Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
57,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have clips or suggested readings (books) on Dr. J?

I'd love to learn more on him.

-Petey

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
I had no idea he was drafted by the Bucks. That was a suprise.

I thought he was drafted by some NBA team, didn't know it was the Bucks. I guess the draft rights had expired by 1976, since he was able to go to the Sixers.

Also, Imagine Dr. J, Oscar, and Kareem playing together!! I'm suprised he didn't go to Milwaukee. I guess the Squires offered more money.

·
Banned
57,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I'm not kidding.

I'm only 28, don't know how old you think I am, but I started following the Nets and basketball when I was in 8th grade. Untill then I was only a baseball fan.

So I don't know anything of Dr. J.

Why I asked really.

-Petey

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Net2 said:
I had no idea he was drafted by the Bucks. That was a suprise.

I thought he was drafted by some NBA team, didn't know it was the Bucks. I guess the draft rights had expired by 1976, since he was able to go to the Sixers.

Also, Imagine Dr. J, Oscar, and Kareem playing together!! I'm suprised he didn't go to Milwaukee. I guess the Squires offered more money.
NBA wasn't drafting underclassmen yet.

And, when Julius was a Squire, he tried to jump leagues, and there was a nationwide picture of Erving in a Hawks uniform.

·
Banned
57,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
squaleca said:
DR J most overated BBall player of all time!! yes granted he is a great player but to put him in the top 5 or even top 10 all time is ludacris!!!!!!!!
Vince Carter took his spot 2 months ago?

-Petey

·
Steal of the Draft
8,008 Posts
squaleca said:
DR J most overated BBall player of all time!! yes granted he is a great player but to put him in the top 5 or even top 10 all time is ludacris!!!!!!!!
I think your out of your mind. Dr. J is not overrated, he was a great basketball player and deserves to be up there. He changed the way the game was played. I might not be very old, but I've seen plenty of Dr. J, and I can tell you he isn't the most overrated player of all time.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Blazer Freak said:
I think your out of your mind. Dr. J is not overrated, he was a great basketball player and deserves to be up there. He changed the way the game was played. I might not be very old, but I've seen plenty of Dr. J, and I can tell you he isn't the most overrated player of all time.

im just saying that he isnt up there with MJ, MJ, BR, WC, OR etc not even close to being there and people think he is!!!

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Vinsane said:
it must be old it should be from Julius to Vince
(Rolls eyes)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Don't know what to say other than that it's something a lot of you guys missed.

ABA Julius was a once in a lifetime experience.

To compare Vince to Julius is a joke.

But you guys believe what you must.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Julius is credited as being the first guy to play above the rim. In fact, if memory serves, for a few years the NBA BANNED dunking because they felt it gave him an unfair advantage. Montross? Am I right about that? If for nothing else, he is one of the greatest players for revolutionizing the game itself.

He's also one of the few guys from that era who could be known universally by nothing more than a nickname, in any sport. That, more than anything else, shows his impact and universal appeal.

The Dr. J-Moses Malone combo was lethal. They played the Lakers in the finals in the early 80s, and Dr. J. made a play that Magic Johnson later called the greatest he ever witnessed in his career. Dr. J twisted in the air to avoid making contact with Kareem under the basket, and put in a finger roll, while still in the air, while behind the backboard.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
I've seen a few complete NBA Classic games w/ Julius, enough to truly allocate him as 1 of the greatest ever. I say he is a low top 10 of all-time (8,9 or 10) but there are so many great players that could be argued above him so I wouldn't & either should he be pushed below the top 15 in terms of greatest players ever. He was a marvel to watch offensively. When Jordan, Dominique & VC looks up to a player then you know that alone is greatness.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
From the 1975 Edition of the Zander Hollander annual:

After just three years, experts are already calling him the best forward to play the game ... That judgment still must stand the test of time, but he's the best now ... Captured the scoring title the last two years and was MVP in both the regular season and playoffs in 1973-74 ... Got the Dr. J. nickname while still a youngster in Roosevelt, NY,, where he was born Feb. 22, 1950 ... Became a more complete player adding defense and playmaking to his shooting and rebounding, after coming to the Nets from the Squires last year ... Also became wealthier, signing a huge, new contract. Owner Roy Boe had to pay off both Virginia and NBA Hawks to acquire him ... Nice guy who hasn't been spoiled by success ... Likes privacy, though, delayed wedding by several hours last winter when site got out ... Left UMass after junior year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.