Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would we rather have Nash on our team? Keep in mind Dirk's development as a true franchise player, our offseason moves last summer, and our financial situation. On the surface, it looks like an easy yes, but would Dirk be better off being catered to, and being somewhat "spoiled" with a guy to set him up? Would it be best for Devin Harris? Would we have even made the Jamison trade if it weren't for our doubts about Nash? What about the Antoine Walker trade? When you think about it, he was the root of every move last offseason, and he was gone within minutes of the free agent period's start. I guess my question is, was losing Nash actually the best thing for us, as a team? This is a bit speculative, but we could still have our entire team from last year if Nash had resigned. Given our improvement from last year, did we make the right move not re-signing Nash?

IMO, his move to Phoenix set up a chain reaction that actually made us a lot better.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
According to Cuban, if the Mavs had signed Nash at the price it would have taken to get him away from Phoenix, they would not have had the resources to make the Dampier deal. So with that said than I think there is no doubt that this team is better without Nash.

Now if you ask me if we take the team we have right now including Dampier and simply add Nash, I would be thrilled to have Nash. But not at the expense of Damp. Despite the great things Nash does on the offensive end of the court he is still a liability on the defensive end and that would not fly well with Avery Johnson. Jason Terry and Devin Harris are much better defenders and that makes up for some of the loss on the offensive end.

I don't necessarily think that Dirk would not be a leader if Nash was still here. Each year Dirk has become a bigger leader and I think that would have continued with or without Nash here.

We are no doubt a better team than last year so whether it was the Nash leaving that did it or not is not really clear. This team was going to be blown up in the off season regardless of Nash. We were still going to deal Jamison and Walker in my opinion. Now whether we would have made different trades than we did I don't really know. I could see them still drafting Harris if Nash was still here so maybe that trade happens anyway. We need a young guy to be the one to take over after Nash. But if we had Nash and Harris, maybe we don't make the trade for Jason Terry. They may have looked for some other hole to fill if we were set at PG.

I don't see why we would not have still tried to get Dampier but according to Cuban we could not have afforded to make that deal.

However we got where we are, I am happy that the team is what it is.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Steve Nash is an excellent point guard and is great for any team. I think the real problem was Antoine Walker he dominated the ball too much. Last year minus Antonie Walker would have been a much better team. Everyone bought into sharing the ball except for him. So this year Nash gets a lot of the crap that Walker caused last year. Most of the problems from last year had nothing to do with Nash.

Now I believe down the line it's going to be a smart move. You just don't sign point guard's over 30 to long term deals. The position is very demanding and puts a lot of wear and tear on the body. Phoenix looks really smart right now but down the line they may not. That's no knock on Nash that's just what happens to player who plays the style he does.

Another reason this is going to be a smart move is because we got Devin Harris. He's going to be stud in this league for years to come. Anybody in the league would trade younger for older if he's a stud. Especially since the Mavs are set up for the present and future. Now they don't have to worry about getting a point guard for a long time. Also, getting Damp has finally solved our center issue. This team wasn't going anywhere until they got a consistant center. Damp has shown he can be that and free up Dirk. We all know how dangerous Dirk is when he's open.

All in all I think it worked out well for both Nash and the Mavericks. He got the contract he wanted and the Mavs got more athletic and younger at that position. Nash is definantly getting the credit he has deserved the past few years. Also, on a team that will be competing for a good while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts