip chance of home court advantage.

121 - 140 of 145 Posts