Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link
One published report Saturday had the Sixers trying to reacquire former center/forward Theo Ratliff, now with the Atlanta Hawks. King usually doesn't comment specifically on rumors, but he said agents do like to get their players' names out there.

"I think the next two weeks, you'll see a lot of names thrown out there, a lot of rumors," King said. "A lot of them will happen, a lot of them won't happen. There are a lot of teams in the league that used to take on a lot of salary and didn't care about the (luxury) tax. Now they're tax conscious, so that makes it tough."

Another challenge with trades is you have to have the salaries match within 15 percent (plus $100,000). Ratliff, for example, makes $10.1 million this year and will make $10.9 million next season. It's unlikely Sixers forward Glenn Robinson ($10.4 million) would be traded back to Atlanta, so the Sixers would likely have to offer a package deal or involve other teams.

Ratliff was traded to Atlanta in February 2001. The Sixers were 41-14 at that time, but Ratliff had suffered a hand injury. The Sixers felt they had a chance to compete for a championship, so they traded him to Atlanta for center Dikembe Mutombo

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RoyWilliams</b>!
Link
One published report Saturday had the Sixers trying to reacquire former center/forward Theo Ratliff, now with the Atlanta Hawks. King usually doesn't comment specifically on rumors, but he said agents do like to get their players' names out there.

"I think the next two weeks, you'll see a lot of names thrown out there, a lot of rumors," King said. "A lot of them will happen, a lot of them won't happen. There are a lot of teams in the league that used to take on a lot of salary and didn't care about the (luxury) tax. Now they're tax conscious, so that makes it tough."

Another challenge with trades is you have to have the salaries match within 15 percent (plus $100,000). Ratliff, for example, makes $10.1 million this year and will make $10.9 million next season. It's unlikely Sixers forward Glenn Robinson ($10.4 million) would be traded back to Atlanta, so the Sixers would likely have to offer a package deal or involve other teams.

Ratliff was traded to Atlanta in February 2001. The Sixers were 41-14 at that time, but Ratliff had suffered a hand injury. The Sixers felt they had a chance to compete for a championship, so they traded him to Atlanta for center Dikembe Mutombo
What would the purpose be? If we could trade Snow or Thomas I would be down. At least Ratliff's contract would come off the books at the end of next season.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Don't Snow and Thomas both have longer contracts then Theo? If their point is to clear cap, that would be counterproductive.

-Petey

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!
Don't Snow and Thomas both have longer contracts then Theo? If their point is to clear cap, that would be counterproductive.

-Petey
Yeah but stability is what Atlanta might be looking for. They can take our trash for all I care

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
So they are not looking to clear cap but stability among their roster?

-Petey

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!
So they are not looking to clear cap but stability among their roster?

-Petey
I know they have been looking for a PG for the longest time. Enter Snow. I dont know about the PF position though. I dont know what they're roster looks like but Kenny Thomas is a vet while only 26

·
Registered
414 Posts
As much as I liked Theo when he was here, the team clearly needs to get younger, so I'd take my lumps with Dalemberrt and monitor his improvement.For the East, Dalembert/Jackson is not too bad.

If Atlanta wanted to get cap spece, then Snow, MacCulllogh and Salmons works as a trade, salary wise. But I don't like it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
as i said before i dont want to see snow in other team because is one of the besters in your position in the league in my opinion .

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Oh yeah, I am a fan of Snow too. I think trading him would be a mistake. He is not fast now, him losing a step would not hurt his game as much as it would hurt Marbury's, AI's, Kidd's... but he has the ability to play with longevity like Mark Jackson.

-Petey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts