Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He finished the day with 233 yards on 14-22 passing, including three touchdowns and an interception. The numbers aren't what's impressive, though, it's how he did it. In the past, he's always looked to run whenever there was even the slightest signs of a pass rush, but today he scrambled while keeping his head up, looking for receivers. He did have about 60 yards on the ground, including a 30 yard touchdown run, but he also had a beautiful 60 yard touchdown to Sean Coffey (40 yards in the air and hit him perfectly in stride), a 35 yard touchdown to Victor Sesay (about 30 in the air, and again perfectly in stride), a nice 24 yard touchdown to Martin Rucker (brother of Carolina Panther Mike Rucke. Watch out for this guy down the line. Think Kellen Winslow without the big head) and a few nice looking long passes to Brad Ekwerekwu that fell incomplete (nice coverage, but they could've been caught).

Yeah, the game was against Arkansas State, who is terrible on defense, but Mizzou has played terrible defenses before and Brad didn't look like this. In the past he would just run all over a team like this, but today he passed on them instead.

Tailback Damien Nash also had an impressive day. He had 126 yards, a career high (it's his first year as a starter after juco and a year as a backup), and looked good on all of them. He got those 126 yards on just 15 carries. His backup, Marcus Woods, had 10 carries for 65 yards.

Mizzou's offense now has two tailbacks who can take it the distance any time they touch the ball, two tight ends who can get open downfield (Rucker and 6-6, 260 pound Victor Sesay, who had 4 catches for 80 yards on the day), an emerging threat at wide receiver in Sean Coffey (at 6-5 and 220, not many defensive backs can match his size. Now, as a junior, he's finally showing some hands to go with it) and a quarterback who is a legit thread with both his feet and his arm. This should be one of the top offenses in the country this year, without a doubt.

On defense, however, there are still some question marks. ASU was better than I thought they'd be, but the Tigers gave up way too many yards passing. They still are giving way too much cushion to the receivers. The pass rush wasn't there today at all. There weren't many positives in this game, but it was just one game. I'll wait another game or two before I start really getting worried, but this wasn't a very good sign. That said, all the defense has to do is not lose games. They don't have to hold teams to 10 points for us to win. They could give up 40 a night and we'd still be able to outscore a lot of teams. Still, they need to improve if this season is going to be as good as a lot of people are predicting.

Missouri takes on Troy State next Thursday. The game will be on ESPN 2. I would recommend everyone watch it. What else will there be to do?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by <b>Natty Dreadlockz</b>!
2 turnovers in the red zone against Ark St, kinda summed it up for me.. Ohh, well a vic is a vic.. Gotta build off each game.
Mizzou only had two turnovers on the day, Brad's interception and a fumble by Marcus Woods. Neither one came in the redzone (both came on the Mizzou side of the 50 I believe).

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by <b>sMaKDiSDoWn</b>!
Mizzou better watch out, Tory St. isnt that bad. They beat Marshall yesterday.
Troy isn't bad, but they win with their defense. I don't think their defense is good enough to stop Mizzou's offense, though. Plus Marshall suspended a lot of players for that game (I think three for the whole game and two for the first half, and I think all were key players).

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Originally posted by <b>pharcyde</b>!

Mizzou only had two turnovers on the day, Brad's interception and a fumble by Marcus Woods. Neither one came in the redzone (both came on the Mizzou side of the 50 I believe).
Nah.. Both came in the redzone, even Pinkie said so during his press conference!.. But, I wasn't really complaining.. 52 points is 52 points, no what I'm saying?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by <b>Natty Dreadlockz</b>!

Nah.. Both came in the redzone, even Pinkie said so during his press conference!.. But, I wasn't really complaining.. 52 points is 52 points, no what I'm saying?
Natty, I was there. I saw them with my own eyes. I think what he meant was it gave them the ball in the redzone each time. Both came deep in Mizzou territory (just checked yahoo's play by play, the int was thrown at the Mizzou 21 and returned 2 yards, the fumble took place on the next possession and was recovered on the Mizzou 38. Here's a link: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/boxscore?gid=200409040022&page=plays ). I don't know what Pinkel was talking about, because neither came with Mizzou in the redzone and only one gave them possession in theirs.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Originally posted by <b>OZZY</b>!
What a challenge that Arkansas State pass defense must be.:rolleyes:
If you want to be a smartass at least read what I post. I said the stats weren't the impressive part, it was how he played. In the past he's never played like that, regardless of how bad the other team was. He was looking downfield instead of just dumping it off to the backs or taking it himself. Besides that, you obviously missed the part where I said he showed off his arm strength. Pinkel has said all along that he has an NFL arm and he showed it on Saturday (and Pinkel's coached a few NFL quarterbacks in his time). If you knew what the hell I was talking about (or you were talking about...) maybe you'd understand that, but you're too full of yourself to understand anyone else's thoughts.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, Brian Smith didn't have any sacks on the game. He didn't start and played pretty sparingly. He did line up as a linebacker once, I think. And he still only weighs about 220. Still think he's a diamond in the rough? I mean, Arkansas State's offensive line can't be very good at pass blocking, can they?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Natty, I was there. I saw them with my own eyes. I think what he meant was it gave them the ball in the redzone each time. Both came deep in Mizzou territory (just checked yahoo's play by play, the int was thrown at the Mizzou 21 and returned 2 yards, the fumble took place on the next possession and was recovered on the Mizzou 38.
Lol.. That's what I meant, my bad for not wording it correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts