Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the Salary Cap should be dumped.

There should be no more wage restrictions at all. That means any NBA Team could pay any player as much money as they want to.

Also Trades should be abolished and replaced with Transfers. I'll give you an example:

Baron Davis wants to leave the Hornets, but he still has a contract. He negotiates and agrees to terms with the Lakers. Now the Lakers negotiate with the Hornets about a transfer fee that has to be paid for Davis. Both teams agree on a transfer fee of 40 million Dollars. After the Hornets have received the money they cancel Davis contract and Davis is free to sign a totally new contract to totally new terms with the Lakers.

Another change would be that players with expiring contracts should be able to sign with another team during their expiring season. Example:

Ray Allen is in the last year of his contract with the sonics. During the season, the Atlanta Hawks contact Allen and offer him a contract for the next season. Allen agrees and signs the contract during the season. That means that Allen is still playing for the Sonics until the season ends and then goes to Atlanta for the contract that has he has signed during the season. There will be no possibility for the Sonics to match the offer. Of course they could also offer a contract to Allen but is Allens decision where he wants to go.

What you think about that ?

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
I'm all in favor of a salary cap for right now. In the future, who knows what contracts will start looking like, how much revenue is being brought in, etc, so I would be all for it under the right circumstances. The MLB doesn't have a salary cap, and the huge market teams get all the FA's they want, but it's obviously still possible for any type of market to win a championship.

·
Banned
4,016 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KokoTheMonkey</b>!
I'm all in favor of a salary cap for right now. In the future, who knows what contracts will start looking like, how much revenue is being brought in, etc, so I would be all for it under the right circumstances. The MLB doesn't have a salary cap, and the huge market teams get all the FA's they want, but it's obviously still possible for any type of market to win a championship.
i agree :yes:

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Abolishing the salary cap is retarded.

Teams with bad management like New York shouldn't be rewarded and encouraged to "buy" championships.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
NO.. absolutely not... Nba system is fantastic...every team has a real chance to become champion...everything can happen..The the cap is a good way to mantain balanced the league..In a year a weak team can become strong...With the european system that I know well...(and is applied for basket, soccer...) there are some teams that have a good financial status and other teams that are poor... So there are not much surprises..the famous teams are always on top...I love Nba system..and also the draft must be considered...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by <b>MagnusPinus</b>!
NO.. absolutely not... Nba system is fantastic...every team has a real chance to become champion...everything can happen..The the cap is a good way to mantain balanced the league..In a year a weak team can become strong...With the european system that I know well...(and is applied for basket, soccer...) there are some teams that have a good financial status and other teams that are poor... So there are not much surprises..the famous teams are always on top...I love Nba system..and also the draft must be considered...
Why did Chievo Verona almost won the Serie A championship a few years ago, even though they did not have the financial capabilities like Juventus, Inter, Milan.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Then you'll have a team like Chelski (Chelsea FC) which buys players for insane amounts of money. They spent 90+ million pounds this season alone. Think of how much money some big powerhouses would be able to throw.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by <b>darknezx</b>!
Then you'll have a team like Chelski (Chelsea FC) which buys players for insane amounts of money. They spent 90+ million pounds this season alone. Think of how much money some big powerhouses would be able to throw.
There is a difference between Football and Basketball.

In Football many Star Players on one team can Co Exist, while in Basketball they cannot.

Do you really think big Ego guys like Kobe, carmelo, Shaq, Iverson, Garnett could Co exist with three other stars on their team ? No...They would demand a transfer (Not a trade) and that would be the exciting thing to see.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigAmare</b>!
Abolishing the salary cap is retarded.

Teams with bad management like New York shouldn't be rewarded and encouraged to "buy" championships.
Yep.

Just like I enjoy watching basketball, I also enjoy watching good general managers put together championship teams with the same cap as everyone else. Allowing general managers to spend however much they want takes the talent out of being a GM, and I'm dead against that.

The whole transfer idea is interesting though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also look at the German Football League...

Borussia Dortmund, the 2nd richest club in the League almost relegated.

Or this years champion Werder Bremen is also not one the richest teams in the League.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Azamad Bagatov</b>!

Why did Chievo Verona almost won the Serie A championship a few years ago, even though they did not have the financial capabilities like Juventus, Inter, Milan.
It was Verona that won..not Chievo..Anyway it was a very isolated case..and now ih these days the difference between good and weak teams is getting bigger..

even in euro basketball there are super teams...Maccabi of last year was full of stars.. if u have the money in Europe u can buy all the stars u want(even if there is the problem of non-communitaries)..

The Nba system is the best and I see no reason why should be changed..

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Definitely not, unless you want a situation where LA, New York, Chicago and Dallas (Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) dominate the league from year to year.

As we just saw with Rooney, who wants their team to develop an outstanding youngster and just have him shipped to the highest bidder? It's only fun for about 10% of the fans. As much as there isn't much club loyalty in the NBA, this would be the complete end of it.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Also look at the German Football League...

Borussia Dortmund, the 2nd richest club in the League almost relegated.

Or this years champion Werder Bremen is also not one the richest teams in the League.
Please....

Dortmund is bankrupt. They don't have a $ left.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Teams like LA, Dallas, New York and maybe even Miami would just buy their way to a championship. To win a championship, you need a good GM. Buying a championship wouldnt be as rewarding in my opinion

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
I am going to have to vote a big negatory on this. Last thing I want to see is the Knicks actually have a chance to circumvent their terrible management by bringing a bunch of big name players for the max (and you know they would to).

What would stop the Knicks from making a run at a Shaq or T-Mac every two-three years with big money?

I don't like it and I don't want to see anything like that. If you can't a basketball team together capable of winning, you shouldn't be able to pull out your platinum charge card and fix your problems. You made your bed, now lie in it.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!
I am going to have to vote a big negatory on this. Last thing I want to see is the Knicks actually have a chance to circumvent their terrible management by bringing a bunch of big name players for the max (and you know they would to).

What would stop the Knicks from making a run at a Shaq or T-Mac every two-three years with big money?

I don't like it and I don't want to see anything like that. If you can't a basketball team together capable of winning, you shouldn't be able to pull out your platinum charge card and fix your problems. You made your bed, now lie in it.
Exactly,lesser market teams such as NO would start to suck and no-one would want to go there. Cuban would just pay for everything - they guys loaded. Dallas could be
C - Shaq
PF - Dirk
SF - AK47
SG - Ray Allen
PG - ??
Bench: Z-Bo

They could get all these free agents and it just wouldnt be fun

·
Registered
4,448 Posts

There should be no more wage restrictions at all. That means any NBA Team could pay any player as much money as they want to.

Also Trades should be abolished and replaced with Transfers. I'll give you an example:

Baron Davis wants to leave the Hornets, but he still has a contract. He negotiates and agrees to terms with the Lakers. Now the Lakers negotiate with the Hornets about a transfer fee that has to be paid for Davis. Both teams agree on a transfer fee of 40 million Dollars. After the Hornets have received the money they cancel Davis contract and Davis is free to sign a totally new contract to totally new terms with the Lakers.

Another change would be that players with expiring contracts should be able to sign with another team during their expiring season. Example:

Ray Allen is in the last year of his contract with the sonics. During the season, the Atlanta Hawks contact Allen and offer him a contract for the next season. Allen agrees and signs the contract during the season. That means that Allen is still playing for the Sonics until the season ends and then goes to Atlanta for the contract that has he has signed during the season. There will be no possibility for the Sonics to match the offer. Of course they could also offer a contract to Allen but is Allens decision where he wants to go.

I kinda like the idea

·
Premium Member
3,482 Posts

Do you have any idea how important the salary cap is to the NBA? Think about it. What if there was no salary cap, rookies like Lebron James would be signing for many years and loads of money, taking away any money to sign other quality players.

This would lead to a load of 1 man teams, and the big markets with spendy owners would have the best chance of putting together championship teams.

Real bright idea with the transfer fee. So the Lakers are gonna spend 40 million dollars just to get his rights, then in addition to that, they have to sign him to a big long term deal?

What if he suffers a career ending injury? Not only are they paying him for the rest of the contract, but they spent 40 million just to get his rights. What would the transfer be for Shaq? Probably more than the franchise is worth.

Even if the NBA was pulling in a whole lot more revenue, this would not work at all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts