Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and arguably the best since 2001. I can't remember a Laker team that was this deep, and our starting five is not only insane, but they seem like they will compliment eachother extremely well.

This is going to be a good year.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I'm not sure how well they compliment each other just yet, but we'll see. I like their super starting lineup better than the Heat, although I'm biased since my two favorite player types in basketball are pass first PG's and traditional bang in the paint big men.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On paper it appears that it will translate well. Nash is a pass first guy with a deadly jumper. Kobe is a do it all swingman. Artest is a lock down defender who won't touch the ball that often on offense. Pau is a do it all big man. And Dwight is the best anchor in the league that can still put up 20 a night without a real point guard. We're going to be good.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I don't remember the last time we had a bench this good.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
On paper it appears that it will translate well. Nash is a pass first guy with a deadly jumper. Kobe is a do it all swingman. Artest is a lock down defender who won't touch the ball that often on offense. Pau is a do it all big man. And Dwight is the best anchor in the league that can still put up 20 a night without a real point guard. We're going to be good.
Oh, no arguments you're going to be good. You're going to be great.

Kobe and Dwight are used to being "the guy" though. If it ends up that Nash runs the ball and is able to pick his poison each play with either Kobe, Dwight or Gasol, the team will be almost unstoppable.

If when the team goes down you get Kobe trying to superman it all by himself, it won't work nearly as well as it should. I've made my argument on that when the Lakers got Nash.

Its going to be a hell of a show either way, and obviously its championship or fail by the new standard.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, no arguments you're going to be good. You're going to be great.

Kobe and Dwight are used to being "the guy" though. If it ends up that Nash runs the ball and is able to pick his poison each play with either Kobe, Dwight or Gasol, the team will be almost unstoppable.

If when the team goes down you get Kobe trying to superman it all by himself, it won't work nearly as well as it should. I've made my argument on that when the Lakers got Nash.

Its going to be a hell of a show either way, and obviously its championship or fail by the new standard.
The good thing about this team is this: none of our top four guys is an asshole except for Kobe. Steve's a genuinely nice person, Pau is a vag, and Dwight is a child. No one is going to question the pecking order. Kobe will do his thing, Steve will falicitate and shoot open threes, Pau will be a complimentary guy, and Dwight will play defense, rebound, and catch lobs.

At least I hope.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd say it's a three team league. Throw OKC in there. I think they have a better chance against us than Miami does due to matchups.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Luke said:
I'd say it's a three team league. Throw OKC in there. I think they have a better chance against us than Miami does due to matchups.
Yea, you can't forget them. They will be rivals for years to come.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
Games played: 0.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
What about 2004? Are Dwight and Pau better than Shaq and Malone? Nash better than Payton?

Metta is better Devean George and Jamison is better than Slava though.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Jamel Irief said:
What about 2004? Are Dwight and Pau better than Shaq and Malone? Nash better than Payton?

I don't know if he is better than Payton but the Lakers aren't using the Triangle, which is the reason people say he didn't work out as well. Howard and Gasol definitely aren't better than O'Neal and Malone, though.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I would probably take Dwight/Pau over Shaq/Malone, but it'd be close. Shaq wasn't MDE anymore and Malone was about to retire. Nash is significantly better than Payton, especially on this team.

And yeah, Metta > George and our current bench > 2004.

·
Wiltside
20,390 Posts
Should be fun. If Miami had developed the best inside-out game in the league with LeBron/Wade post-ups/drive-'n-kicks and Battier/Chalmers/Miller & co. scorching from the perimeter, LAL are likely to now eek them out when considering the floor spacing ability of Nash to go with the need to honor Artest and Kobe around the perimeter. Pau is also almost identical to Bosh in this regard. Dwight isn't the passer out of the post LeBron is, but we all know he has a ton of experience kicking it out to shooters with the Magic. Will he pout and disappear if/when the ball doesn't come his way in crucial stretches of games as happened in ORL with frickin' Jason Richardson and Jameer Nelson on the perimeter? We'll see.

The team will be explosive, but I thought we should've learned by now you can't just say OKC has a better chance because of matchups. Wouldn't be surprised if those thoughts came from the crowd claiming Miami would've lost to SA. Bynum was taller/longer and just as much of a menace defensively and on the boards to the Heat, and even more difficult offensively, yet the Lakers haven't even fared incredibly well against the Heat since the Shaq trade (including our post-Shaq/pre-Big 3 years, other than Wade's injury year), let alone dominated. Dwight Howard is a better player than Andrew Bynum, without a doubt. I just don't see how swapping Bynum for him suddenly flips the script. (Obviously Nash adds a new dimension, but I'm assuming the belief OKC matches up better is a size thing.)

Despite what people think, the Heat have been more steadily killed by quick PGs and sharpshooting wings than star bigs. I spent all of last season defending Nash against people saying he was done (somehow), but I'd be much more scared if he were just a couple years closer to prime. Needless to say, Kobe is suddenly a huge X-factor. Will he pull in the reigns and become more efficient? How healthy will he be after possibly bypassing surgery to play in the Olympics?

Call me a blind Heat fan, but I just don't see them losing to a team in a series because they're "too small." Other reasons...random, unpredictable reasons, as we see ever year, sure. West/Hibbert/Bass/Garnett aren't Pau/Howard, but the Heat survived those series almost entirely without Chris Bosh. LeBron weighs as much as Karl Malone. The size issue is overstated. LA won't exactly have an easy ride on defense against MIA. Dwight is there to clean up the perimeter deficiencies (yes, including Artest who's declined majorly guarding perimeters), but the Heat's attackers are great playmakers as well. Wade/LeBron have each had 50 pt games against Dwight, and many other great games.

Sorry for the long post :D I know it can be misconstrued as some sort of defensive mental meltdown, but I just love having new things to discuss during the doldrums of summer, especially an old semi-rivalry that people have wanted to see return very badly possibly rekindling. It actually probably never really went away to be honest. To meet in the Finals for once would be awesome.

:cheers: to it happening. OKC will be a brutal series, but obviously there's no reason to believe at this point that LA wouldn't have a good shot to win it.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is why I say that we've got the best Heat fans around. Good post with some real thought.

Next season is going to be awesome.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
It's not even just about Nash and Howard - it's the fact that the Lakers now have a top 5 bench in the league. The last two seasons, we would regularly get ourselves into holes by going to our bench in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. Now that we've added Jodie Meeks and Antawn Jamison, the second unit has become one that perfectly complements the starters and has the talent to score 30-40ppg as a group. Is Jodie Meeks an amazing player? No, but he's good enough to spell Kobe for 15mpg and knock down open shots. When you have this team's starting lineup, that's all you need.

The Lakers are going to be very tough to stop this year.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts