Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Think Carter will pass Drazen as Net's best SG ever?

711 views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  BizzyRipsta 
#1 ·
Link

Other Nets 'SG's and their contributions as Nets...

Kerry Kittles; Shooting guard of the Nets team that went to the finals twice, but knee problems have robbed him of a few seasons and also perhaps some of his stats?

Kendall Gill; traded away Kenny Anderson for him, and had a new good years with the Nets. Played 5 seasons, posting his career high as a Net, with 21.8 ppg.

Drazen Petrovic; Acquired from the Blazers, in 2nd season with the Nets put up 20.6 ppg, shooting .508 from the feild. The following season put up 22.3 ppg, and shot .518 from the feild. every season he showed improvement. His career was cut short by a car accident.

Bernard King; started his career with the Nets, ended his career with the Nets. Played for several other team on the bookend career. As a rookie he put up 24.2 ppg, followed by a 21.6 campaign. His career slipped horribly in his last year. Went from scoring 28.4 ppg the season before to 7.0 ppg. Had a season where he averaged 32.9 ppg but that was for the rival Knicks.

John Williamson; played 4 season for the Nets, first 3 were when they were in the ABA. In his first NBA-Nets season, averaged 20.8 ppg.

Otis Birdsong; played parts of 7 seasons for the Nets, never one full season. Only 1 season over 70 games. Sounds like Kerry Kittles? Was part of the lone 80's team to make it to the playoffs, averaging 20.6 ppg.

Robert Hawkins; one season for the LI/NY Nets, another for the NJ Nets. 19.3/10.9 ppg averages. Nothing else noteworthy.
Some quotes from the old thread...

Hrvoje said:
I say Drazen, he was, and he is the best European player ever. I saw that desire and passion for game only from one more player, MJ.
LesterLazlo said:
If we're going back to the ABA Nets, I'd say SuperJohn. NBA, I'd have to go with Kittles over Drazen. Petro was a GREAT shooter, but a HORRIFIC defender. He gave up a point for every point he scored. Gill played SF for most of his Net career. And do you guys REALLY remember Bernard King as a SG. Bernard (BB, Sky) King was one of the best SFs to play in the NBA. Loved him as a Net, hated him as a Knick.
See LesterLazlo was here all the way in 2003... :clap:

How much more does Carter have to prove?

-Petey

#4 ·
Carter will not pass Drazen.

He may have better numbers, but he doesn't bring "it".

"It" is hard to define. Along with making your team better, "it" gives the crowd enthusiasm and gets home court advantage.

KMart had "it". Jayson Williams had "it". Richard Jefferson has "it". Keith Van Horn, Stephon Marbury, Sam Cassell, never had "it". Julius Irving had "it". And Jason Kidd has "it".

I really like Kerry, but he doesn't have "it".

Therefore, Drazen was the best SG in Nets history. His number is hanging from our rafters as it should be. Rest in peace Drazen.

#6 ·
kdub said:
it ain't just points. I admittedly have no experience or knowledge of those players, but who else averaged:
26.1 ppg on .442
1.7 3pg on .419
.824 FT%
6.1 rpg
4.7 apg

1.4 spg
0.7 bpg
Drazen was a different kind of SG.

22.3 ppg on .518
1+ 3pg on .449
.870 FT%
2.7 RPG
3.5 APG
1+ SPG

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=PETRODR01

Those are crazy numbers in the season before his death, also look at his all his numbers are on the incline.

Drazen dropped 100+ points in a game overseas too.

-Petey

#7 ·
I never saw SuperJohn play, so I can't rate the man, but outside than him, I'd say Carter has an excellent chance of being the Nets best SG. Drazen just wasn't around that long ( :cry: ), and the team didn't do all that great. A couple of deep playoff runs w/ VC as our half-court offensive leader and he'll be the best Nets SG, in my mind.

#8 ·
SeaNet said:
I never saw SuperJohn play, so I can't rate the man, but outside than him, I'd say Carter has an excellent chance of being the Nets best SG. Drazen just wasn't around that long ( :cry: ), and the team didn't do all that great. A couple of deep playoff runs w/ VC as our half-court offensive leader and he'll be the best Nets SG, in my mind.
For me, they would have to be pretty deep. I find Vince exciting, but like you said, Drazen's team didn't do so well, but through no fault of his own, and his shooting was just lights out. As a post player, Collins can only dream about the FG%.

-Petey

#9 ·
You know what I noticed about nets fans on here is the fact that people think Vince is coming to steal the spotlight from Kidd and Jefferson, its very hard to see people actually giving him any praise. The things he does, as compared to anyother player would get so much more attention. Its almost as if Kidd is beyond criticism, and am not even turning this into a Vince vs kidd thing. But just cuz greg anthony and other analysts say Vince cant be a leader doesnt mean it should be that way. If he continues to play with the passion he has done with the nets I see no reason why he cant surpass Petrovic. And that talk about him not being the franchise, Kidd might be the leader of the team but the most recognizable face on the team is Vince

#10 ·
Hbwoy said:
You know what I noticed about nets fans on here is the fact that people think Vince is coming to steal the spotlight from Kidd and Jefferson, its very hard to see people actually giving him any praise. The things he does, as compared to anyother player would get so much more attention. Its almost as if Kidd is beyond criticism, and am not even turning this into a Vince vs kidd thing. But just cuz greg anthony and other analysts say Vince cant be a leader doesnt mean it should be that way. If he continues to play with the passion he has done with the nets I see no reason why he cant surpass Petrovic. And that talk about him not being the franchise, Kidd might be the leader of the team but the most recognizable face on the team is Vince
You have to realize what you said, we are Nets fans 1st and foremost. Vince has been here for 3 months, while Kidd and Jefferson has brought the team how far in how many years in a row?

In time if this continues of course that would change.

Btw, Petrovic in international play... 112 points in 1 game.

It's not like we are saying Carter vs. Buford here.

-Petey

#11 ·
Hbwoy said:
You know what I noticed about nets fans on here is the fact that people think Vince is coming to steal the spotlight from Kidd and Jefferson, its very hard to see people actually giving him any praise.
I'm relatively new in this board, but I never notice the same, and in my opinion he never has.

He might be the most recognizable face in the team, but that doesn't mean it's "his" team. No doubt that Kidd is still the leader of this team.
Vince I think is enjoying his new role, not being the franchise. From the get go, he really liked the idea to be just the #2 or #3. He just do what he do best, without being worried that he'll be blamed. Weight removed from his shoulder, he got his game back. If he's playing well, then it's good for the team.

If he surpasses Drazen, good for him. Time will tell.

#12 ·
Drazen was a passionate basketball player and an incredible three point shooter, but he wasn't elite in other areas. He probably would have improved given more time, but who knows how much. He played with two young All Stars in Coleman and Anderson, but they never won a playoff series.

King was probably the best player, but most NBA fans remember him as a Knick, with good reason.

Williamson was a terrific scorer and made a big contribution to successful Nets teams.

Gill played SF for the Nets and got his points because someone had to score during those lean years.

Kittles and Birdsong were productive role players who battled injuries.

For me, Carter will clearly be the Nets best SG ever if he plays at or close to his current level for five seasons or more and help the team win some playoff series. He doesn't have to be a leader, will his team to win, make teammates better, etc. The Nets simply have never had a SG play at that level for that long.

#14 ·
Vinsane said:
no doubt as a matter of fact he already has
In 3 months, Carter has past Petro as the greatest Nets SG?

Did you see the stats compared above?

You could argue that Petrovic was the greatest Euro guard ever.

-Petey

#15 ·
Hbwoy said:
If you think JKidd is above criticism w/ Nets fans, you should check out nj.com. There's enough criticism of JKidd for 7 fan boards over there, lol. But another thing w/ Carter, is that he is (in some ways) the replacement for Kmart, who was among the most beloved Nets players of all time. NJ through and through. And the team isn't as good as it was when Kmart was here right now. Now obviously, that's not VC's fault, but until we get back to where we were, I don't think Carter will get the praise that he probably deserves. Its not necessarily rational, but I think that's the dynamic you are witnessing.

#17 ·
PSUmtj112 said:
Define pass?

I think Carter has more ability and is the better basketball player.

I think Petro is more "Net" and always will be.
Really?

If Carter plays out his contract, we can at least get to the finals at least once... Petro would still be more 'Net'?

Pass, I mean in numbers, role on the team, popularity with fans...

-Petey

#18 ·
Petey said:
Really?

If Carter plays out his contract, we can at least get to the finals at least once... Petro would still be more 'Net'?

Pass, I mean in numbers, role on the team, popularity with fans...

-Petey
Depends on the age and how long they have been a Net fan.

For those who have been a Nets fan since way back, Petro will always be a face of the Nets.

To the younger fans, or newer Nets fans, Carter would probably fill that role.

That's just my take though.

#19 ·
vc is better yes but he is not rely a net if u no wut i mean but i can c him ending his basketball life here and being considerd one of the best nets players of all time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.