Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PHOENIX -- Although his team is riding a three-game winning streak, Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni sounded exasperated before Wednesday's game against the Phoenix Suns when asked about Pau Gasol's reaction to his fourth-quarter benching the previous night.

"Well, you know, 'all for one' didn't last (very) long, did it?" D'Antoni said, sarcastically referencing the Three Musketeers' rallying cry. "Forty-eight-hour shelf life. That's not bad. We'll take what we can get."
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...s-decision-bench-pau-gasol-los-angeles-lakers

I just dont think coaches should talk like that about their team/players. Especially when they had finally found some momentum. It seems like a really good way to lose the motivation of your team.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
Well Pau needs to stop whining about not starting and suck it up. I can understand if he complained while we were losing but the team was in the midst of a winning streak and playing the their best ball of the season.

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...s-decision-bench-pau-gasol-los-angeles-lakers

I just dont think coaches should talk like that about their team/players. Especially when they had finally found some momentum. It seems like a really good way to lose the motivation of your team.
Phil Jackson pulled this shit all the time, just to get under the players' skin and to motivate them. Seemed to work for him...maybe D'Antoni is trying to use the same psychological ploy.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Phil Jackson pulled this shit all the time, just to get under the players' skin and to motivate them. Seemed to work for him...maybe D'Antoni is trying to use the same psychological ploy.
Was about to say the same thing.

Pau made a stupid comment and needs to shut up. Players better than him have come off the bench. McHale, Manu, Lamar Odom 09-11 was better than Pau's played this year.

·
First Round Draft Pick
1,124 Posts
Somebody lookup Earl Clark's numbers since he became the starter. I bet they are pretty close if not better than Pau's .
As a starter, Clark's basic stats are 10.1 ppg on 47.3 fg%, 8.2 rpg, 1.9 apg and 0.9 bpg (on 31 mpg) while Pau's are 12.7 on 42.9, 8.3, 3.8 and 1.4 (34) respectively.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I thought benching Pau after he had a season high was not the best move, but only because of the timing. Having him come off the bench is generally not a bad idea. When Gasol joined the team and Bynum got healthy enough, Odom got stuck on the bench. 2 championships and a 6th Man trophy later it proved to be the right move. Gasol really needs to stop yapping about it. If everyone accepts the roles D'Antoni has come up for them and puts in work, the Lakers can potentially get back to contender status.

D'Antoni isn't that bad. I'm not happy with D'Antoni's inability to find the right rotations sooner. Even with the injuries the team has had, he should have been more consistent than he has been and quicker to find the right rotations. But I can't put everything on the coach. The season went bad for multiple reasons. I see D'Antoni as a slightly above average NBA coach. But in L.A. average just seems so bad. Pat Riley and Phil Jackson spoiled Lakers fans so much, average or even pretty good coaches just can't pass muster.

As for the team's motivation, it has wavered up and down with a steady overall downward trend over the last 4 seasons. I don't think anything D'Antoni says to the media can make it much worse than it has already gotten.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
and btw everyone he wasnt bitching about coming off the bench, he was bitching about only getting 22 minutes while Jamison was kept on the floor and they pissed away most of a big lead because Jamison's man was putting up 12 points in 3 minutes

and d'antoni does suck

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
and btw everyone he wasnt bitching about coming off the bench, he was bitching about only getting 22 minutes while Jamison was kept on the floor and they pissed away most of a big lead because Jamison's man was putting up 12 points in 3 minutes

and d'antoni does suck
Who gives a ****? They still won which is more than they could say about the following night when Pau played.

Everyone is making a shit ton of mistakes. Instead of second guessing and criticizing teammates and staff these players just need to dig deep and admit where themselves are falling short.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Who gives a ****? They still won which is more than they could say about the following night when Pau played.
they almost blew an even bigger lead because jamison was out there and both Pau and metta either of whom could have done a better job were held to 20 minutes each and symptomatic of that is the fact D'Antoni watched that lead evaporate just like he watched this lead evaporate without quibble or adjustment

meanwhile the lakers players are telling members of the press that they arent running any offensive system (as per kurt rambis on espn right this very minute)

so what happened in the 4th quarter? no system, and the offense quit

go ahead and blame Pau for going to the press but the fact is D'Antoni sucks and what Pau was talking about was completely true and came right back to bite them on the ass the very next game

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Phil would usually take little jabs at they way players were playing to get them to change. And he did it when the Lakers were winning.

When Phil's teams were struggling, he would make totally unrelated usually outlandish claims to distract the media away from the teams shortcomings.

I dont see these insances as similar at all.

Everything Phil did had a purpose, usually it was motivational in nature. Phil wasnt an X's and O's guy, he had his staff for that. I dont see anything that D'Antoni is doing as being a great help to get the most out the players.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
they almost blew an even bigger lead because jamison was out there and both Pau and metta either of whom could have done a better job were held to 20 minutes each and symptomatic of that is the fact D'Antoni watched that lead evaporate just like he watched this lead evaporate without quibble or adjustment

meanwhile the lakers players are telling members of the press that they arent running any offensive system (as per kurt rambis on espn right this very minute)

so what happened in the 4th quarter? no system, and the offense quit

go ahead and blame Pau for going to the press but the fact is D'Antoni sucks and what Pau was talking about was completely true and came right back to bite them on the ass the very next game
A member of a 20-26 team has no right to call out anyone but himself in the press. I don't care how they win going forward as long as they win.

They can blow a 30 point lead to the Wolves tonight and if they win by 1 I'll gladly take it.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Phil would usually take little jabs at they way players were playing to get them to change. And he did it when the Lakers were winning.

When Phil's teams were struggling, he would make totally unrelated usually outlandish claims to distract the media away from the teams shortcomings.

I dont see these insances as similar at all.

Everything Phil did had a purpose, usually it was motivational in nature. Phil wasnt an X's and O's guy, he had his staff for that. I dont see anything that D'Antoni is doing as being a great help to get the most out the players.
In 2001 someone asked Phil if the Lakers would be interested in Rodman. His response? "We already have one backwards walking indian on this team." Referring to JR Rider.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Was about to say the same thing.

Pau made a stupid comment and needs to shut up. Players better than him have come off the bench. McHale, Manu, Lamar Odom 09-11 was better than Pau's played this year.
Pau Gasol is a 2-time World Champion as a starter.
He (and i'm not even gonna adress his salary!) is now playing off the bench so The Dude (wink to e-monk) can start. And play HIS minutes.
Only if Pau knows he is in Bill Walton (the injured reserve for the Celtics) status would he be satisfied with his current role.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts