Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Your Humble Homer
11,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although the style of play will be very similiar, it just won't be the same. I think it's safe to say the Run 'n Gun Suns era has come to an end. (You could argue it ended in '08 when we traded Marion). I don't really count last year, but there are a few memorable moments.

I think we should be posting some of our favorite moments. A little reminiscing for our own sake.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
A few more off the top of my head, all obvious ones.

A compilation of explosive Phoenix Amare(NY Amare is a mess)

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
ha, I was going to put that one up too. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be to come up with specific moments. Plenty of stuff to talk about not so much specific clips.

I mean those backdoor cuts by LB on the baseline. Marion pogosticking an offensive rebound or his ridiculous one handed floaters. Amare's posters in the lane like...

Or go back to Q's head bump after every 3. Ugh, can't believe that team couldn't catch a break and get a title. Definitely had 2 or 3 years where we were right there with everyone.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
these were great times. Rep to anyone who posts a vid in this thread.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
04-05 compilation

Amare block on Miller to end game in 04-05 season

Reactions: Hyperion

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts
The catch 22 about this thread and this team.. is for all the good memories that I think of.. I can think of the most depressing memories of my life as well. NOT posting those. Those have been rehashed plenty.

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts
That Amare block on Miller makes me think that he did that twice that season (regular season.. not Duncan) dammit when we thought Amare would be the best PF in the league for years to come.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
The catch 22 about this thread and this team.. is for all the good memories that I think of.. I can think of the most depressing memories of my life as well. NOT posting those. Those have been rehashed plenty.
You don't truly know how much you love something until you lose it.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Still can't believe we couldn't make it through once. Definitely depressing (

But still a lot of great moments. Grea thread

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
This team was screwed more times than Jenna Jameson. Between injuries for games, parts of games, the suspensions, bad calls.

Not even counting all the fluky shit that happened. About worse luck than maybe any team in NBA history. ALWAYS SOMETHING.

·
Your Humble Homer
11,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The "thing" that I really feel the Suns were missing all those years were two guys that could elevate their game at the same time. Steve Nash could elevate his game from being a great passer, to being a great scorer and that helped change dynamics. But when we had Amare in the playoffs, I can't remember any games where I felt he truly elevated his game to another level. Sure, he scored a lot in quite a few series, but on the defensive end did he take it to the level he could have? Or even take over the game when Nash couldn't get a good look? We just needed ONE more guy that could affect a game on that kind of level. We never had him. So, yeah, we have excuses, but great teams that win championships always have TWO guys that have the ability to elevate their game.

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts
The "thing" that I really feel the Suns were missing all those years were two guys that could elevate their game at the same time. Steve Nash could elevate his game from being a great passer, to being a great scorer and that helped change dynamics. But when we had Amare in the playoffs, I can't remember any games where I felt he truly elevated his game to another level. Sure, he scored a lot in quite a few series, but on the defensive end did he take it to the level he could have? Or even take over the game when Nash couldn't get a good look? We just needed ONE more guy that could affect a game on that kind of level. We never had him. So, yeah, we have excuses, but great teams that win championships always have TWO guys that have the ability to elevate their game.
I think that in 2004-2005 Amare was that guy. He dominated offensively and definitely stepped his activity level up everywhere.. I rip Amare a lot be he has always been one to raise his game in some way in the playoffs..

I'm not sure we were deep enough in 2004-2005 anyways, but the thing that killed us was Joe Johnson breaking his face. He was that guy to create his own shot when the offense stalled. Obviously he left that year and we never had a wing who could create anything until we brought in JRich like 5 years later.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Our best team was suspensions season. Such a different team that yr. Even down Doris and Amare we had a lead all game or most of it, still almost went up 3-2 on SA. I think we take it that yr. Once we lost that, broke the team mentally, lost momentum and I knew were losing with em back.

Yeah even with JJ we had no depth, wouldn't have made a difference.

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts
Yeah we were definitely too shallow in 04-05. I'm just saying it was that gap in between JJ and JRich that really hurt us as far as not having a legit wing threat.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Oh yeah, definitely agree. All just spot up shooters til then or needed Nash.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts