Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a big Thome fan. Might be a nice addition to the World Champs. I'm guessing he'll be their DH. Hope his career doesn't end like Thomas'.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
That would be a very nice deal for the Phillies. As for the White Sox, who would play CF then, Podsednik or are they planning on making Anderson a regular?

Thome would be a very nice addition offensively, but I'll have to wait and see what the champs do in their other moves.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Looks like it's pretty much done...

White Sox to deal Rowand for Phillies' Thome

The Philadelphia Phillies have agreed to trade first baseman Jim Thome to the Chicago White Sox for center fielder Aaron Rowand.

The deal, confirmed by the Phillies, is expected to include major cash considerations due to the size of Thome's contract, ESPN.com's Buster Olney reported. The deal is dependent on players passing physicals.

Thome, 35, is due about $12.5 million in 2006 and $14 million in each of the final two seasons of his six-year contract. The Phillies have a club option for 2009, and he has a no-trade clause.

The four-time All-Star hit .207 with seven homers and 30 RBI in 59 games this year before having season-ending surgery on his right elbow in August. Thome has 430 homers since making his major-league debut in 1991.

Rowand, 28, set career highs in 2004 by hitting .310 with 38 doubles, 24 homers and 69 RBI.

He became eligible for salary arbitration for the first time after making $340,000 in 2004, and signed a new contract with the White Sox in January.

He earned $2 million in 2005 and is expected to receive $3.25 million in 2006. Chicago has a club option for 2007 at $5 million and Rowand holds a player option for 2007 at $3.25 million.

·
This...is BBB.net
5,416 Posts
I hate this deal for the White Sox. Thome looks to be pretty much done whereas Rowands career is far from it. Unless the Phillies are taking a large chunk of Thome's contract this deal makes no sense. Rowand is an above average fielder who can play all 3 OF positions, and in 2004 hit, 310, with 24 bombs.

Thome is owed 43.5 Million dollars over the next 3 years, are you telling me you couldn't have gotten say a Mike Piazza for similar cash to DH for you, and then kept Rowand. This trade doesn't make sense to me at all, Phillies make out like bandits.

·
The Baseball Guru
12,161 Posts
Wink said:
I hate this deal for the White Sox. Thome looks to be pretty much done whereas Rowands career is far from it. Unless the Phillies are taking a large chunk of Thome's contract this deal makes no sense. Rowand is an above average fielder who can play all 3 OF positions, and in 2004 hit, 310, with 24 bombs.

Thome is owed 43.5 Million dollars over the next 3 years, are you telling me you couldn't have gotten say a Mike Piazza for similar cash to DH for you, and then kept Rowand. This trade doesn't make sense to me at all, Phillies make out like bandits.

? Why give Rowand a extension when Anderson is ML Ready, almost as good as Rowand, has a chance to be a Vernon Wells type player, I love the deal for the Phillies, Rowand + Howard + Utley make a great young core to go along with their vets.

·
This...is BBB.net
5,416 Posts
are you telling me they couldn't have found a taker for Rowand that wasn't owed 43 million dollars. CF'ers are a premium, I'm pretty sure the Yankees, Red Sox, or a handful of other teams would have taken him without leaving the White Sox with an almost 50 million dollar price tag.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Wink said:
are you telling me they couldn't have found a taker for Rowand that wasn't owed 43 million dollars. CF'ers are a premium, I'm pretty sure the Yankees, Red Sox, or a handful of other teams would have taken him without leaving the White Sox with an almost 50 million dollar price tag.
sox only need to pay like 7 mil a year over the next 3 for thome

rowand was 3 mil a year... not a big difference at all

phillies are picking up 22 mil of the 43 total

Konerko will still be signed...

Thome is the left handed DH the Sox have been looking for...

Pods
Iguchi
Konerko
Thome
Dye

is a pretty nice start to the lineup

·
Registered
64 Posts
Brian Anderson (stud CF prospect for the White Sox, who hit two homers v.s Felix Rodriguez in his second start, and who plays better D than Rowand) is more than ready to take over for Rowand. I like the deal from the perspective of both teams. A healthy Thome/Konerko + stud pitching and defense = 100+ wins for the Sox. Rowand is a grinder who will play great defense and hit around .270-300 for the next 6 seasons. Philly fans will love him, unless the pattern (losing 40 points from his previous seasons batting avaerage continues. I think both players were on steroids at one point, so time will tell how this one turns out...

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Wink said:
As HAWK23 points out, the White Sox shedded Rowand's contract and of the 43.5M, the Phillies are picking up MORE than half of the remaining dollars. This was a MUCH better trade for the Sox, that Delgado was for the Mets.

-Petey

·
Registered
458 Posts
HoustonRockets87 said:
great trade for the phills. howard's gonna be a great 1st baseman.
It is, Rowand will give you a .270 average, possibly .300 if he goes back on the roids. The Sox have a better prospect in the wings, hence the reason Rowand was expendable.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Petey said:
As HAWK23 points out, the White Sox shedded Rowand's contract and of the 43.5M, the Phillies are picking up MORE than half of the remaining dollars. This was a MUCH better trade for the Sox, that Delgado was for the Mets.

-Petey
By 1.2 Milllion dollars. Quite frankly I don't mind helping out the White sox 22 million in 3 yrs, is far more better then that of 43 mind you. With that in mind what to do with the 21 million dollars we saved? We could add a year and 5 million dollars more to the Offer we presented Billy Wagner thereby annihlating any chance the Mets get him. Once we re-signed Wagner, we still have 15.1 million dollars and a handful of free agents. I'd say we go after Reggie Sanders, and some good prospects that can fill the depth chart. Frankly There are numerous number of things we can do and Pat Gillick is expiramenting with them all, It's quite ironic that people gave him the name 'Stand Pat' When he could've very well propelled the team to the playoffs in 1 deal.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Sixerfanforlife said:
By 1.2 Milllion dollars. Quite frankly I don't mind helping out the White sox 22 million in 3 yrs, is far more better then that of 43 mind you. With that in mind what to do with the 21 million dollars we saved? We could add a year and 5 million dollars more to the Offer we presented Billy Wagner thereby annihlating any chance the Mets get him. Once we re-signed Wagner, we still have 15.1 million dollars and a handful of free agents. I'd say we go after Reggie Sanders, and some good prospects that can fill the depth chart. Frankly There are numerous number of things we can do and Pat Gillick is expiramenting with them all, It's quite ironic that people gave him the name 'Stand Pat' When he could've very well propelled the team to the playoffs in 1 deal.
Just like the Yankees, the Mets are about to open their OWN cable tv channel. Think you can really outspend what new funds they assume they are going to come into?

-Petey

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I am amazed they have their own cable tv channel, I wonder what it is for the Philadelphia Phillies? Comcast sportsnet thank you. Also funds? Who cares about funds, to attract fans to ball-parks and tv sets you need winning baseball, Mets never I repeat never will have winning baseball back before Pat Gillick takes this team to the playoffs.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Sixerfanforlife said:
I am amazed they have their own cable tv channel, I wonder what it is for the Philadelphia Phillies? Comcast sportsnet thank you. Also funds? Who cares about funds, to attract fans to ball-parks and tv sets you need winning baseball, Mets never I repeat never will have winning baseball back before Pat Gillick takes this team to the playoffs.
2005:
Mets: 2,782,212
Phillies: 2,665,301

In New York, winners are loved, but there are still tons of fans that follow lovable losers.

AND because they own their own station, they collect money on Commercials and (paid) programming even when the Mets games are not on.

They have traded for Delgado and want to sign Wagner, while the Phillies have done the reverse. If it comes down to money, and who Wagner thinks has a better shot to win, he's signing with the Mets.

-Petey

·
The Baseball Guru
12,161 Posts
Petey said:
2005:
Mets: 2,782,212
Phillies: 2,665,301

In New York, winners are loved, but there are still tons of fans that follow lovable losers.

AND because they own their own station, they collect money on Commercials and (paid) programming even when the Mets games are not on.

They have traded for Delgado and want to sign Wagner, while the Phillies have done the reverse. If it comes down to money, and who Wagner thinks has a better shot to win, he's signing with the Mets.

-Petey

Are you saying the Phillies have not improved at all?

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Ghost said:
Are you saying the Phillies have not improved at all?
They traded Thome and pay almost half his salary yearly, and then lost Wagner. Is that improvement?

-Petey

1 - 20 of 25 Posts