Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Giving Kyle Korver away.
No, he didnt. The only mistake he made was not getting a little bit more for him. He is a 3 pt shooter, but thats it. No D, no post-game, no off the dribble, no NOTHING. Anyways, Im pretty happy going 14-4 in our last 18 games. Its no time to complain.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>jmk</b>!

No, he didnt. The only mistake he made was not getting a little bit more for him. He is a 3 pt shooter, but thats it. No D, no post-game, no off the dribble, no NOTHING. Anyways, Im pretty happy going 14-4 in our last 18 games. Its no time to complain.
Are you watching the 76ers/Mavs game tonight?

If Korver gets ANY room to shoot, he is lights out. That is exactly what the Nets need when teams zone up on them.

No D? Eh, he looks average out there. Korver isn't Kenyon Martin, but he is no worse than a Brandon Armstrong/Tamar Slay.

No post game, no off the dribble? Let Kidd kick it out to him for all I care. Let Kenyon pass out to him off of the double. WHO CARES. Dude is lights out.

I'm as big of a Thorn fan as anyone, but I am not a homer. Thorn screwed up GIVING Korver, a player who fits a need on the Nets, away for nothing.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Thorn screwed up GIVING Korver, a player who fits a need on the Nets, away for nothing.
He DOESNT fit on the Nets though. All of the Nets players play tough D, run the court well, and fit in the system. I dont see Korver as doing that. And if he was on the team, whose minutes would you cut? Veal? Griffin when he comes? Rodney if he keeps playing like this? WHO?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PSUmtj112</b>!
Thorn screwed up GIVING Korver, a player who fits a need on the Nets, away for nothing.
He didn't screw up with that, but he did screw up opting for whatever spare change the Sixers gave us for Korver instead of taking a flier on any foreign prospect.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He DOESNT fit on the Nets though. All of the Nets players play tough D, run the court well, and fit in the system. I dont see Korver as doing that. And if he was on the team, whose minutes would you cut? Veal? Griffin when he comes? Rodney if he keeps playing like this? WHO?
Your description of the "Nets" is accurate for their starters, but I have seen enough Nets games to understand their pattern. Starters get a lead, then we pray that the bench doesn't blow it.

There are plenty of players on the Nets that don't lock people down. Zoran Planinic, Robert Pack, Brandon Amrstrong, Tamar Slay, Rodney Rogers. Korver is no different than them defensively.

You are right though, Korver is different offensively...but that is the point. They have no one who can shoot like him. I'd glady take that over...say Brandon Amrstrong, who provides nothing.

Whose minutes would I cut? Well I refuse to get excited about Rodney Rogers. One good game every two monts doesn't do it for me. The amount of time Korver would play would depend on the opponent. Veal deserves his minutes. Griffin..i'm going to wait and see.

But as is, the Nets bench rarely out scores its' opponents bench. I'm sick of seeing them go minutes with out a FG. Is the Nets bench so good defensively that they don't have room for a shooter? I don't think so.

Most of all, Thorn gave up Korver for nothing. It's not like there is a positive side to this. There are players that could have been moved to make room for Korver and his second round salary.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Zoran Planinic, Robert Pack, Brandon Amrstrong, Tamar Slay, Rodney Rogers. Korver is no different than them defensively.
Notice a trend here? Only one, and thats questionable, of these guys even gets off the bench. So youre saying hes better than the players who dont even play, what does that say? I dont think Thorn f'ed up by giving him away, just by giving him for so little.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Notice a trend here? Only one, and thats questionable, of these guys even gets off the bench. So youre saying hes better than the players who dont even play, what does that say?
I used them as an example of players that don't fit the stereotype you set for a "Nets" player.

It's nice that the Nets are getting some wins and I am happy on the whole about the Nets right now.

But are you honestly happy with the way the Nets bench plays?

Especially when teams zone up against our bench and we go scoreless for minutes on end?

It may not be noticable now against teams like Washington, but if the Nets ever want to compete with teams like Sac-town, SA, etc, they are going to have play offense for a full 48 minutes. I like the Nets starters, but for the Nets to win against the good teams their starters pretty much have to out play the opposing teams starters by that much more to win. How often is that going to happen against Sac-town, SA, etc?

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
I agree with PSUmtj112. Thorn missed a good opportunity to get some shooting talent on the bench. The decision perplexed a lot of fans and as has been pointed out, Thorn would typically not sell Korver for cash, so it seems the decision might have been taken by the owners; who knows.

Any how, we do have a wild card in Griffin. Let's see what he can do. Armstrong is one player who is completely useless, and does not deserve a guaranteed contract:sigh:

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
I'd definitely trade Armstrong or Slay for him, but even if he was here, he would be seeing as much playing time as those guys have, so he would have very little impact on the team.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I didn't mind trading away Korver. Like others, though, I didn't like that he was given away to a division rival for practically nothing in NBA terms. For a deep 2nd round pick, he WAS the best 3-pt shooter in NCAA history, after all. That's marketable, and a future 2nd round pick would have been more useful. Rather than a cash pay-out, it would have been worthwhile to see what the kid could do. If the Nets had tried him out then cut him later in the summer league or pre-season, that would have been palateable, too.

When it comes to 11th or 12th men, I belong more in the school of thought that it's better to have a 'situational' player who's really good at 1 thing than one who's okay at a few things. Kerr didn't come off the Spurs bench all of last season because he could only do one thing at the end of his career - until he torched the Nets to win the championship. Korver fits the specialized category. He isn't a retarded player in the sense of his over-all skills. He seems like a fairly heady player who can do enough in other areas to stay on the floor in order to shoot. Keep in mind a player doesn't need to be a super-athlete to work in the motion offense. He just needs to be able to move correctly, make the right pass and make good decisions. He IS a rookie, too, so we can't expect him to be a savvy veteran, who can hide all of his weaknesses, yet. For a rookie, he's already justified what the 76ers paid to get him.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
A point was made on the nj.com boards which I agree with. The Nets sold Korver to the Sixers right away, meaning the deal was probably already agreed to before the pick. So the Nets, if they kept the pick, may not have even taken him.

So that would mean that Korver wasn't even on Thorn's radar, which you may take as better or worse than selling him after he was drafted.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
yeah, I agee with that, in which case it's more of our bad luck than a mistake. However, I cannot still understand how we sold him for $150,000. I am sure the owners had some say, otherwise I doub if Thorn would have settled for anything less than a second pick.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I can believe the 76ers were making the pick. They needed shooting, too, and their offense is much more drive-and-dish than the Nets offense. I don't think Korver is as much a stiff as he's made out to be, but a player who was reputed to be only a spot-up shooter fit the 76ers better.

With Veal, Slay and Armstrong - all drafted as shooters in their own right - competing for PT at the end of the rotation, it makes sense that adding another shooter, salary and space-eater to that group wasn't a priority. It's too bad. Korver has already accomplished more as a shooter than all of the above.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts