Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many times in the last two or three seasons have the Blazers lost to the Grizzlies? If I recall correctly, we seemed to lose to them quite a bit. It occured to me as I watched the game tonight that this young Blazer team competed against the Grizzlies just as well--if not better--than those more experienced, veteran Blazer teams. We played good defense, we hustled, and we shot a higher percentage from the field and the free-throw line than we did many times with the "old Blazers."

Now that is real progress!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
yep and I think The Griz are a good team as well

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Not to rain on your parade but this year's Grizzlies are but a shadow of last year's tenacious team.

They played like sissies tonight in their own building.

Hmmm...what's missing?

·
Registered
568 Posts
MARIS61 said:
Not to rain on your parade but this year's Grizzlies are but a shadow of last year's tenacious team.

Hmmm...what's missing?
Are you kidding? The Grizz are second in the league in scoring defense. They've been playing pretty well....especially Gasol.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
RPCity said:
Are you kidding? The Grizz are second in the league in scoring defense. They've been playing pretty well....especially Gasol.
We're pretty early in the season for stats like that to mean much. Without actually looking it up, I'd have to guess it's an anomaly largely due to the teams they've played thus far. Look at Memphis' lineup ... Damon, Mike Miller, Gasol, Wright -- hardly known as defensive stoppers. Aside from Battier, I'm not sure there's an above average defender on that squad. I hesitate to put Eddie Jones and Bobby Jackson in there, because they're mere shadows of their former defensive selves. Gasol gets his blocks and rebounds, but just like Nowitzki, he's a non-presence the rest of the time.

Dan

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
This win has to be the best so far this season. Memphis isn't an Atlanta ,New York or Chicago, Memphis is a team that is going to make the playoffs so this is a quality win on the road. Impressive! :yes:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
MARIS61 said:

Hmmm...what's missing?
fans...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
RPCity said:
who shut the "G-man" down?
no really who did?
really...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I don't think anyone on the Blazers shut Gasol down. He started off hot, and then the Memphis gaurds just kind of stopped giving him the ball. So, the Memphis gaurds shut him down.

PRunetang

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well yeah....but he still attempted like, 20 shots didnt he? Making 7 if I remember (too lazy to check stats).

So somebody played decent defense.....

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
It certainly was an impressive win. We put the hammer down in the 4th quarter and the Grizz looked like we did last year... trying to coast into a win.

·
Registered
666 Posts
My favorite play of the game came right before half when Monia hit that wide open three at the buzzer! At that very moment I knew the Blazers would win the game.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
seemed to me that Ratliff did the best job of guarding him. he's got the best size and speed to deal with a guy like Pau. Miles is too short, Przybilla's too slow, and Randolph is just not much good on his own. mostly, though, we just double teamed him more and he couldn't fight through it.

they had a similar matchup problem with Zach, but kept him to season averages with lots of doubleteams too.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
HOWIE said:
This win has to be the best so far this season. Memphis isn't an Atlanta ,New York or Chicago, Memphis is a team that is going to make the playoffs so this is a quality win on the road. Impressive! :yes:
Best win so far... definitely. On the road against a team that was playing pretty well.

I doubt Memphis makes the playoffs, though, and I doubt that we can rely on teams missing that many wide open 3 pointers very often.

Ed O.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Oh, and TalkHard: if beating Memphis is "progress", then is losing to Miami on the road the opposite, since we hadn't lost there in 5 years?

Ed O.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if beating Memphis is "progress", then is losing to Miami on the road the opposite, since we hadn't lost there in 5 years?

Ed O.
Good point, but I'm looking for a silver lining, don't ya know . . .

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Speaking of progress, when does the next Talhard avatar come out? I'll need 12 total. ;)

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't realize you were collecting my avatars, ABM. That gives new meaning to the term "a nice set."

I'll try to issue my next installment soon . . .

Stay tuned.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts