Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I believe the pistons can win the leastern conference next year. I think there biggest weakness last year was defensivly at the point. I saw kenny anderson burn atkins way too much (game 5 was painful I was there damn I hate the celtics). Billups is a bigger pg that from my understanding can play d. Obviously there are a few wild cards a) will stack and uncle cliffy show up for the playoffs? Stack hit a big shot in game 5 against tor and played well in game 1 against the celtics but other than that was non existent in the playoffs same with robinson. b) what will the kid memhet okur do? From what Joe d has said and from the summer league games this kid is supposed to able to shoot the rock from all over the court hopefully he can develop into a productive player cause the pistons could use another shooter. c) Rodney white needs to do something because he has the potential I have read he was considered by many to be the most talented guy in the 2001 draft. I know he only played a yr of college ball and it was at unc charlotte (mid major) and coach carlisle loves guys who can play d (not whites strong point right now) but whenever he did get minutes last year he always would look lost it could be because the only time he got in the game was when they were up or down by 20 pts and carlisle was not exactly calling plays but still I hoped for more from him. I believe with an improved backcourt and hopefully they can get consistent help from their foreign players rebraca, okur and even ratko varda (what an ugly guy) they can win the east and then get crushed in the finals by either the lake show or sac kings. What are the other pistons fans expectations for this year?

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
Originally posted by Brian
I believe the pistons can win the leastern conference next year. I think there biggest weakness last year was defensivly at the point. I saw kenny anderson burn atkins way too much (game 5 was painful I was there damn I hate the celtics). Billups is a bigger pg that from my understanding can play d. Obviously there are a few wild cards a) will stack and uncle cliffy show up for the playoffs? Stack hit a big shot in game 5 against tor and played well in game 1 against the celtics but other than that was non existent in the playoffs same with robinson. b) what will the kid memhet okur do? From what Joe d has said and from the summer league games this kid is supposed to able to shoot the rock from all over the court hopefully he can develop into a productive player cause the pistons could use another shooter. c) Rodney white needs to do something because he has the potential I have read he was considered by many to be the most talented guy in the 2001 draft. I know he only played a yr of college ball and it was at unc charlotte (mid major) and coach carlisle loves guys who can play d (not whites strong point right now) but whenever he did get minutes last year he always would look lost it could be because the only time he got in the game was when they were up or down by 20 pts and carlisle was not exactly calling plays but still I hoped for more from him. I believe with an improved backcourt and hopefully they can get consistent help from their foreign players rebraca, okur and even ratko varda (what an ugly guy) they can win the east and then get crushed in the finals by either the lake show or sac kings. What are the other pistons fans expectations for this year?
Welcome to the board Brian. Excellent post, I look forward to reading more of your thoughts in the future.

Many Piston fans, including me, are expecting huge things out of our team this year. With the type of season the Stons had last year, I see no reason why the Pistons wouldn't be considered favorites in the Central Division. We made absolutely no changes for the worse and brought in a PG that will really help. Billups is a guy that can really light it up and should be a great addition to our starting line-up. With him, Stack, and Cliffy in the starting line-up and Chucky, Corliss, and Zelly coming off the bench scoring shouldn't be the big problem it was last year. Giving Rodney more time definately won't hurt the scoring either :) . And, from what I've read, Mehmet can score as well. It would appear that we shouldn't have a problem running a 9 or 10 man rotation this year. Through all this I forgot to mention Prince. Another guy that should be in the mix for playing time as well. He's more mature than what Rodney was last year and I fully expect him to help out as well, especially after going through 4 years of college.

With all that said, the East is going to be a tough conference. Boston, New Jersey, Toronto, Milwaukee, Charlotte, Indiana, Miami, Philadelphia, Orlando, and Atlanta are all going to be tough teams. Plus, you never know about that Jordan guy in Washington or how much of an impact McDyess will have on the Big Apple. And don't forget, Chandler and Curry are one year older, with JayWill and Jalen. I can't put a finger on who the top team is as of now, but it will be exciting...that's for sure!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I am happy to find such a great board (the one on nbadraft.net was horrid at times). I agree with you about the east. I think the only team that has no legitimate shot at the playoffs next year are the cavs. I think right now the top 3 from last year will finish again in the top 3 and then the rest of the east will be wide open. The Heat when healthy last year were good and with the edition of butler should be even better. I figure the bucks will be in the playoffs if the players don't quit on karl again. The knicks trading for mcydess was solid another possible playoff team if healthy. Of course the bulls should be better and hopefully they will be because I would love to see a revival of the piston/bulls in the late 80's and early 90's. Is beating the celtics/bulls in the semis and then the celtics/bulls in the conference finals and meeting the lakers in the finals every pistons fan dream season? but I digress. Sorry about this post getting so long I promise I won't let it happen too often.

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
Originally posted by Brian
Thanks I am happy to find such a great board (the one on nbadraft.net was horrid at times). I agree with you about the east. I think the only team that has no legitimate shot at the playoffs next year are the cavs. I think right now the top 3 from last year will finish again in the top 3 and then the rest of the east will be wide open. The Heat when healthy last year were good and with the edition of butler should be even better. I figure the bucks will be in the playoffs if the players don't quit on karl again. The knicks trading for mcydess was solid another possible playoff team if healthy. Of course the bulls should be better and hopefully they will be because I would love to see a revival of the piston/bulls in the late 80's and early 90's. Is beating the celtics/bulls in the semis and then the celtics/bulls in the conference finals and meeting the lakers in the finals every pistons fan dream season? but I digress. Sorry about this post getting so long I promise I won't let it happen too often.
Long posts are cool too. I enjoy reading them. :D

I don't think the Bulls will be ready to be conference contenders next year. They should be improved, but even making the play-offs might be stretching it a little. In the future they are going to be great, and all indications are that we will be too. (Top draft pick, Max to give free agent) Down the line in 2-3 years this could develop into a great rivalry once again. The Celtics should be a good team for the next few years. It's the return of the old guard: Detroit, Boston, Chicago...I love it!

Also, I'd like to point out that there will be a huge target on our backs this year. It's one thing to win the division title, it's a completely different thing to repeat. It's not going to be easy. The Pistons need to take each game one at a time and not get overconfident. If this happens, I have no doubt they will be one of the top 4 seeds in the Eastern Conference once again. This time with a healthy Zelly, we will beat those Bostonians.

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
Somewhat on this topic...

What are you guys expecting for regular season results this year? I think 45-50 wins is certainly attainable with a top 4 seeding. With all the teams that will be competing for 8 playoff spots it won't be an easy go. But, come playoff time we will be a team to be reckoned with.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The Pistons shouldn't slip that much if at all

Detroit still can win the division and even the east since it's so wide open. Gotta get home court advantage for the playoffs. The thing I worry about is the rebounding and scoring. Can someone else besides Ben Wallace step up and give 6-8 rebounds a night? Can the team increase its scoring 6-8 points a night? Those are the major needs. The way the Pistons play defense , they are going to at worse with bad luck and injury, break even at41-41 tho we all want a lot more.

I will say 52-30 how is that? AQ slight increase yes/ But considering the"Stons won't sneak up anymore and some of the folks maybe have improved, that's not a lot to ask.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts