Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been saying this for a while, Thorn just doesn't know how to draft players. It all can start when he had a choice between Kobe Bryant and Kerry Kittles. Kerry had a great college career but Kobe had all the potental.I loved Kerry and he was amazing as a Net but still we could have had Kobe Bryant. Next the Michael Jordan insidence. Don't tell me Thorn drafted MJ, MJ fell into Thorn's lap. Anyone one of us would have taken MJ at the time. Next the Brandon Armstrong thing. He drafted Armstrong when Gilbert Arenas had a better college career. The only reason Thorn drafted Armstrong was because he was a big guard. Other teams also made a mistake not drafting Arenas. Also guys like Tony Parker and Gerald Wallace who was considered the best high school player were still on the board. Next he drafted Griffen who was solid. He didn't draft RJ he "traded" for him and Collins. Now Wright. I'm not sayng Wright is a bust he may actaully be pretty good but guys like Granger, Warrick, Green, Garcia were still there. There was even a time when Garcia completely dogged Wright in a game. Garcia had some pretty good games also. Also why not draft Green. We need to look for the future and what if Green does turn out to be the next Tmac. If were gonna have Wright just sit on the bench, why not have Green instead. Thorn is still a great GM but drafting is not one of his strong suits.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
lol people are too much these days

·
Registered
703 Posts
So, if you keep your theory consistent, there are 29 other GM's in this league that are also horrible at drafting players, right?

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
agilic said:
So, if you keep your theory consistent, there are 29 other GM's in this league that are also horrible at drafting players, right?

No, cat.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
jizzy said:
I have been saying this for a while, Thorn just doesn't know how to draft players. It all can start when he had a choice between Kobe Bryant and Kerry Kittles. Kerry had a great college career but Kobe had all the potental.I loved Kerry and he was amazing as a Net but still we could have had Kobe Bryant. Next the Michael Jordan insidence. Don't tell me Thorn drafted MJ, MJ fell into Thorn's lap. Anyone one of us would have taken MJ at the time. Next the Brandon Armstrong thing. He drafted Armstrong when Gilbert Arenas had a better college career. The only reason Thorn drafted Armstrong was because he was a big guard. Other teams also made a mistake not drafting Arenas. Also guys like Tony Parker and Gerald Wallace who was considered the best high school player were still on the board. Next he drafted Griffen who was solid. He didn't draft RJ he "traded" for him and Collins. Now Wright. I'm not sayng Wright is a bust he may actaully be pretty good but guys like Granger, Warrick, Green, Garcia were still there. There was even a time when Garcia completely dogged Wright in a game. Garcia had some pretty good games also. Also why not draft Green. We need to look for the future and what if Green does turn out to be the next Tmac. If were gonna have Wright just sit on the bench, why not have Green instead. Thorn is still a great GM but drafting is not one of his strong suits.
Pssst. Thorn didn't draft Kerry Kittles. That was years before his time.

And when you draft one guy and trade him for other guys drafted that day... you drafted the other guys. Its the way trades work. All the players have to be chosen before you can do the trade.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
It would be hard for some of "us" to choose MJ when some of "us" weren't even alive when it happened (and I'm not talking about me).

Do you even know the story between Kobe and the Nets?

I do find it funny, though, how you say Thorn didn't draft RJ, yet he drafted Armstrong. The rights to Griffin were traded for the rights to RJ, Collins, and Armstrong.

Oh yeah, Nenad Krstic much?

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You cats are all overreacting. Krstic was one I forget my bad but that's it.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Hbwoy said:
Gilbert Arenas anyone
Golden State passed over him. So did every other GM. That means every GM in the league sucks at drafting, including the one who drafted him.

Steals happen in the draft. You don't bash the other GMs that didn't take him, but you praise the one that did.

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
jizzy said:
Nenad Krstic, Kenyon Martin, Mile Ilic, Zoran Plannic?

Brian Scalabrinie in the second round?

They don't count for anything?

And Thorn drafted MJ, he could have had Barkley, Cage, or Stockton, he drafted MJ.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
Am not too sure on the whole MJ thing, can someone give me some info on that. Was he the GM for the bulls, and if so after drafting MJ was he fired or did he leave willingly

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Net2 said:
Nenad Krstic, Kenyon Martin, Mile Ilic, Zoran Plannic?

Brian Scalabrinie in the second round?

They don't count for anything?

And Thorn drafted MJ, he could have had Barkley, Cage, or Stockton, he drafted MJ.

Wasn't Thorn about to draft Chris Mihm, I heard someone convinced him to take Kmart at the last moment.

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Hbwoy said:
Am not too sure on the whole MJ thing, can someone give me some info on that. Was he the GM for the bulls, and if so after drafting MJ was he fired or did he leave willingly
He was their GM from 1978-1985. Then he spent the next 15 years as the NBA's Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations.

He was also the Head Coach of the Bulls for 30 games.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Okay, let's go through his "horrible" drafts:

2000 - Kenyon Martin [starter]

2001 - Richard Jefferson [starter] and Jason Collins [starter]

2002 - Nenad Krstic [starter]

2003 - Zoran Planinic [backup]

2004 - sold first round, Christian Drejer [in Europe]

2005 - Antoine Wright [third week of his career]

Last summer, ESPN and SI analysed the draft records of NBA teams over the past five years. The Nets finished fourth in one analysis and fifth in another.

Moreover, it appears, although it is hard to tell that you are talking about, second round choices, which is the biggest crapshoot in basketball. SIX TEAMS passed on Carlos Boozer TWICE in 2002. The Chicago Bulls took Trenton Hassell just before Golden State took Gilbert Arenas, the third time they passed on him. The Chicago Bulls passed on Michael Redd FOUR TIMES in 2000. EVERY team passed on Manu Ginobili, the Hawks FIVE TIMES, in 1999.

In other words, you do not know what you're talking about and this thread is worthless.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
jizzy said:
Wasn't Thorn about to draft Chris Mihm, I heard someone convinced him to take Kmart at the last moment.
no, that is false! chris mihm with the first overall pick, that would have been ludicrous. The first post in this thread, in fact, doesnt entirely make sense.

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NetIncome said:
Okay, let's go through his "horrible" drafts:

2000 - Kenyon Martin [starter]

2001 - Richard Jefferson [starter] and Jason Collins [starter]

2002 - Nenad Krstic [starter]

2003 - Zoran Planinic [backup]

2004 - sold first round, Christian Drejer [in Europe]

2005 - Antoine Wright [third week of his career]

Last summer, ESPN and SI analysed the draft records of NBA teams over the past five years. The Nets finished fourth in one analysis and fifth in another.

Moreover, it appears, although it is hard to tell that you are talking about, second round choices, which is the biggest crapshoot in basketball. SIX TEAMS passed on Carlos Boozer TWICE in 2002. The Chicago Bulls took Trenton Hassell just before Golden State took Gilbert Arenas, the third time they passed on him. The Chicago Bulls passed on Michael Redd FOUR TIMES in 2000. EVERY team passed on Manu Ginobili, the Hawks FIVE TIMES, in 1999.

In other words, you do not know what you're talking about and this thread is worthless.

I have a idea, Why don't you go look up what team is going to sign Damien Wilkins when he's a FA. That's what you do all day right.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
jizzy said:
Where do you get this crap? I mean really, do you make it up? Is this the way you think teams make draft choices? You think someone comes up to a GM and says, "don't take that player, take this one"?

Jesus.

·
Registered
976 Posts
jizzy said:
He was contemplating trading down, not thinking about taking him with the number 1 pick though

·
Registered
14,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mjm1 said:
no, that is false! chris mihm with the first overall pick, thats ludicrous. This entire thread, in fact, doesnt entirely make sense.

Stay positive man.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.