Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seems like Nellie's gracious exit wasn't really all it was made out to be by the media. Reports are now coming out that Nellie handled this really poorly. He didn't even ask Mark himself to resign as coach, he had Del Harris do it for him! Then making things worse, Nellie seemed to be doing the job for money cause his passion has been gone longer than many of us had thought. If he wasn't getting paid what he was he would have basically forced Mark Cuban to fire him. Leaving Cuban as the bad guy in the whole situation.

I take back some of the positive things I've said about Nellie now. This it's ridiculous that he had to have Del do it for him. His ego wouldn't allow him to be man enough to ask Mark face-to-face. I think as fans we should be upset that Nellie put the organization in a position like this. I don't care how funny he is or how much he did for the organization. He handled this very unprofessional and the players were kept guessing who the real coach was.

Mark Cuban has taken A LOT of the criticism from the local and national media of how he handles the team. I think it's time he gets A LOT of credit for how he handled this situation. He kept all of the problem's in house and let Nellie decide his own way of exiting. Then offering him a position as an consultant, no way I would have done that. Mark Cuban was the one who handled this with real class. Putting the team and organization before himself and Nellie's problem's. He is an even greater owner to me now that the facts are coming out about this whole situation.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Not surprised if you look at the past couple of years. I believe that it started during the 2003 WCF playoff run when Nellie refused to play Dirk in game 7 and it progressed and came to a head when Nash was let go.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The story goes that Nellie and Del were fishing and they got talking on the subject and had a man to man talk and nellie decided to finish his career on his terms. The next morning both were in Nellie's office talking and then Cubes comes and Nellie gives him the news and he was in shock a bit. Then they hugged and shed a few tears and were all left satisfied.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts