Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With so many revived teams making turn arounds into contention this year, and a few perennial play off teams falling out of the mix, there are really no "stories" or rivalries to make this post season more interesting and intense.

If you look through the playoff matchups right now... none of the teams meeting each other have any history. Except Sac and Dallas, but this year won't be the same.

This year may be a foundation for some rivalries in the future...

·
Banned
662 Posts
Spurs/Suns

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Really...Indiana/Detroit is all the rivalry we need in the postseason.

There could very well be a death if they play each other in the postseason. What more do you want.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Miami - Indiana, Indiana won last year's second round 4 - 2 and this season 3 - 0 against the Heat...

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Well if the Playoffs started today:

East:
1. Miami vs. 8. Cleveland - Shaq/Wade vs. the King (that's a huge storyline, even if it's a sweep)
4. Chicago vs. 5. Indiana - The upstart young Lovabulls vs. the depleted Pacers with Jermaine O'Neal coming back. Interesting because it's Chicago and Indiana. Not far away. Reggie's swan song?
3. Boston vs. 6. Washington - The new Wiz taken on Toine and the Celtics. Should be an entertaining series where both teams want to be scoring in the 100's and may have a few 116-113 type games. Should be the kind of series you can lock into. A new rivalry may build.
2. Detroit vs. 7. Philadelphia - Larry Brown vs. his old team in the playoffs. Is AI and C-Webb enough to give the Pistons a series and possibly steal it? Who knows? C-Webb is from Michigan too, so he's going to want to show and prove in front of the home folks. Would be an interesting series.

West:
1. Phoenix vs. 8. Memphis - Phoenix is the favorite, but the Grizz have proven they can play with the Suns. Could the Suns beat the Grizz in a playoff series, that will be played on roller skates? It's possible. Does going small play into the Grizz hands, since they have no real dominant C (next to Gasol)? I'd expect this series to go 6-7 games.
4. Dallas vs. 5. Sacramento - The Mavs and the Kings are noticeably different from the last few years of their classic playoff battles, but that doesn't mean that they still can't have an entertaining series. Another series that should go 6-7 games, with the teams scoring in the 110's. There is a rivalry between these two teams and the owners.
3. Seattle vs. 6. Houston - Ray Allen vs. Tracy McGrady. A rematch of 2001, when T-Mac called Big Dog, the little puppy for the Bucks. Yao Ming is the ex-factor. Can the Sonics playing Euro ball all year to be one of the surprise teams, get over their injury woes? They're limping into the playoffs incredibly banged up and could be ripe for an upset by the veteran-laden Rockets. Should be another long series.
2. San Antonio vs. 7. Denver - Denver is one of the hottest teams in the league and Tim Duncan will be coming back from injury. The Nuggets have the bigs to contend with Duncan, but will they be able to score enough on the Spurs to win. If they can sucker the Spurs into an up and down game, it's possible. Should be one of the more entertaining series in the playoffs (although I expect the Nuggets to move up and miss playing the Spurs).

So as you can see, I don't see us missing anything. I think the playoffs would be just as exciting.

Reactions: Gripni

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
HKF said:

4. Dallas vs. 5. Sacramento - The Mavs and the Kings are noticeably different from the last few years of their classic playoff battles, but that doesn't mean that they still can't have an entertaining series. Another series that should go 6-7 games, with the teams scoring in the 110's. There is a rivalry between these two teams and the owners.

This series will go no further then 5 games...Dallas will totaly dominate this series...

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
HKF said:

East:
1. Miami vs. 8. Cleveland - Shaq/Wade vs. the King (that's a huge storyline, even if it's a sweep)
4. Chicago vs. 5. Indiana - The upstart young Lovabulls vs. the depleted Pacers with Jermaine O'Neal coming back. Interesting because it's Chicago and Indiana. Not far away. Reggie's swan song?
3. Boston vs. 6. Washington - The new Wiz taken on Toine and the Celtics. Should be an entertaining series where both teams want to be scoring in the 100's and may have a few 116-113 type games. Should be the kind of series you can lock into. A new rivalry may build.
2. Detroit vs. 7. Philadelphia - Larry Brown vs. his old team in the playoffs. Is AI and C-Webb enough to give the Pistons a series and possibly steal it? Who knows? C-Webb is from Michigan too, so he's going to want to show and prove in front of the home folks. Would be an interesting series.

West:
1. Phoenix vs. 8. Memphis - Phoenix is the favorite, but the Grizz have proven they can play with the Suns. Could the Suns beat the Grizz in a playoff series, that will be played on roller skates? It's possible. Does going small play into the Grizz hands, since they have no real dominant C (next to Gasol)? I'd expect this series to go 6-7 games.
3. Seattle vs. 6. Houston - Ray Allen vs. Tracy McGrady. A rematch of 2001, when T-Mac called Big Dog, the little puppy for the Bucks. Yao Ming is the ex-factor. Can the Sonics playing Euro ball all year to be one of the surprise teams, get over their injury woes? They're limping into the playoffs incredibly banged up and could be ripe for an upset by the veteran-laden Rockets. Should be another long series.
2. San Antonio vs. 7. Denver - Denver is one of the hottest teams in the league and Tim Duncan will be coming back from injury. The Nuggets have the bigs to contend with Duncan, but will they be able to score enough on the Spurs to win. If they can sucker the Spurs into an up and down game, it's possible. Should be one of the more entertaining series in the playoffs (although I expect the Nuggets to move up and miss playing the Spurs).

So as you can see, I don't see us missing anything. I think the playoffs would be just as exciting.
OK. I'm ready to fastforward to May now.

Lets GET IT ON!

·
Registered
78 Posts
i think if cleveland can hold on to the 8th seed people will begin to see a great rivalry between wade and lebron. obviously the edge will go to wade since he is only the 2nd option on his team. but this could definitely be the beginning of something

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unfortunately how it stands now, Detroit & Indiana wont meet unless Indiana beats Miami in the 2nd round and gets to the Conf Finals.

·
Registered
17 Posts
sherwin said:
Unfortunately how it stands now, Detroit & Indiana wont meet unless Indiana beats Miami in the 2nd round and gets to the Conf Finals.
that would be awesome, if they could have a rematch in the Conference finals :p

but you're right that requires indy beats heat, although they do seem to do pretty well against them...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts