Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
air force improved to 14-2 the other night with a win at home against utah. i've seen air force play in the past and there home games have been in front of half packed unenthusiastic house. not tonight. the place was packed and the fans were...well...fanatical. air force played an extremely weak out of conference schedule, so going into conference play it was hard to tell if they were legit, or if they were just good enough to beat the lower level teams they were playing. after a 4-0 conference start that includes wins at new mexico, and at home against conference favorites and hawaii, i think it is safe to say that they are in fact legit.

this is joe scott's fourth season as air force's head coach. in the previous. every season they have finished last, usually winning only three games in conference. this is a drastic turnaround. although they used to give teams fits in the past with their slow down offense that was designed to run clock, and either create a back door layup or a three point shot, they rarely beat them. this year, they have been. in fact, they are on an 11 game winning streak and only twice have they won by less than ten points.

the two games i've seen them play against byu and utah, i was impressed with the fans, the enthusiasm, the execution and poise of the team, the way they dominated the tempo of the game, the way they ran their offense as if they were conducting a symphony, and of course, the way they flustered the other team on defense. their rpi is rather low and their resume currently isn't all that impressive in terms of getting a high seed due to their poor schedule, but with back to back convincing wins over utah and byu, i think they are good enough to be an at large team. it is unfortunate that they scheduled so poorly. had they had other chances to play better teams, they could have built themselves a little more at this point. the best team on their schedule was auburn and they lost rather convincingly on the road, but since then they have won 11 straight and have most likely improved a great deal since then.

the falcons' next two games are on the road at san diego state and unlv. up until this year, they had only won two conference road games in the four years they had been members of the mwc. however, the way they are playing now i think they could win both of these. that matchup against san diego state should be interesting. wesley stokes, a former missouri player, is their point guard. he moves the ball well and controls the tempo well. it will certainly be interesting to watch the perimeter play of both teams.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
They play the lowest-scoring games I have ever seen, but they are playing their game and winning. You can't argue w/ Ws. They are a dangerous team, and one that coaches/teams hate to play. They are tough and they hustle. I think they'll be a scary team if the make the tourney - I think they could pull an upset or two.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I like what they have done so far but I think this weekend's road trips will give them trouble. Both SDSU and UNLV can be athletic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts