Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reading all sorts of criticisms on this board with respect to some of the players summer league play, and while I understand you want something to talk about, it seems like a lot of you are jumping to crazy conclusions.

First off, you gotta realize that summer league stats JUST DON'T MATTER. Honestly, I can't stress this enough. The talent level is equivalent to a college basketball game, so plenty of players who were good in college look like they're good in summer league, but trust me it won't carry over to the regular season. Also, fouls and turnovers are bound to be inflated just because of the disorganized level of play and poor officiating.

Also, don't read too much into other stats because you don't know what the focus of their game is during summer league. For example, Eddy Curry's lack of rebounding might be due to the fact that he's trying to get comfortable playing away from the basket. Whatever the reason, I just wouldn't worry about him because he proved to be a solid rebounder at the end of last season. And I wouldn't worry about Chandler's lack of scoring either. Notice that he is barely SHOOTING in these games, so he is probably focusing more on other aspects of his game. And JayWill's TOs? Don't fret just yet, he's being told to push the ball so it is increasing his TO potential, plus the guys he's passing to are rusty so he's getting less assists.

My point is, these games are essentially glorified pickup games. Think about if they actually compiled your stats in a pickup game. You'd probably have 10 turnovers and be shooting 30% from the field. Because they on-court play is not disciplined by officiating and talent level, everyone looks a lot worse. In fact, seems like the only guys who DO look good in these summer league games are the outside shooters who catch fire (Lubos Barton, anyone?) just like in your games at the Y.

You cannot interpret statistics in these games like you can from a regular season box score. Judge these games only from a viewer's perspective. See what these young guys are capable of and where their strengths on the court are. Don't worry about the f-ups, because they are bound to be plentiful. And though it's easy to think that because the competition is lower that players should do better, it's really not the case. It's when the talent level is higher that players play up to their capabilities. Yes, the young Bulls will make some mistakes this year, but don't expect Curry's rebounding, Chandler's scoring or Williams' passing to somehow regress from last year and spell the Bulls demise this upcoming season.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Your post is well taken here....

...however, read the thread concerning the Denver game. You will see this topic has been discussed over and over again!!! LOL We all need to relax....let these kids play a few games this summer and lets see what we have in october??? GO BULLS~~~:upset:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts