Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two words: Rafer Alston

What were they thinking going after this guy? I can understand them wanting a change at point guard, but why Alston? Didn't they watch him at all last year? This guy is a joke to the position he plays. He's like a poor man's Steve Francis. Does it get any worse than that? He dribbles way too much, can't effectively run an offense, has a terrible interior and mid-range shot, is a mediocre defender and based off of last year in Toronto, he's a bonehead on and off the court. Carrol Dawson gets a big fat F for this move. A move that may have cost the Rockets a shot at contending in the West this year.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
He's not their future at PG. Luther Head may develop into that player. Maybe that guy they're getting from Europe will do something. But Alston isn't a terrible PG by any means, he's just not terribly special.

One thing he does better than Francis though, and that's pass. But he takes too long to pass sometimes, like Francis.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
TonyMontana_83 said:

What were they thinking going after this guy? I can understand them wanting a change at point guard, but why Alston? Didn't they watch him at all last year? This guy is a joke to the position he plays. He's like a poor man's Steve Francis. Does it get any worse than that? He dribbles way too much, can't effectively run an offense, has a terrible interior and mid-range shot, is a mediocre defender and based off of last year in Toronto, he's a bonehead on and off the court. Carrol Dawson gets a big fat F for this move. A move that may have cost the Rockets a shot at contending in the West this year.

You must factor in who he was traded for. I don't think Alston will be a terrible 1-2 season fit as long as Tmac is healthy. Obviously with Tmac out, it changes the entire dynamic of the team. When Tmac is in there, he is their primary ball-handler anyway.

·
Not Just Dumb, Aggie Dumb
18,849 Posts
alston may over dribble some, but you gotta keep in my mind he is the replacement for mike james. did you ever watch james actually run the offense?

...yeah, me neither.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
TonyMontana_83 said:

If you watched how well Alston played in Miami and given that 1) Sura is old and getting injured, 2) Rockets don't have a decent PG, and 3) the Rockets are looking for scoring supports, trading for Rafer makes a lot of sense

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Alston was a good pick up. He could pass the ball well and drain 3's. That move is going to pay of as he gets more comfortable throughout the year

with tmac hurting, he has had to take more of a scoring role. When tmac gets back he could give the ball to tmac, stay behind the 3 pt line, and drain his shots. Hes going to be effective

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
I didn't see much of Alston before he came to Houston, but from four games he appears a very ordinary defender and a poor post feeder. And he can't finish around the rim at all. But he is better than Bob Sura in transition. I think he'll be good at running the break. We were terrible at that last season.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Hakeem said:
I didn't see much of Alston before he came to Houston, but from four games he appears a very ordinary defender and a poor post feeder. And he can't finish around the rim at all. But he is better than Bob Sura in transition. I think he'll be good at running the break. We were terrible at that last season.
That's where I think he'll help you guys a lot. He has his faults, but he's very quick, an excellent ball-handler, and he loves to push the ball. If TMac/Barry/Anderson/Swift/etc. run with him then he'll get you guys some easy buckets. In the half-court he'll move the ball and hit threes if it's bashed into his head not to overdribble. He was fantastic as a 3rd guard in Miami doing just those things.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Unfortunately you may have to get used to the poor finishing. He's quite possibly the worst finishing PG in the NBA next to Kirk Hinrich.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Scinos said:
In terms of +/- numbers, Alston's impact is horrible. The Rockets are +26 when he's off the court. :dead:
According to 82games.com, the Phoenix Suns are +37 with Nash off the court. Not a very telling statistic huh?

He certainly isn't anything special, but at least give them a dozen or so games with T-Mac in the lineup before really passing judgement. Don't underestimate the impact having or not having a guy of that calibre has on the dynamic of a team.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Rafer Alston's fit for Houston can't be properly evaluated until Tracy McGrady returns. Right now, he's being forced to do a lot more than he's suitable for. As the lead play-maker and a key scorer, Alston is not good. But that wasn't supposed to be his role. McGrady was supposed to be the primary ball-handler and lead scorer, while Alston was supposed to be a secondary play-maker, lead the break and shoot open threes.

Any player extended beyond his capabilities will look bad. I think Alston will be a very nice fit alongside McGrady. Right now, without McGrady, everyone except Yao looks bad.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
He's still learning the system, especially how to feed the big man. The Rockets needed a spot up shooter and someone who could penetrate/kick out. His shot has been off to start the season and he's made some costly TO's. Once he gains some confidence and starts knocking down those outside shots he will be a huge asset to this team. I don't think his defense is THAT bad, even when he is beaten off the dribble he appears to recover. The biggest problem has been his communication with Yao. Never gets him the ball in time and struggles to set him up. I don't know if this will improve, but it certainly won't hurt ALL the Rocket guards to get a lesson in 'Post-Feeding 101' from Jon Barry.

Yao is most dangerous when he cuts across the lane and is in front of his man. That happens on every other play but the guards are about 5-6 feet behind the 3 point lane. It's not tough to miss him.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
with McGrady being out its almost impossible to evaluate anyone on this team outside maybe Mutombo.

Maybe its cause of the low standards that Bobby Sura and Mike James set last season but im perfectly fine with Alston's "game." I love how he pushes the ball but I hate the fact he isn't a finisher. He like every other perimeter on the team, cant buy a shot right now but I know he's at least a slightly better shooter than he shown so far....although he hasn't shot terribly. Not as good of defender as James but better than Sura and is lightyears ahead them when it comes to passing.

Im actually very exicited about this team even though they just their 3rd straight 4th qt lead

·
Registered
4 Posts
Minstrel said:
Rafer Alston's fit for Houston can't be properly evaluated until Tracy McGrady returns. Right now, he's being forced to do a lot more than he's suitable for. As the lead play-maker and a key scorer, Alston is not good. But that wasn't supposed to be his role. McGrady was supposed to be the primary ball-handler and lead scorer, while Alston was supposed to be a secondary play-maker, lead the break and shoot open threes.

Any player extended beyond his capabilities will look bad. I think Alston will be a very nice fit alongside McGrady. Right now, without McGrady, everyone except Yao looks bad.

yeah,they all suck,,,,,,damn it

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Minstrel said:

Good point

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
It's amazing how losing changes people's opinion. I remember when everyone was saying Alston was the perfect pickup and now it seems he is the problem. The real problem McGrady is injured.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
HeinzGuderian said:
According to 82games.com, the Phoenix Suns are +37 with Nash off the court. Not a very telling statistic huh?
It is a telling statistic, just not to draw conclusions from in 4 or 5 games. Over a full 82 games it's a pretty good evaluation tool.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts