Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
The final score, 96-87 Blazers, was a lot closer than the game actually was. Portland was up by 20 at times. The Rockets did make a run, but the Blazers were never really threaten.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The final score, 96-87 Blazers, was a lot closer than the game actually was. Portland was up by 20 at times. The Rockets did make a run, but the Blazers were never really threaten.
A couple things I got out of this game...

I can see some advantages to small ball. All of our big guys are in foul trouble because apparently, with physics being what it is, you can toss a 6'6" center a lot farther than a 7'0" center. Every bit of contact looked worse than it was, and the big men paid for it.

When we're one, we're cooking. There were shades of the Miracle Minute in the second and third quarters. Obviously, Houston of today is no San Antonio back then, but we were able to pester with good defense and run on the break. In all honesty, I thought the bench did this very efficient technique a lot better than the starting unit.

Webster looks great. Outlaw had a great game (he's a little inconsistent, but that's fine for a reserve). I think when those two are on the floor together, good things will happen. Martell's strong enough to help Travis guard PF's, and both seem to look for each other on offense, and more ball movement is generally good.

Overall, a little ugly, but it was a good win.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
A couple things I got out of this game...

I can see some advantages to small ball. All of our big guys are in foul trouble because apparently, with physics being what it is, you can toss a 6'6" center a lot farther than a 7'0" center. Every bit of contact looked worse than it was, and the big men paid for it.
The small ball effectively got the Portland bigs into foul trouble, yet even with that, Houston was dominated on the boards and the game was basically a blow-out from the mid-2nd quarter on.

When we're one, we're cooking. There were shades of the Miracle Minute in the second and third quarters. Obviously, Houston of today is no San Antonio back then, but we were able to pester with good defense and run on the break. In all honesty, I thought the bench did this very efficient technique a lot better than the starting unit.
I thought the bench did an outstanding job. It was telling when Houston had to put their starters back in to stop the big run in the 2nd by the Miller-led team on the floor.

Webster looks great. Outlaw had a great game (he's a little inconsistent, but that's fine for a reserve). I think when those two are on the floor together, good things will happen. Martell's strong enough to help Travis guard PF's, and both seem to look for each other on offense, and more ball movement is generally good.
I was definitely happy to see Webster perform as he did. If he can hit that corner 3, defend a little, and attack the rim once in a while, I don't think the team loses anything at the SF spot.

Overall, a little ugly, but it was a good win.
I found I was asking myself if last year's team could control a game in which they had 26 TOs. I don't think they could have. I don't foresee too many more games that sloppy. I actually feel very positive after that performance. Should be an exciting season, eh?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The small ball effectively got the Portland bigs into foul trouble, yet even with that, Houston was dominated on the boards and the game was basically a blow-out from the mid-2nd quarter on.
Exactly; Oden was stymied, and every time someone bounced off of Joel or LMA it was a foul, but heck, even Outlaw was getting rebounds. Houston's going to have a lot of games like this.

I found I was asking myself if last year's team could control a game in which they had 26 TOs. I don't think they could have. I don't foresee too many more games that sloppy. I actually feel very positive after that performance. Should be an exciting season, eh?
I totally agree. 26 TO's last year would have destroyed us. We were running, Houston was running... but neither team is really good at running, so there were a lot of miscues. In that respect, the two teams were very similar. But we had size, scoring, and depth on them. I wish we could have clobbered them a little more, but maybe we'll do that later in the month.

If we slow the ball down a bit (we had something like 100 possessions in the game, which is way over our average), we'll lower the turnovers... or, we could keep running, and maybe accept that we're a 15-20 TO/night team, and just try to blind them with talent. You know, keep coming at them in waves. I think the team can be successful in either situation.

I'm personally quite excited!

Also, it's good to talk ball with you! :)

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Oden has the most problems with smaller teams that send a fast guard to double him for strips more than when he's going up against a larger lineup. He still needs to keep the ball up higher.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Oden has the most problems with smaller teams that send a fast guard to double him for strips more than when he's going up against a larger lineup. He still needs to keep the ball up higher.
Bingo. Deeper positioning, elbows out with ball high, then power dribble and explode. It will come. He hasn't had to do those things in HS and college to be successful, but he has the skills and intelligence to learn how to play in the post effectively.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts