Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,536 Posts
remember, Hassell turned into Dupree in a round about way.

Right now (with what Hassell was on our team) I prefer Dupree!

Hassell is great when you have 3 20 point per game players on the floor... not so great when you have youngsters that don't demand double and triple teams!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,174 Posts
This makes me sad and mad too. It was Cartright's brilliant idea to cut Hassell in favor of Linton (if I am not mistaken). Now Linton is a pretty decent player, but I have always argued that Hassell is one heck of a defender. I've even stated that I think he is a better man-to-man than Artest. I know, I know that everyone will disagree with me. But I think that Trenton plays better fundamental defense (and gets beat less often) than Ron.

Trenton struggled with his shooting his entire sophomore campaign, and I was really hoping that he would bounce back and give us the defensive presence that he provided his rookie season. Afterall, Cartright preached and preached about how important defense was and then he goes and cuts our best defensive player.

Now everyone is surprised that he's playing so well for Minnesota. If Minny makes it deep into the playoffs, it's not going to be because of KG, Cassell, Spree, Kandi, or Wally. The difference maker will be Hassell. When the big games come along, you need a defender who can defend the opponent's top scorer (usually a SG or SF). Hassell can do that. He's not going to shut anyone down, but he'll contest every shot and force players to take poor shots which typically result in a low shooting percentage. If you're really bored, take a look at the box scores from Trenton's rookie year and focus on the shooting percentage of the teams top scoring threat. Look at games where Trenton played 30 mins or more. You'll notice a pattern ... tons of shots, but not a lot of baskets.

I'm happy for Trenton, he's a quality guy and deserves to be with a winner.
 

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
Joined
·
5,080 Posts
Originally posted by <b>LoyalBull</b>!
remember, Hassell turned into Dupree in a round about way.

Right now (with what Hassell was on our team) I prefer Dupree!

Hassell is great when you have 3 20 point per game players on the floor... not so great when you have youngsters that don't demand double and triple teams!
Dupree might settle down... guys with a chip on the shoulder always put up big #'s and play their guts out but we'll see if it lasts... I'll never forget that time Tony Delk put up 50 against his old team, Sacramento... Tony DELK!? Yup. Anything is possible.

But otherwise, I kind of agree with this. Hassell is one of those guys that was good on the Bulls but would never get maximized. I think his offensive game is going to come around a lot more now too, but in the meantime, he's a true stopper and a recognized defensive force in the league. Hassell was always in Artest's shadow here in Chicago, as the kind of "Artest replacement", which he did a decent job at playing. But he did need to be on a better team with more creative team defense, with a coach that knows EXACTLY how to unleash him and not just use him up in an effort to slap whatever good defensive players he could find on the floor in some weird effort to make a statement (Bill Cartwright).

I feel sad, but I think Hassell wasn't meant for us where we're at now. We need well-rounded players, and we need our young guys to DEVELOP more Hassell-like skills, not just be dependent on a guy like Trent to be there and step up on D.

Crawford's defense has admirably improved, although he still tends to lose his guy sometimes. But it will continue to improve, and I think he'll develop into a very adequate defender.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,073 Posts
Originally posted by <b>LoyalBull</b>!
remember, Hassell turned into Dupree in a round about way.

Right now (with what Hassell was on our team) I prefer Dupree!

Hassell is great when you have 3 20 point per game players on the floor... not so great when you have youngsters that don't demand double and triple teams!
I agree with LoyalBull!

not taking anything away from Hassel,i really like the guy,but in Minny his job is the dirty work,where he is great,cause he's got about 5 other good scorers on the team(and KG among them).so his job in Minny he does no doubt,but in Chi-town we needed guy who can score and lead(and we still do).i also prefer Dupree but i wouldn't say i'd be sad if we had Hassel - at least infront of Linton,Blount,Mason,Brunson....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,802 Posts
I liked what Linton did in the preseason and I wanted the Bulls to sign him. I wanted them to release Mason to sign him though, not Hassell. I still think the bigger mistake was not resigining Hoiberg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
Who in the world could have expected Fred to improve his shooting percentages from last season (39%, 24%) to an unbelievable 49% and 41%? Without a doubt we could use some of that right now.

The problem is Fred has always needed space to get his shot off. Players like Garnett, Cassell and Sprewell pretty much ensure Fred will get all the open looks he wants. That wouldn't have been the case here in Chicago.

As for Hassell, a team like Minnesota, with all sorts of offensive firepower (and Wally hasn't even played yet) can afford to put an outstanding defender on the floor.

When you stop and think about it, most NBA players' performances are every bit as dependent on the teammates who surround them as they are on their own innate ability. That also lends credibility to the belief that you don't win championships without a couple of real stars who draw the attention of their opponents' defenses away from the role players.

Right now the Bulls are a team comprised almost exclusively of role players. That means defenses don't have to cheat. Management is hoping a couple of our young players develop into stars so everyone else can benefit from their ability to dominate a game offensively. But time is truly running out. If stardom just isn't in the cards for these guys then Pax is going to have to move away from them and find his stars somewhere else. And that's why I believe there's a better than average chance that he'll blow this team up this summer and use his young assets as bait to acquire the players this team desperately needs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,802 Posts
Originally posted by <b>C Blizzy</b>!
Who in the world could have expected Fred to improve his shooting percentages from last season (39%, 24%) to an unbelievable 49% and 41%? Without a doubt we could use some of that right now.

The problem is Fred has always needed space to get his shot off. Players like Garnett, Cassell and Sprewell pretty much ensure Fred will get all the open looks he wants. That wouldn't have been the case here in Chicago.

As for Hassell, a team like Minnesota, with all sorts of offensive firepower (and Wally hasn't even played yet) can afford to put an outstanding defender on the floor.

When you stop and think about it, most NBA players' performances are every bit as dependent on the teammates who surround them as they are on their own innate ability. That also lends credibility to the belief that you don't win championships without a couple of real stars who draw the attention of their opponents' defenses away from the role players.

Right now the Bulls are a team comprised almost exclusively of role players. That means defenses don't have to cheat. Management is hoping a couple of our young players develop into stars so everyone else can benefit from their ability to dominate a game offensively. But time is truly running out. If stardom just isn't in the cards for these guys then Pax is going to have to move away from them and find his stars somewhere else. And that's why I believe there's a better than average chance that he'll blow this team up this summer and use his young assets as bait to acquire the players this team desperately needs.
Hoiberg is a good shooter who didn't shoot well with teh Bulls most of the time. I think a lot of that is WHO else he had on the team, as you mention, and that he had some nagging injuries. The good thing about Hoiberg is that even if his shot wasn't dropping he would do ANYTHING to help the team win. He would fight with bigs for a rebound, he would fearlessly drive teh lane, he played solid defense. I really was shocked that the Bulls didn't bring him back, especially with how long he was on the Bulls. I think they just got tired of waiting and waiting for his shot to come back. Fred isn't an all star but if they had a "role player" all star ballot he would be a shoe in IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,378 Posts
Right now the Bulls are a team comprised almost exclusively of role players. That means defenses don't have to cheat. Management is hoping a couple of our young players develop into stars so everyone else can benefit from their ability to dominate a game offensively. But time is truly running out. If stardom just isn't in the cards for these guys then Pax is going to have to move away from them and find his stars somewhere else. And that's why I believe there's a better than average chance that he'll blow this team up this summer and use his young assets as bait to acquire the players this team desperately needs.
I agree completely C Blizzy. I however think that we should not wait until the summer. How about this trade come Feb. 19th?


Crawford,Curry,ERob

for

Shard Lewis,Daniels,Collison


For Seattle they get a young PG to go with Ray Allen and a young promising big man to form a stout frontline with Curry and Booth who would fit nice together. They can now move Vlad to SF where he belongs. For Chicago they get a stud SF in Lewis who can really stroke it from outside and get Collison who I am very high on. I realize he is injured but he will be a heck of a player. Not to mention reuniting with Kirk. Daniels would give us a combo guard to help Kirk out some with minutes.
 

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
Joined
·
5,080 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!


Hoiberg is a good shooter who didn't shoot well with teh Bulls most of the time. I think a lot of that is WHO else he had on the team, as you mention, and that he had some nagging injuries. The good thing about Hoiberg is that even if his shot wasn't dropping he would do ANYTHING to help the team win. He would fight with bigs for a rebound, he would fearlessly drive teh lane, he played solid defense. I really was shocked that the Bulls didn't bring him back, especially with how long he was on the Bulls. I think they just got tired of waiting and waiting for his shot to come back. Fred isn't an all star but if they had a "role player" all star ballot he would be a shoe in IMO.
I agree with this.

Also, he just loved the city of Chicago and he continues to root for the Bulls to this very day. That's just quality character that you don't often see in a guy.

We basically replaced him with Gill, who is another great citizen and does a lot of the same things, so I don't mind that much. But I definitely do miss Hoiberg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
it makes me sad/mad that curry and chandler couldn't develop any sooner. if they could be 1/2 as effective as garnett is then we can keep as many hassel's and hoiberg's you like. last year H+H were asked to go above and beyond their comfort zones because our future all-stars couldn't do the heavy lifting.

as others hav mentioned though in a round about way we end up with dupree and gill which isnt bad at all. the important thing is for curry and chandler to start playing like studs and make other players jobs easier.
 

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
Joined
·
5,702 Posts
I guess I'm the only one who never thought much of Hassell on offense OR defense. He was a passable defender, not a stopper. He kept his man in front of him (usually), but gave up ground and typically only mildly contested his man's shots. Sure, there were some games when his man shot a poor fg%, but there were plenty of others where Hassell got torched. He was certainly overwhelmed and overworked for a rookie/2nd year player, and his offensive ineptitude really did hurt us. For that reason I like Gill/Dupree better. They can at least sometimes score and play similar defense. But considering how high Minny is on him, maybe I sold him somewhat short...

I think this really is just a testament to the absolute NEED for a good interior defender. We didn't have that last year and Chandler is only beginning to be that now. I thought Bowen did a masterful job on Kobe last year, but he had Duncan AND Robinson behind him, so he was allowed to gamble and play very aggressively. Put Bowen on the Bulls and maybe he doesn't look like an all-world defender. Maybe Hassell backed off his man at times last year because he knew that if his man got past him it was a dunk? Now that he has a great help defender/all-around defender behind him in Garnett, and another solid defender alongside in Spree, Hassell is being more aggressive and taking players out of their comfort zones. I really do think that intimidators in the middle MAKE perimeter defenders. Kobe is not a stopper unless Shaq is there to punish people for penetrating. Starks had a rep as a good defender in NY because Ewing and Oakley, though not shotblocking legends, would dismember people down low. Dumars had Laimbeer Rodman and Buddha behind him to abuse people. Jordan and Pippen didn't have a great shotblocker behind them, but Horace and Rodman were superbly mobile and Cartwright's elbow-sword assault was a deterrent. The current exception might be Artest. He became a standout defender while on the Bulls and continued to improve before J.O. really became a good interior defender.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,837 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MichaelOFAZ</b>!
This makes me sad and mad too. It was Cartright's brilliant idea to cut Hassell in favor of Linton (if I am not mistaken).
Pax was on board with it.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top