Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's my take as someone who has been watching WAY too much league pass. i've been watching 2-3 nba games a night and then at least one of the recap shows. so to spread the wealth (and the questionable state of my social life) here's my take on the cavs lineup after their win over the magic. their current lineup could be the one they finish the season with, so let's look at it. there's plenty of improvements to be made, but the is officially a strong lineup in the making. just break it down by position:

point -- mcinnis is good and if he's happy he behaves. he's gonna get a ton of minutes once he gets acquainted, will get assists because of z and our badass 2's, so he will be happy here. ollie and then bremer is a deep bench.

twos - lebron and wagner is a dynamic 2 spot combo, especially once lebron learns the position and wags stays healthy. each will be able to drop 30 any night of the week. as long as the minutes stays fair this is a nasty 2 positionally.

sf - here's there a bunch of role players that each can work well. silas has to manage this perfectly. ewill is better than average at most things and that makes him the starter. the bench is workable with two opposite and complementary guys. the gun of kapano and the obnoxious defensive presence of newble both are effective. again, silas has to handle this properly for it to be effective, but it has and can continue to be.

pf - here you have the suddenly monstrous boozer and battie. another nice combo because boozer's offense has really come on as of late. at the same time, boozer has shown to be an occasional defensive liability. some players he just can't cover. a healthy battie can cover just about any pf in the league for when boozer is getting lit up. diop can also swing to the 4 for shut-down mode (as he did tonight against howard).

center -- i still think z should be moved, but i'm not sure for who. i actually wouldn't mind moving him for a last-year overpaid star and another young center project. you can lose the star and his big contract after this year and you have the center project. i think diop has moved past project at this point, although his offense is still shaky, he could start. he could stand to use more minutes for sure. the more he gets sweated up the better he plays. having battie is a big thing here, because he can do a decent impression of a starting center (at least in the east) in a pinch in case diop gets in silas's doghouse. but don't think that this weak frontline defense of boozer and z is gonna stay for long. not with silas as a coach, believe me.

i like the lineup. i'd still be listening to every offer out there for z, and i would kill all the denials about him being shopped. he is TOTALLY being shopped because it's clear his time here is strained. the fans boo him as much as they cheer him, probably because the sympathy for his feet has dissipated and we see the holes in his game. i know that sounds crazy because he was an all-star last year, and believe me the man is respected in this town for everything he went through, but he just doesn't seem to fit into our plans. it seems that most of the exciting and successful sequences happen with him on the bench. trading him to a team that suits him better could be the best thing for Z, because he does have some game.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Nice analysis. But where do you think kedrick brown will be now. It would be a shame to bury him on the bench again. I think he has a lot of potential. Id rather have brown over newble because brown has more upside, and with PT could become a solid player. What do u think about this.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Originally posted by <b>AstheFranchiz2K2</b>!
Nice analysis. But where do you think kedrick brown will be now. It would be a shame to bury him on the bench again. I think he has a lot of potential. Id rather have brown over newble because brown has more upside, and with PT could become a solid player. What do u think about this.
man newble is not a sf or a pf, hes one of those jumpshooters who are too slow and not skilled enough to play 3 and is undersized for 4. Get rid of the guy. Brown has been playing consistantly, they can share the minutes between williams and brown.

I want to see wagner start with lebron at point. i dont like the idea of bron at 2 he just hangs around the perimeter, doesnt rebound, or push the ball. please dont turn into a jump shooter bron.

wagner, is the heart of this team. ive always said, lebron will be the glue that keeps our team together, and running smoothley but wagner will put us over the top and get us wins. He did it today hitting two crucial 3 pointers to lead the cavs to a much needed W.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I hope Silas finds minutes for Kedrick Brown. It will be hard as Jeff Mc, Juanny, LeBron and KO have the makings of a nice 4 some. Ira has yet to prove to me that he should be the first guy to replace EWill.

I don't want the Cavs to move Z. I like the versatility that he and Gana bring us at the center position. They make a nice tandum and offer different things for different situations. Both Gana and Z have a tendency to go cold for periods. Gana, though, needs to learn his low post game and can pick up a ton by watching Z's footwork down low. Z can create his own shot.

Core:
Jeff Mcinnis
Kevin Ollie
Lebron James
DeJuan Wagner
Eric Williams
Kedrick Brown
Carlos Boozer
Tonnie Battie
Z Illguaskus
Gana Diop

Expendable:
JR Bremmer
Ira Newble
Jason Kapono
Ruben Bumche Bumche

Love to hear the Cavs talk again and there is no question this Organization is back on the right track --- It's so nice to say that!

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Lebron
Wags
Kedrick
Boozer
Diop

that could be a killer lineup if they could come toghether as a team, right now they're all so young. Having Wagner with Lebron should wreak havoc on opposing lineups as both can make you pay for overplaying and doubling. The other three are finishers.

i agree that Z is expendable. as good as he is, he's not a great defender and a slow-down post-up isn't needed on this team. i don't think there's any hurry though...as long as he stays healthy.

Their defense should get much better (as has already) with time. Rebounding is the same. At times in the game, we can see that this team is capable of passing well and getting easy shots.

i can't believe that this team will get two top 18 draft picks this year. they could look to trade or draft another wave of developing talent. Pavel? Ben Gordon? With two picks to add to an already strong nucleus, the sky's the limit for this team.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by <b>AstheFranchiz2K2</b>!
i should have added kedrick to the depth charts at both 2 and 3. he impressed with his minutes filling in for wagner immediately after the trade, so he'll continue to get minutes. but i don't see him being a key part of things now that we got mcinnis and wags healthy. but he's a keeper in my book, especially since bremer's future looks bleak. i'd put kedrick above both newble and kapano on the depth chart, but more at the 2 overall, leaving him behind both bron and wags. it's a long season though and i think he'll be an important part of going forward.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Originally posted by <b>tpb2</b>!

where did you get that? a couple games? I love Wagner, but I dont see this.
heart as in pivitol, central focus of the teams offense. IF youve watched any games last year, and the ones hes played in this year, you would know that when wags plays well the team plays well.

Hes a sort of guy, that just amazes me every time hes on the court, because he makes those shots when they count. Very iversonish in terms of the bigs shots he makes. im not comparing their skills but their ability to make those shots that just make u go... woh

The kid knows how to get to the hoops, knows how to use his frame, and get off shots has a steaky J, a great floater. What else, he is an offensive power house. To win hoops u need hoops. In time Wags Will be the focal point of the cavs offense.

As good as lebron is, in terms of scoring, i think wagner is 2nd to none. Now do i have to bring up his highschool games or his play in memphis?

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I guess you all didn't see Z actually running downcourt during one particular fast break. He didn't get to finish it but he was definitely there. Frankly I think his defense has been much better of late however it still seems that the weakside tends to be slow to rotate (at least early in games) which allows for some defensive breakdowns.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Good post DJRaz. That was the best post I have ever read that didn't include capitals. :grinning:

I think the Cavs are doing great as far as rebuilding goes but if they could get a player like Kwame Brown of something for Ilgauskas then that could turn nasty. It also could prove to be their downfall as Kwame is as inconsitent as anybody in this league. Imagine if Brown put up 15 and 10 numbers in a few years and Boozer continued his rampage. Wagner could ight up the scoreboard, Bron could hold the team together and Williams could pick and choose where he wants to be effective on any given night. Scary huh?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts