Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good stuff from today's "Behind the Blazers beat" blog entry:

McMillan admitted that what some call “Nate guys” are similar to “Sloan guys.” And ultimately, he would like the Blazers roster to be filled with “Nate/Sloan guys.”

“We gotta get guys who can do things that you feel comfortable doing,” he said. “I think you want your team to take on your identity, and I think the way to do that is to bring in guys that can bring in the style of basketball you want out there.”
-Pop

Reactions: Anima

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
myELFboy said:
yeah, the Jazz had a pretty nice PG/PF combination back then.....

the Jazz bore me; seriously, watching them makes me want to sleep. The Sonics ate them alive this year, minus the first game of the year. They just don't score, even against the worst defensive team in NBA history.
They are boring. Even with Stockton and Malone they never made you run home from work to turn the game on. That said, I'd take a perennial 60 win, championship contending, "boring" team over what we have now!

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
If you win 60 games, fan won't be bored. Whether it's fast breaks or half-court sets, fans are more interested in wins. Wins come from good execution. Fans appreciate good execution.

But I agree with the first poster who pointed out "McMillan" guys; it just bums me out that it'll be impossible to move all those guys soon. If anything, we might be looking at another year or two of rebuilding before the Blazers even sniff the playoffs while the team tries to get rid of the dead weight.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
e_blazer1 said:
Nate Guys: Jack, Khryapa, Joel, Blake, Skinner , & Webster.

On the bubble: Telfair, Dixon, Ha, Outlaw, Zach

Gone: Miles, Ratliff

Too old to matter: Lenard
I don't necessarily disagree with this list, but why is Webster a "nate guy" and telfair isn't?

Nate had nothing to do with either one being drafted, and both don't play 100% "nates way" (whatever that is) and need improvement.

If Webster is on the "list", so is Telfair.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
SMiLE said:
I don't necessarily disagree with this list, but why is Webster a "nate guy" and telfair isn't?

Nate had nothing to do with either one being drafted, and both don't play 100% "nates way" (whatever that is) and need improvement.

Maybe Webster is a Nate guy cuz he has a history with Nate where as Telfair doesn't. Maybe Webster is more of a Nate type player than a flashy Telfair. Maybe I am just post padding or am I?

Reactions: Anima

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
the article said:
Meanwhile, the Blazers looked forward playing Utah on Saturday. This prompted a discussion of McMillan’s admiration of Jazz coach Jerry Sloan, and a hint of McMillan’s personnel goals — not that they are a big secret — for the offseason...
Who here knows the secret? Could you post it please?

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
SMiLE said:

It's a close call on Webster, but I put him in the "Nate guy" category because he seems to be making an effort to try learn to play the way McMillan wants him to and hasn't griped about it. Telfair has made statements in the press recently about being frustrated with Nate at times. I think Telfair chafes at not being allowed to play the more open style that he likes instead of Nate's halfcourt game. I don't think their relationship is beyond repair, but I'm concerned as to whether it's going to work out in the long run.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
e_blazer1 said:
It's a close call on Webster, but I put him in the "Nate guy" category because he seems to be making an effort to try learn to play the way McMillan wants him to and hasn't griped about it. Telfair has made statements in the press recently about being frustrated with Nate at times. I think Telfair chafes at not being allowed to play the more open style that he likes instead of Nate's halfcourt game. I don't think their relationship is beyond repair, but I'm concerned as to whether it's going to work out in the long run.
maybe we have a starbury lb situation.Nate being the hard coach and telfair being starbury.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
Zidane said:
maybe we have a starbury lb situation.Nate being the hard coach and telfair being starbury.
yah, cept that Telfair is absolutely nothing like Marbury, and has shown no inclination that he'll even be remotely like him..However outside of that, it could be the same.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
SMiLE said:
yah, cept that Telfair is absolutely nothing like Marbury, and has shown no inclination that he'll even be remotely like him..However outside of that, it could be the same.
Hrm...interesting observation, though wrong.

Telfair is a shoot first, pass-second point guard. He has his good points, he drives well, he can pass at times when he drives, and he has speed. He also has worked on some of his weak areas. But to say he's shown no inclination that he'll even be REMOTELY like him? Please. I understand you like Telfair and all, but still...

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
yakbladder said:
Hrm...interesting observation, though wrong.

Telfair is a shoot first, pass-second point guard.
well besides the fact that Marburys problem isn't necessarily that but his unwillingness to change..
What proof do we have of this?

what exactly shows that Telfair is a "shoot first PG" to the degree Marbury is? because we "feel" it?

dude at most shot 10 times a game as a starter (which was just about 2 shots more per game than Blake as a starter).

so is 2-2.5 the difference between shoot first and pass first?

He has his good points, he drives well, he can pass at times when he drives, and he has speed. He also has worked on some of his weak areas. But to say he's shown no inclination that he'll even be REMOTELY like him? Please. I understand you like Telfair and all, but still...
this has nothing to do with me "liking" him. it has to do with facts. Telfair is nothing personality wise ilke Marbury, or game wise. EVEN if you went per 48 vs what Marbury shot last year (not per 48) Telfair is still shooting 5 shots less a game.

I know that people like throwing out blanket statements to sound like they're somehow more knowledge about a player, but at least compare him to a player he's remotely like (both personality wise and game wise). Telfair isn't even close to what Marbury is.

So like I said, yah, cept that Telfair is absolutely nothing like Marbury, and has shown no inclination that he'll even be remotely like him..outside of that, this situation could be the same.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Zidane said:
Because since they're cousins and what? They're both PGs!? They must be exactly the same as far as egos as well. I mean come on, they're related!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
If being a "Nate guy" is anything like being a "Sloan guy" - we may be in trouble.

Ten years ago, Sloan could get away with being extremely demanding and inflexible. Players were professionals. And if the Blazers were able to find enough talented guys who were willing to be extremely disciplined, as Sloan found with Malone, Stockton, Jeff Hornacek, Bryon Russell, et al, then fantastic. The only problem is, the culture of the NBA has changed. There just don't seem to be that many guys willing to buy into playing as hard as humanly possible every night, giving up their own numbers to execute the system, giving a hard foul to return one given to a teammate - those are high expectations of players today.

The Detroit Pistons approach this kind of mindset, but even they have a few extraordinary "team" players, like Ben Wallace and Tayshaun Prince. I think the Blazers could try building around the "Nate guys" like Viktor Khryapa, Jarred Jack, and Joel Przybilla, but come on - you need some serious talent to go along with that, if you want to win some games. But then again, the Blazers don't seem to be getting too far with Darius Miles, Zach Randolph, and the other malcontents running the asylum.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Public Defender said:
If being a "Nate guy" is anything like being a "Sloan guy" - we may be in trouble.
Ah come on, PD! All we need to do is find a Karl Malone. And a John Stockton. And then a better supporting cast to win a title (since the original Sloan team couldn't get 'er done).

That shouldn't be so hard, should it? :)

Ed O.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
SMiLE said:

Webster does like to get in and mix it up on the boards, he getsa lot of physical contact, and he gets after the passing lanes defensively. The only thing I don't see Telfair do much is hit the boards.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
So Nate wants a boring team. That's cool I guess as long as they win right? I mean that's what a lot of people have said anyway. Who needs fast breaks and dunking anyway. I think they are vastly overrated.

My Nate guys on this roster are as follows

Khryapa, Joel, Jack, Blake, Skinner

Sadly none of those guys make me want to buy a single ticket to a game.

The one bright spot in all of this is that in the draft the one glaring "Nate guy" is Tyrus Thomas. Hard nosed, no offense and defensive oriented.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.