Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is Joe Dumars a new GM in the league reasoning why Darko is the better option of Carmelo. Because of SIZE! That is why you cant give up on Eddy. Now I see J Krause's vision. Now I see why Jerry West wants him. Now I see why you cant give up on him. He is only 21!

"I would be lying if I said I hadn't thought about how a guy like Carmelo couldn't have helped us after some games," Dumars said. "That's only natural in this position. But if you ask me long-term, overall vision of what we're trying to do in this Eastern Conference where size is a premium, I have not second-guessed myself one time.

"And the big picture is not a slight to Carmelo. He's a big-time player and deserving of all the accolades he's getting. We had a one-time chance with the No. 2 pick to get a big-time 7-foot-1 talent that we can develop from age 18. We could not pass that up."

That is what the smart GM's think about size. That is why our Organization has gone thru hell to finally see the light one day. And it will be a championship.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
6'11, 300 pounds doesnt count as size, when you play like your 6'7, 200 pounds and cant rebound.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
You just proved my point and you did not intend to. WAY too many GM's go for size before actual quality basketball talent. So what if Darko is 7'1 will he ever be the quality of player that Melo is now and will be? No. Detroit made a mistake there and will regret it. I mean they have Okur and Wallace why the need for Darko?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
6'11, 300 pounds doesnt count as size, when you play like your 6'7, 200 pounds and cant rebound.
:yes:

i agree. maybe all that size will just make curry the most average, disappointing player in the history of the nba.

i'd keep him though if it was my decision (unless a top 10 player was available in a larger trade).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Originally posted by <b>basghetti80</b>!
You just proved my point and you did not intend to. WAY too many GM's go for size before actual quality basketball talent. So what if Darko is 7'1 will he ever be the quality of player that Melo is now and will be? No. Detroit made a mistake there and will regret it. I mean they have Okur and Wallace why the need for Darko?
Uh, and you can tell this based on the 48 minutes total that Darko has played in the league?

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
This is one thing I don't like about the NBA. When a player like Darko has not played much we all assume he will be great but just is not ready. I know Melo is fantastic now and will continue to get better. I see no reason why he will not be a perennial all star. Will Darko be that? Maybe but you KNOW Melo will(barring something unforseen like a career threatening injury or something). Go with what you know regardless of anything else.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
When you've been in the league three/four years, there are some things that should start to click in your head such as boxing out, and defensive rotations. Yes, Curry is a oyung player, but he's been doing this for three years and he still is unable to do the simple stuff that should have stuck by now. You see aguy like Amare Stoudemire, who like Curry was supposed to be bought along slowly, but played his way and hasn't looked back dominate in a shorter time than Curry, you have to wonder.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I see guys like Bosh, Stoudamire, Nene, Brown, Boozer do the basics of rebounding and defense...then build on that by adding a jumpshot and some post moves, etc. All those guys are near the same age as Eddy, or younger.

I cant recall any player with Currys size, whos had such nice moves but such bad defense and rebounding. Defense and rebounding is expected from a big man, so much that we overlooked it. With his work ethic, I dont expect that he will ever do those things.

A big man has to rebound and defend, those are the basics. Two of the most important aspects of basketball.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts