Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Thorn must be a 'fast talker'! Isola: Thomas's offer for Carter was BETTER!

623 views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Petey 
#1 ·
Last season, the Knicks made several bids to acquire Carter from Toronto but eventually lost out to the Nets, whose offer wasn't better than Isiah Thomas' proposal."

-New York Daily News
I don't even recall what they offered!

-Petey

#3 ·
Oh that's right, they rumored they would take Rose as well.

-Petey

#5 ·
Hbwoy said:
Smith kept ranting on ESPN how Toronto would have saved a truckload of money if they had taken the knicks offer. But from Toronto's perspective how many guys are going to go play there as free agents anyways
Why are they talking about the trade almost a year later?

-Petey

#10 ·
netsgiants said:
def a better deal, jalens contract is ridiculous
What good is getting out of the deal? They need to maintain a league minimum salary and they aren't swaying any big free agents there. They needed draft picks or young talent to lure free agents in the future. We gave them the picks.

Besides Tim Thomas' contract is even more ridiculous than Rose's because at least Rose has more talent.

#11 ·
We gave them Two great role players, and the pick used to take Joey Graham.

IMO I think that's a good deal, better than two cancers. One a has-been and the other a never-was.

#12 · (Edited)
Hbwoy said:
Smith kept ranting on ESPN how Toronto would have saved a truckload of money if they had taken the knicks offer. But from Toronto's perspective how many guys are going to go play there as free agents anyways
Nets took on Carter's the $57.9 million remaining on his contract. In return, they gave up Zo [whose buyout cost the Raptors $10 million, but that is no longer on their cap thanks to the amnesty provision dump] plus Aaron Williams, who was owed $7.3 million and Eric Williams, who was owed $11.55 million.

So in terms of cap space, the Raptors saved a grand total of $39 million over three years. I don't see how the Knicks could have saved them more [noting of course at the time no one know that the amnesty provison would save the Raps the cost of the buyout.] And the Knicks didn't offer the Raptors two draft choices. The Nets did.

The Raptors wanted two things out of the deal: draft choices and cap space. If they can somehow make those work over the next three years, then the deal won't be as bad as it looks now. However, Joey Graham, the first pick they exercised, does not look like a world beater and their remaining draft pick from the deal is a Nuggets pick, not likely to be a lottery pick. More importantly, the problem with Toronto having cap space is that the Raptors have no history of signing BIG-TIME free agents. Players don't want to spend a winter in Toronto or pay Canadian taxes or play for a perennial loser. Hakeem doesnt count. He was toast by the time the Raptors signed him to that dreadful deal.

#13 ·
Net2 said:
We gave them Two great role players, and the pick used to take Joey Graham.

IMO I think that's a good deal, better than two cancers. One a has-been and the other a never-was.
They were NOT great role players. They were and are, at this point in their careers, mediocre players. Neither has done a thing in Toronto. Aaron WIlliams was never the same after he had knee surgery in 2003 on both knees and Eric Williams is a player vastly overrated by this board. He is a terrible shooter and is now 33 and has scored a grand total of two points.

#15 ·
Mogriffjr said:
it depends on what the Raptors wanted. For VC, they wanted to get some cheap guys and get some draft picks. If they wanted to save money, they would have considered the Knicks offer of guys who are coming off the books relatively soon.
I think it is still possible they will buy out Eric Williams. He has played five minutes in one game, scored 2 points and is being paid $3.85 million with another $4 million due next year.

#17 ·
The New York media believes they can get anyone in a salary dump (see VC and KG)

With the sad state of affairs in Toronto, the NJ deal would have been the best option, even though Babcock should have gotten an extra draft pick out the deal

#18 ·
NetIncome said:
I think it is still possible they will buy out Eric Williams. He has played five minutes in one game, scored 2 points and is being paid $3.85 million with another $4 million due next year.
With those kind of numbers, he might not find time in NJ.

-Petey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.