Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
I think Thibs worked some miracles with teams that had been undermanned by injury and they're definitely going to miss him

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Hopefully this opens Bulls fan's eyes to the people who are running this side show circus. If the front office wants its input in games to matter so badly, come down and coach the Flipping TEAM! Pax is a coward, the front office is a joke and people wonder why top talent avoids the Bulls like its the plague.

Oh its the high taxes, the bad weather, the crime the.... Doesn't stop the Cubs, Blackhawks and Bears from doing their jobs.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Oh its the high taxes, the bad weather, the crime the.... Doesn't stop the Cubs, Blackhawks and Bears from doing their jobs.
I was with you until this. The Cubs and the Bears are better organizations than the Bulls? C'mon man...lol

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I was with you until this. The Cubs and the Bears are better organizations than the Bulls? C'mon man...lol
I don't know if this is sarcasm, but yeah the Cubs and Bears are light years better than the Bulls right now. The 90's are gone.

The Cubs are creating a mega franchise and the Bears as incompetent as they are, basically can sign anyone they want.

·
Super Moderator
14,320 Posts
I don't know if this is sarcasm, but yeah the Cubs and Bears are light years better than the Bulls right now. The 90's are gone.

The Cubs are creating a mega franchise and the Bears as incompetent as they are, basically can sign anyone they want.
NFL free agency isn't quite comparable to NBA free agency. This would be a decent topic for an OT thread... the Cubs seem pointed in the right direction, but it is highly debatable what the best run franchise in town is (or rather, who is in second right now behind the Blackhawks). The Bulls have been in the playoffs more consistently than the Bears... who just ended the Phil Emery/Marc Trestman era, hard to give the organization a strong vote of confidence after that debacle. It is a pretty mixed bag all around... my White Sox included.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
When were "those days"? It's not like a ton of coaches had that much tenure when Sloan was in Utah, either. Even before that, coaches that coached the same team for over 12 years were always an anomaly. Sloan is an outlier.
LOL...really never. I am just saying you can't really point to a single example of a long tenured coach like Sloan these days. Popovich doesn't count since he is basically their GM as well.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

NFL free agency isn't quite comparable to NBA free agency. This would be a decent topic for an OT thread... the Cubs seem pointed in the right direction, but it is highly debatable what the best run franchise in town is (or rather, who is in second right now behind the Blackhawks). The Bulls have been in the playoffs more consistently than the Bears... who just ended the Phil Emery/Marc Trestman era, hard to give the organization a strong vote of confidence after that debacle. It is a pretty mixed bag all around... my White Sox included.

I will agree about the Bears, they are very incompetent and while free agency is way different than the NBA, the Bears do seem to do whatever they want in terms of getting who they want, when they want.

No doubt the Hawks are the best run team right now in terms of PR and success, but they do make a ton of questionable roster moves.

The Bulls wish they were in the Cubs shoes right now.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Whoever it is, it almost surely will be a downgrade.
Downgrade compared to Thibodeau staying here? Thing people need to realize is this isn't just a front office vs. Thibodeau issue here. Thibodeau clearly was having some issues with his players too. Not all of them but certainly some, and perhaps even some of our key top flight players. I feel like that issue has been played down significantly in the media, in favor of the front office vs. Thibodeau discussion. Unless we go full Vinny Del Negro on the next hire (and Hoiberg is a good coach, certainly not a Del Negro level hire), I think the next Bulls coach easily out weighs the alternative of forcing Thibodeau to stick around another season or two in a toxic environment.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hopefully this opens Bulls fan's eyes to the people who are running this side show circus. If the front office wants its input in games to matter so badly, come down and coach the Flipping TEAM! Pax is a coward, the front office is a joke and people wonder why top talent avoids the Bulls like its the plague.

Bears?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
The Kimmo Timonen trade, and Antoine Vermette outside of a few great moments had been almost non existent this post season. They gave up alot for these 2 guys.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Does this mean our window to compete for a championship has closed for the time being? Is it closed even if Thibs sticks around? Was it ever really open?
Unless we hire someone unqualified, I don't think this impacts the Bulls' window. Look no further than what Steve Kerr has done with Golden State. Kerr had zero coaching experience 12 months ago. Thibodeau nearly took the Bulls to the Finals in his 1st season as a head coach.

When are we going to start hearing some player reactions (maybe I've just missed them)? The players have been pretty quiet throughout this season, despite the issue hanging over their heads.
I am very curious about this as well.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
when teams are lining up to bid for his services it kind of makes you think, doesn't it?
There is little evidence this is the case at the moment. We've heard Orlando is interested, and maybe New Orleans. Both are great fits. Orlando may end up choosing Skiles, though.

I think many teams are rightfully concerned about Thibodeau's flaws as a coach. Overplaying guys, pushing too hard in practice, lack of innovation on the offensive side of the ball, ability to get along with others. That said, I am 100% certain some teams are interested and he will get a job again, perhaps this summer.

I am not going to want a guy though just because some other team wants him. That would be a silly decision making strategy. You hire a guy based on what your team's needs are.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Maybe we should hire Ron Adams who was apart of the Derrick Rose mvp season and the current Golden State run. ..... oh wait never mind, another successful coach the bulls fired because they could not get along with him.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Maybe we should hire Ron Adams who was apart of the Derrick Rose mvp season and the current Golden State run. ..... oh wait never mind, another successful coach the bulls fired because they could not get along with him.
Not the reason they fired him.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Nobody really knows why they fired him. Some say he did not respect the front office, some said he leaked info to the press, others say he fought with Gar. Either way, I think it's safe to say they did not like Adams.

Here is a bit from last year.

"It's still a bit mystifying to me," Adams said. "And I don't understand it. And if the intent was to be hurtful to me and my family, it succeeded."
[?]
The Tribune reported in June that Forman took exception to Adams voicing displeasure over certain personnel moves. Adams confirmed this, saying he was told he "made a disparaging remark about the organization outside the walls of the Berto Center."

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Nobody really knows why they fired him. Some say he did not respect the front office, some said he leaked info to the press, others say he fought with Gar. Either way, I think it's safe to say they did not like Adams.

Here is a bit from last year.

"It's still a bit mystifying to me," Adams said. "And I don't understand it. And if the intent was to be hurtful to me and my family, it succeeded."
[?]
The Tribune reported in June that Forman took exception to Adams voicing displeasure over certain personnel moves. Adams confirmed this, saying he was told he "made a disparaging remark about the organization outside the walls of the Berto Center."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/bulls/2013/07/01/gar-forman-tom-thibodeau-chicago-ron-adams/2480893/
Adams rejoined the Bulls in 2010 after serving as an assistant with the Oklahoma City Thunder following a five-year run in Chicago from 2003 to 2008. The way this move came down was unusual because head coaches generally set their staff, yet it was the general manager pulling the plug in this case.

"Here's what I don't want to get into," Forman said. "We make tens if not hundreds of decisions every year. I don't think we want to evaluate every decision, who's on board. We communicate about every decision, and at the end of the day, I've got to make the decisions I feel are best for this organization moving forward. We'll unite and we'll move forward. Tom makes the decisions on the floor. He's our head coach. I think he's as good a coach as there is in the NBA. He does a great job.

"Do I agree with absolutely every decision he makes?" he continued. "We'll communicate, probably not. But at the end of the day, I'm going to support the decisions he makes and I think he's going to support decisions that I make.
As long as once they're made, we unite and move forward because the goal is to continue to get this team better and to compete for a championship."
essentially from this i get that the front office demands that you go along with their decisions because its not your place to judge their decisions but to work with the players they bring in .

everybody just does their job. but at the same time if you have a problem you handle it within the org.

butting in with things like minutes restrictions and leaking their version of the events to local press seem to be an overstepping of their bounds by even their protocols.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts