Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2010, when the Heat signed the big 3, fans wondered out loud when Spolestra would get canned. Now he's never mentioned on the hot seat. Did he suddenly become a good coach?

Last year, the talk in LA non-stop was about how they had two mediocre coaches in Staples. Brown gets the ax and the current guy is under 500. Meanwhile, Del Negro went to the same school Spoelstra did and nobody mentions his coaching anymore.

6 years ago Doc Rivers was mocked by fans on this board. He picks up Rondo, Garnett and Allen. Doc Rivers is now a top 3 coach?

The Nets just canned Avery, and I'm willing to bet their fanbase and Deron Williams will dislike his replacement just as much.

So here's my question, list who you think is a good coach in the NBA. No other criteria, just your definition of good.

Here is a list of coaches-

Larry Drew
Eric Spoelstra
Doc Rivers
PJ Carlesimo
Mike Dunlap
Tom Thibedou
Byron Scott
Terry Stotts
Rick Carlisle
George Karl
"Larry" Frank
Mark Jackson
Kevin McHale
Frank "Ding" Vogel
Vinny Del Negro
Mike D'antoni
Lionell Hollins
Scott Skiles
Rick Adelman
Monty Williams
Mike Woodson
Scott Brooks
Jacque Vaughn
Doug Collins
Alvin Gentry
Keith Smart
Greg Poppovich
Tyronne Corbin
Randy Wittman
Dwayne Casey

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
Larry Drew
Doc Rivers
Tom Thibedou
Byron Scott
Rick Carlisle
George Karl
"Larry" Frank
Kevin McHale
Mike D'antoni
Lionell Hollins
Scott Skiles
Rick Adelman
Monty Williams
Mike Woodson
Jacque Vaughn
Doug Collins
Greg Poppovich
Tyronne Corbin
Dwayne Casey

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Can't even pretend like I know all of these guys well enough to pick the "good" ones. I feel like you would have to hsve followed a team pretty closely to make a realistic opinion on a coach.

With that said, you don't mess with success and talent can absolutely overcome poor coaching; especiallyyyy in the regular season. Vinny Del Negro is NOT a good coach, but it's pretty difficult to mess up one the more talented, and deepest teams in the league

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Most of those guys are good coaches with the right personnel. Adelman is great when he has bigs who can pass and guards who can slash. D'Antoni is great with a smart PG surrounded by capable shooters. Doc is tremendous with a veteran team. Collins is great with a young team he can mold.

The only current coaches who have proven they can win with many different types of teams are Pop and Carlisle.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Lionel Hollins and Monty Williams are both very good coaches. They are probably the two most underrated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts