Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1) How many 1st Round picks do the Blazers have next summer?

#2) In light of the supposed available talent in 2006 vs. 2007, do any of you think the Blazers will trade any extra (or all) picks in 2006 to put themselves in better shape in 2007?

#3) In light of these first two questions, will Rudy Gay be a factor in the strategy and/or decision? I hear he may not go until 2007.

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,969 Posts
Im not sure actucally but i would like to get Rudy gay if he makes him self available this year.Then next year get Adam morrison from gonzaga if he makes him self available.If rudy gay doesnt come then trade some of our picks for 07 draft and players.Like Ruben patterson,whatever picks we have,For some 07 picks after this year and a back up pf.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,509 Posts
ABM said:
#1) How many 1st Round picks do the Blazers have next summer?
2. Ours and Detroits, which will be late, late 1st round.

ABM said:
#2) In light of the supposed available talent in 2006 vs. 2007, do any of you think the Blazers will trade any extra (or all) picks in 2006 to put themselves in better shape in 2007?
Maybe. I'd rather do that, considering the Detroit pick will be probably #28-30 this year. I'd rather see us trade for a future 1st round pick that could be a bit higher, hopefully.

ABM said:
#3) In light of these first two questions, will Rudy Gay be a factor in the strategy and/or decision? I hear he may not go until 2007.

Thanks!
Maybe. I've watched a lot of Rudy Gay and I don't like him that much. I know he's supposed to be great, but he's incredibly inconsistant. He played great in the 1st game of the preseason tourny, but then was invisible in the last game. Who knows what Blazers scouts think though.

I'd rather see us get a big man in the draft. LaMarcus Aldridge would be nice. Josh McRoberts looks good, though I doubt he'll come out after this season. Josh Boone plays great defense. Tiago Splitter still looks good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts
Obviously, we look for a trade to improve our 'pick' - but with our team seemingly better than projected....we'll have a worse pick if not missing the lottery altogether. We better select the best player we can or trade for a key addition.

Season's end is a long way off - but good to be planning what our move should be.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was talking with my best friend, Blazer Prophet, this afternoon, and we both agreed that we don't think there is a need to go after a higher level FA at ANY position next summer.

Therefore (we both agree), the Blazers should draft (even trade up for) the absolute best PF in the 2006 draft.

And, we both agree - ironically enough - Z-Bo would, no, should, then be the Blazers most marketed player in the following 1-2 years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,001 Posts
It seems to make sense that Gay would come out... if he's got a chance to be #1, he should DEFINITELY come out, because he won't be the #1 in 2007 or 2008 (Oden and Mayo, respectively, seem sure-fire #1's in those draft).

Like Fork, I'm not convinced that Gay is anything approaching a sure thing. He is still very young but I just watch him and wonder if he's assertive enough and/or if he has any great skills to justify a top-3 spot. He reminds me a bit of Deng, who's still a question mark for the Bulls although he's starting to step it up this year. Of course, Luol was the #7 pick, rather than a top 3 or even 1st overall, so expectations for him are a bit different than they'll be for Gay.

I think that Bargnani might be the guy the Blazers will want with our lottery pick in 2006.

Ed O.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,320 Posts
Rudy Gay may be a solid prospect, but just how many SF prospects can one team have at one time? I'm hoping that the Blazers can find a PF in the draft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,107 Posts
Ed O said:
Like Fork, I'm not convinced that Gay is anything approaching a sure thing. He is still very young but I just watch him and wonder if he's assertive enough and/or if he has any great skills to justify a top-3 spot. He reminds me a bit of Deng, who's still a question mark for the Bulls although he's starting to step it up this year. Of course, Luol was the #7 pick, rather than a top 3 or even 1st overall, so expectations for him are a bit different than they'll be for Gay.

Ed O.
We have another SF who was picked #3 and never really was assertive enough or put in the work to live up to his draft position. Would Miles also be a good comparasion?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,974 Posts
The Italian Center or Adam Morrison. I know we have a glut of SF's, but I think Morrison is going to be a heck of a player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,107 Posts
In light of the supposed available talent in 2006 vs. 2007, do any of you think the Blazers will trade any extra (or all) picks in 2006 to put themselves in better shape in 2007? Will Rudy Gay be a factor in the strategy and/or decision? I hear he may not go until 2007.
You could argue that having another top play other than Oden would ensure that we trade this year's picks for a top pick next year, but I'm not sold on Gay either. I see Gay as a Miles clone. And Outlaw is pretty close to being another. I don't see how Gay would bring much to the team, so he is a non-factor in the decision for me. Oden is supposed to be a stud, and I would love to have him, but I have no idea how the other big men in those two drafts stack up or which year would give us the best chance of getting a top big man. I'm anxious to win, so, all things being equal, I'd rather take the picks we have this year and get our players as soon as possible.

ABM said:
I was talking with my best friend, Blazer Prophet, this afternoon, and we both agreed that we don't think there is a need to go after a higher level FA at ANY position next summer.
Possibly center, especially if Joel leaves.

Therefore (we both agree), the Blazers should draft (even trade up for) the absolute best PF in the 2006 draft.
I totally agree as well. The Detroit pick means little to me other than another chip to trade. To me, the only question is if we will get a better PF by trading up this year or next.

And, we both agree - ironically enough - Z-Bo would, no, should, then be the Blazers most marketed player in the following 1-2 years.
Probably true, especially since he is probably the player we could get the most for.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ed O said:
I think that Bargnani might be the guy the Blazers will want with our lottery pick in 2006.

Ed O.
If that's a case of subtle overtness, Ed, I liked it. ;)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top