1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I wonder if it is Clark? Last two days, its been rumored he is close to signing with Sac. But he hasn't. I wonder if the Bulls have jumped in at the last minute and made him an offer? He would play more here in the short run. Interesting!!

Marshall is a suprise! Very pleasant surprise. He would make us a better club! No doubt. Can play SF and pf.

Harpring? Yes i like him too.

I can't wait to hear who it is!

Oh i want to add that Clark runs the floor extemely well and would fit in with the young athletic Bulls!!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
does this mean they are making contract offers or does this mean that one of the 3 is going to sign, I hope that it's harpring or keon clark because we need the D

·
Registered
835 Posts
I just hope they sign one of them. All the Bulls can do is make an offer.

I couldn't se Marshall signing. He is on a playoff team in Utah, and the Bulls can't pay him more. Probably a ploy on Marshall's part to try and extort more money from Utah.

No way with Clark. Clark has interest from a contending team, and I would think it is in his best interests to sign with them.

Harpring to me is the one real possibility. Krause needs to make a hard push, and out of those 3 Harpring will come the cheapest.

Sign Travis Best to a contract similar to what Harpring needs and do a sign and trade with philly if possile. Or give them Robinson for Harpring if they are going to lose him with no compensation.

All I know is Smith's rumors rarely come true. We will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I agree, any of the three would fit into the Bulls' lineup quite well. My first preference would be, Keon Clark as I think we need the most help at PF/C. My second choice would be Marshall and my third choice would be Harpring.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Clark seems tobe a Sac King (and who can blame him).

Marshall would be interesting as we would dominate the boards and he can score (something I believe we also need).

Harpring is the one my money is on. He is a Krause type of Guy. Hard working, overachiever. Let's hope he can stay healthy if he comes here.

I think any of the three helps. Order of preference: Clark, Marshall, Harpring.

One question I have is: If we use our exceptions this, doesn't that mean we can't use them next year? Isn't next year the Bumper crop?

Someone give me a little help........

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I'd prefer Harpring. Clark and Marshall probably are better players, but Harpring fits the Bulls need as a defensive SF. Marshall is not a good player defensively. With Clark's run in with the law recently, I would be opposed to signing him.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Its pretty obvious they need to sign SOMEBODY. The team lacks defense, which is generally not a good thing if you want to win any games. Especially in the East, where games are more of a scrum and scrap in the half court, we need all the defensive players we can get.

This being said, let's make Harpring a Bull. He started every game for the Sixers last season (this is rare these days!) and will provide us another good wing defender and stopper. Hes actually a solid team player and above average on the ball defender. He's physical too which is something sorely lacking w/ the Bulls. Add to that a steady offensive game.

MY FEARLESS PREDICTION:
If Harpring is signed, look for a Rose, Hassell and Harpring to play down the stretch together (4th quarters). Rose would slide to the point and Hassell and Harpring would be a deft combo at shutting down some of the talented swing players, especially against teams in teh East.

VD

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I think that Harpring is the most logical choice. The Bulls need Harpring's defense more than Marshall's offense IMO. Clark would help the most, but he seems to be close to becoming a King.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It will be awesome to have Keon Clark but I think it is to impossible to sign Keon Clark and I tell you why....

Would he accept the role of playing from the bench behind Curry or Chandler or both???

Would he accept our salary when we don't have much to offer him???

We not a contendor team and no doubt he would play a playoff contendor now instead the rebuilding team.

So its impossible to sign Keon Clark......

Now for Hapring and Marshall I will be very happy to have one of them in our rosters.

Marshall have a better offensive game then Hapring.

But who say that Marshall can't defend. He's not a bad defender he's a good defender I think he and Hapring are both good defenders. So either one I be happy to play for the Bulls which both will help alot. :D

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
So, for the most part...

Originally posted by <b>pduh02</b>!
It will be awesome to have Keon Clark but I think it is to impossible to sign Keon Clark and I tell you why....

Would he accept the role of playing from the bench behind Curry or Chandler or both???

Would he accept our salary when we don't have much to offer him???

We not a contendor team and no doubt he would play a playoff contendor now instead the rebuilding team.

So its impossible to sign Keon Clark......

Now for Hapring and Marshall I will be very happy to have one of them in our rosters.

Marshall have a better offensive game then Hapring.

But who say that Marshall can't defend. He's not a bad defender he's a good defender I think he and Hapring are both good defenders. So either one I be happy to play for the Bulls which both will help alot. :D
....most of us agree, the most desirable player to be acquired of the three rank like this:

Clark
Harpring
Marshall

....but the most realistic possibility of players to be acquired are more like:

Harpring
Marshall
Clark

I think so.:yes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Originally posted by <b>sinkingship</b>!

All I know is Smith's rumors rarely come true. We will have to wait and see.
Hey Sink -

Sam Smith's rumors tend to COME TRUE. He's very tapped into the Bulls organization. If you remember, it was Sam Smith who first talked about the Bulls swinging a trade with Indy for Jalen Rose -- at least two weeks before the trigger was pulled. :rolleyes:

Give the man some credit.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
didn't Sam Smith also predict the Brand-Chandler trade??

he's had a pretty solid track record for knowing the Bulls' moves...

i believe it was Chad Ford who must be ignored at all costs...

anyway, what seems to be the most realistic signing possibility, I also think is the best fit for the Bulls.

Harpring adds another warm body to the SF spot, and his demeanor seems to fit quite nicely. the guy knows he's not a star player, nor a top notch scorer. his job in the NBA is to hustle, play defense and all the other little things (diving for loose balls, setting picks, etc), futher, i hear he's not a bad shooter either -- given an open look, he'll hit a 15-18 footer.

with all the potential star power already on this team, the Bulls need more guys who do the 'behind the scenes' kinda stuff on the court. which is just what Harpring brings. c'mon! his name even sounds similar to Harper's :grinning: so we KNOW what he'll bring!

another thing is Harpring's age -- he's 26, so he can grow with this team, and maybe even be with the Bulls for the long haul

·
Registered
95 Posts
Originally posted by <b>chifaninca</b>!
Clark seems tobe a Sac King (and who can blame him).

Marshall would be interesting as we would dominate the boards and he can score (something I believe we also need).

Harpring is the one my money is on. He is a Krause type of Guy. Hard working, overachiever. Let's hope he can stay healthy if he comes here.

I think any of the three helps. Order of preference: Clark, Marshall, Harpring.

One question I have is: If we use our exceptions this, doesn't that mean we can't use them next year? Isn't next year the Bumper crop?

Someone give me a little help........
Chi --

My understanding of the cap exception rules is:--

If a team is over the cap, they are granted a "mid-level exception" ($4.7 in '02) EVERY YEAR. So, if we sign Clark, Marshall or Harpring to this year's mid-level, next season, if we are still over the cap, we still would be able to sign someone under this rule.

Now, the smaller, $1.something exception, if used is granted every OTHER year. A team can also sign a 10-year (+) veteran to a $1 million veteran's minimum EVERY year, if they like. This is what we did with Corie Blount. He's played in the league for 9 years, this would be his 10th, thus he qualifies for the 10-year minimum.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Does Krause use Smith to leak news?

Seems like Smith helped shape public opinion about trading Brand pre-trade.

Any chance Krause wanted this leaked so that the agents for these 3 players and hopefully Lewis's agent came back with their best offer?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Or give them Robinson for Harpring if they are going to lose him with no compensation.
NO WAY, ERob is much better than Harpring and has a much better UPSIDE.

Philly's strength wasn't exactly in the front court dispite having Mutombo.

Why does everyine thing Harpring is so good defensively? Did I miss the games when he shut down T-Mac , VC and Paul Pierce?

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
with all the potential star power already on this team, the Bulls need more guys who

I know we all see a lot of potential in our young guys, but aren't we getting just a little bit ahead of ourselves if we take into consideration the abundance of "star power" aleady on the roster when considering whether a veteran free agent is good for the team? :confused:

If we can sign Harpring (a possibility everyone's been tossing around all summer -- and a great fit IMHO) or Clark (who, if not for the ganja bust is exactly the type of player JK would typically gnaw off his own leg to get -- if it would help cap space and he had enough catsup) we would gain a desperately needed defensive presence. Neither may be a star, but either would be my hero.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Could we add BOTH Marshall & Harp?

Sign Marshall, and Trade Fizer for Harp?

Article from Hoopsworld mind you...

Free agent Donyell Marshall made a swing through Chicago yesterday, for an interview and light workout. After the meeting, the word from the Berto Center was the Bulls would make a contract offer to Marshall, but it seems like Utah still has the upper hand. Talks with the Jazz had progressed last week, but the meeting with Chicago likely indicates that Marshall’s camp needs a bit more leverage. The Bulls have told their media group that they expect to tender a contract offer to Marshall later this week, and should he pass on the deal Mat Harpring would be the next player they target. A 76ers source indicated that Harpring and his agent were angling for a sign and trade, in order to get Matt a better deal, and the Bulls have long been rumored to want to move out Marcus Fizer. Its not a stretch to think both Marshall and Harpring could be added to the Bulls roster, if the Bulls were to be so motivated.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Overreaching?

I think Tykes play will be as much a pleasent surprise for us this coming season as Hassells was last season. I don't think we'll need anything near a crunch-time or a "majority of the minutes" PF. If anything on the front line, it will be the 5 spot.

Clark isn't coming, so sign Marshall to play the three and let Rose have the two and let Blount and Chandler play the 4 and 5 respectively when Curry has to be on the bench.

It's pretty much certain that Crawfords time in Chicago is limited...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts