Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching several pre-season games thus far, there are some patterns that are beginning to emerge in this young Bulls team. Some of the more notable items:

(1) Eddy Curry MAY be better than Shaq eventually. Call me crazy, but he is a better athlete than ever expected and is emerging as a major threat down low because of his size, agility and moves. At just 19, the things he is currently capable certainly exceed Shaq at the same age. He is THE next dominant center in this league.

(2) I've said it before, but JWill is clearly our starting PG. Don't even bother to look at the stats between he and Jamal, because those simply don't tell the story. Bottom line: When Jay is in the game, the Bulls offense flourishes. When Jamal's running the show, it's the same stagnant Bulls offense of the past 4 seasons. Jay breathes life into this often listless team and that alone should warrant the starting nod. Some of his passes are simply amazing.

(3) Donyell Marshall was a much better off season signing than I had expected him to be. We really need his rebounding presence and he just adds stability to the team when he's on the floor. His midrange jumper is also something we've been lacking from our frontline.

(4) I have spoken out in favor of Fizer before, but I will digress. Each time I watch him it's like he;s just playing his own game. It's the Marcus Fizer show and his presence on the court almost always coincides with our scoring droughts. Coincidence? I think not. And did anyone else notice his fat belly when he was tucking in his jersey and entering the game? Was I hallucinating or is Fizer just plain FAT around the middle? Maybe he really is 285 these days. And his arms also look less defined. I think he's a vicitm of the Shawn Kemp syndrome.

(5) I worry about our running the triangle offense w/o Jalen or Jay in the game. It's clear to me that for the triangle to work, you need two guys that can create. When we try and run it with guys like Crawford, Erob and Fizer it just stagnates.

(6) Play Baxter MORE!!! I'd rather give his overachieving azz minutes than Fizer's underachieving azz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
593 Posts
Good observations. Your point about Fizer's weight is interesting. I thought he was a gym junky, I can't imagine him getting fat. Anyone see Fizer as being a bit chunky?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
58,359 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ChiBullsFan</b>!
After watching several pre-season games thus far, there are some patterns that are beginning to emerge in this young Bulls team. Some of the more notable items:

(1) Eddy Curry MAY be better than Shaq eventually. Call me crazy, but he is a better athlete than ever expected and is emerging as a major threat down low because of his size, agility and moves. At just 19, the things he is currently capable certainly exceed Shaq at the same age. He is THE next dominant center in this league.

(2) I've said it before, but JWill is clearly our starting PG. Don't even bother to look at the stats between he and Jamal, because those simply don't tell the story. Bottom line: When Jay is in the game, the Bulls offense flourishes. When Jamal's running the show, it's the same stagnant Bulls offense of the past 4 seasons. Jay breathes life into this often listless team and that alone should warrant the starting nod. Some of his passes are simply amazing.

(3) Donyell Marshall was a much better off season signing than I had expected him to be. We really need his rebounding presence and he just adds stability to the team when he's on the floor. His midrange jumper is also something we've been lacking from our frontline.

(4) I have spoken out in favor of Fizer before, but I will digress. Each time I watch him it's like he;s just playing his own game. It's the Marcus Fizer show and his presence on the court almost always coincides with our scoring droughts. Coincidence? I think not. And did anyone else notice his fat belly when he was tucking in his jersey and entering the game? Was I hallucinating or is Fizer just plain FAT around the middle? Maybe he really is 285 these days. And his arms also look less defined. I think he's a vicitm of the Shawn Kemp syndrome.

(5) I worry about our running the triangle offense w/o Jalen or Jay in the game. It's clear to me that for the triangle to work, you need two guys that can create. When we try and run it with guys like Crawford, Erob and Fizer it just stagnates.

(6) Play Baxter MORE!!! I'd rather give his overachieving azz minutes than Fizer's underachieving azz.

I agree with every point you made. I too have seen the same things.

Let me add one thing about curry. I am not saying he is better now. But he seems to have the talent to be every bit as good if not better than shaq. He can score with ease. But needs to work on defense and rebounding. Hopefully that will come with time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,919 Posts
I think Curry being better than Shaq is a bit of a stretch, but i wouldn't count it out either. There are alot of holes in Shaq's game that get overlooked; Curry's already a better shooter at 20 yrs. old. I do agree that Curry is the next dominant center- anyone notice that he's averaging like 17 points a game? He could make the all-star team- and START- this season- quote me on that.
I actually like Fizer in this game- he didn't score a whole lot, but i thought he really improved his passing and rebounding- he had some great post feeds to Curry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
anybody besides me feel like Jay williams will be on the all-star ballot? he's a very popular rookie..........

Jalen Rose has a great chance of being on the team this year....on the bench but still playing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
As a Bulls fan, I love it when someone says "Curry is better than Shaq". I don't know how Shaq was at 19 or 20. But i know Shaq's rookie year stats: 23.4/13.8/3.5 . Shaq left college after his Sophmore year so he was probably around 20 or 21.

Do you guys think that Curry will put up those numbers the season after this season? Personally, I doubt it. So, I am not going with "Curry is better than Shaq". It's just like saying "someone is better than Jordan".

My predictions of curry's Stats:

Rookie PPG 6.7, RPG 3.8, BPG 0.74
Next 15.0 7.5 1.20
AFter Next 19.0 9.0 1.80
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Chi_Lunatic</b>!
anybody besides me feel like Jay williams will be on the all-star ballot? he's a very popular rookie..........

Jalen Rose has a great chance of being on the team this year....on the bench but still playing
JWill will be on the All-Star Ballot. No question about it!! The guy was the 2nd overall pick in June. You should have asked "Will JWill be good/productive enough to make the all-star team??" Then my answer would be "No" simply cuz of 1) Crawford 2) the Triangle Offense.

Howver, Rose will be make the team this coming season. If u average 23ppg, 5rpg, 5apg and your team is in the mid-.400, then you have to to make the All-Star team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,175 Posts
Originally posted by <b>LoaKhoet</b>!

Howver, Rose will be make the team this coming season. If u average 23ppg, 5rpg, 5apg and your team is in the mid-.400, then you have to to make the All-Star team.
Unless Larry Brown or Isiah Thomas coach the all-star team. If either team is in first place or second w/ the nets in first then you can forget it. Hopefully Paul Silas will be the all-star coach.

My thoughts on the game:

The offense runs the best when they pass the ball to Jalen after they reach mid-court. Otherwise the PG's tend to over-dribble. Also - at the end of the game when they are going to intentionally foul to stop the clock I don't want Jay or Jamal near the ball until they can hit free-throws.

For all the people (Jazz fans) who thought that Stockton was the reason that Donyell had such a high FG% I would like to point at his 60+% percentage in his first two games. I know it's only two games but maybe he shoots a high percentage b/c he takes good shots and doesn't force it. Maybe Fizer should watch him.

E-Rob played with great energy. Hopefully the fans will lay off b/c the last thing we need is more megativity. After that Vescey article and Hassell getting the boot and the PG fight - agh! It's amazing what a little pre-season win can do.

When Marshall, Rose and E-Rob are on the floor business picks up.

We don't need Fizer for his scoring. The Bulls are fine with that. We need our PF to play defense. With Crawford/Williams, Hassell and E-Rob coming off the bench the last thing we need is a black hole. Baxter is the Perfect back-up PF. I can't even put into words how expendable Fizer is and how any minutes he receives will be a waste of time for the Bulls. If he's not going to play defense and if he is going to continue to shoot 31% from the field then what the hell is he in there for? I like Fizer and want him to succeed he just won't be doing it in Chicago. Why hold him back?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LoaKhoet,

As for the Shaq/Curry comparison, I'm not saying that Curry WILL be better than Shaq, only that it is entirely possible and no longer seems like a joke to make that claim.

Shaq entered the NBA after his JUNIOR year and was 21 going on 22 in his rookie season. He put up great averages, but those stats also reflect the complete lack of talent on his team at the team. Kind of like the Elton Brand theory during his rookie season.

Anyway, Curry is just 19 and would be a sophomore in college this year - a full TWO years younger than Shaq as a rookie. If, as you predict, Curry averages 15 ppg, I do believe this output is better than what Shaq would have contributed. Shaq, at this stage in his career, was mostly a dunker and lacked moves. The fact that he outsized his competition in college by so much probably stunted his development as a skilled player. Because Curry is going up against the trees so early in his career he is advancing at a very rapid rate.

And there are some other reasons why Curry might end up better than Shaq. One of the most significant is Curry's shooting touch. We all know Shaq is Superman and FTs are his kryptonite. But what if he didn't have that kryptonite? Wouldn't he be even more dominant because teams could not afford to foul him? Well Curry, while inconsistent at the line thus far in his career, possesses the touch to become a good FT shooter - perhaps around 75%. Furthermore, I think Curry is more athletic than Shaq. Who knew that once he got rid of the baby fat, Curry would be as jacked and athletic as he is? I certainly didn't see it coming. And all the other things that make Shaq so great at his size - agility, ballhandling, etc - Curry possesses. The only area where he is inferior is in size, but I believe he is just about the same size as Shaq (if not bigger) at that age, minus maybe an inch in height.

All things considered, a young Curry compares very favorably to Shaq, and while those are certainly big shoes to fill, Curry is a guy who certainly has a chance to do so.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top