Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Wizards entered the offseason wanting to accomplish a few things. They wanted to get bigger in the backcourt and they wanted to address their lack of athleticism.

By drafting Dixon, Jeffries, and Grizzard as well as signing Hughes and Russell, and trading Rip for Stack they have accomplished this. Whether it all works out reamains to be seen but they have definitely tipped the scales toward a very athletic team. Next season Whitney and Russell have team options and Lue, Vaught, and Williams are coming off the books. With Navarro coming in, this team is radically different than the team that ended the season last year. The bigs have remained outside of Popeye. And though I believe Stackhouse will be retained by the Wizards, if he leaves they also have plenty of capspace to obtain a FA, and if this summer is any indication that could be key to a surprise or two.

It is definitely a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I agree the Wizards have at least made the attempt to tackle their needs, which was size in the backcourt and athleticism. Unfortunately, they ignored good shooting. :)

The only main concern I have now is that they have too many swingmen. Stack, Hughes, Dixon, and MJ (and later Navarro) all play the sg position. It remains to be seen whether Hughes and Dixon can be effective as pgs.

For some reason, I don't think MJ is done yet. With all these young players on the team, I expect MJ might consolidate his talent, and go for just 1 young all-star calibre player.

As for Stack opting out...im not worried. With todays CBA restrictions, it makes it very difficult for FA to sign with new teams. And btw who will have the caproom to pay an FA anyway? Denver, Utah, San Antonio, and Miami come to mind. I don't think any of those teams would want Stack for the max anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts