Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on this article about the Sonics perhaps trading Brent Barry, here's an idea to throw out there:

PORTLAND trades Rasheed Wallace and their 2004 1st round pick
PORTLAND receives Brent Barry, Theo Ratliff and Atlanta's 2004 1st round pick

ATLANTA trades Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Theo Ratliff and their 2004 1st round pick
ATLANTA receives Rasheed Wallace, Vitaly Potapenko, Ronald Murray and Portland's 2004 1st round pick

SEATTLE trades Brent Barry, Vitaly Potapenko and Ronald Murray
SEATTLE receives Shareef Abdur-Rahim

Yes, I know that the chances of a deal involving Portland and Seattle are slim-to-none. I also know that Seattle wants to hang onto Murray - but for a PF the caliber of Abdur-Rahim.....

The "problem" from Portland's end is that I would make this trade in order to send Stoudamire to the bench. I'm not sure that Cheeks would see things the same way.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Atlanta dumps 76% of SAR and Ratliffs salary in one year instead of 2.. why would Atlanta not do it? They are supposedly on orders to dump salary.

Portland's roster
PG Barry, Stoudamire, Woods
SG DA, Person
SF Miles, Patterson, (Woods)
PF Randolph, Davis, Outlaw
C Ratliff, (Davis), Stepania

:drool:

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by <b>Starbury03</b>!
No way Atlanta will trade their first they want Dwight Howard.
If Atlanta is putting all their hopes into the fate of a ping pong ball, then you're right that they won't make this trade. I'm not convinced that they are.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
as probably the boards biggest Brent Barry mark, I have to contain myself and say this is not a bad trade.

However, I doubt that Seattle will trade *both* Barry and Murray, just to get SAR.

Im not saying that Murray and Barry are worth more, but they lose their starting PG, and a good SG in the process.

I'd like it from our prospective (altho I'd rather trade the worse of our 2 picks).

positives for Portland:

Get a defensive minded C/PF in Ratliff.

Get a good PG who can help stop the bleeding at that position.

And in theory, we could get another lottery pick out of the deal (which you'd hope, unless the basketball gods want to really mess with us, would be better than ours)...

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
If the selection is protected, I would only accept it if it was only protected for the top 1 or 2 spots, not if it was lottery protected.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
This From Marentette (Blazers Weblog)

Seattle poll:

"Nearing the midpoint of the 2003-04 season, the Sonics are treading water with two natural small forwards -- Rashard Lewis and Vladimir Radmanovic -- in the starting lineup. What should the team do?"

1) Trade Vladimir Radmanovic (39.8%)
2) Trade Rashard Lewis (35.8%)
3) Trade both players (9.9%)
4) Keep both players (14.5%)

It's not known whether the Sonics are shopping either player, but wouldn't Rashard Lewis look good in a Blazers uniform?

Would the Sonics and Blazers consider a swap of Rasheed Wallace, Qyntel Woods and Vladimir Stepania for Lewis, Jerome James and Vitaly Potapenko?

The 7-1 James has one more year and $5.4 mil left on his contract. You have to imagine the Sonics would rather unload Calvin Booth (3 more years and $19 mil) instead of of James, but that might be worth it to get a skilled, athletic and young small forward to play alongside Zach Randolph.

Why would Seattle do this? The Sonics would get the skilled big man they've been coveting for a long time in Wallace. This would allow Rad Man to move to the '3', with Jerome James or Calvin Booth manning the middle.

The Blazers would get a natural small forward in Lewis, who is averaging 18.5 ppg and 7.2 rpg this season. His 6-10, 215 lb frame would allow him to guard small forwards more effectively than Wallace is able, while freeing up the paint for Zach Randolph to work on the offensive end.

Lewis, who has the ability to post up, is also an excellent 3-point shooter (38.5% for his career).

I know many teams are wary of making blockbuster trades within their division. But I love the prospect of re-igniting the I-5 rivalry with the Sonics, and a swap of Lewis for Wallace would improve both teams and spark fan interest in the Rose City.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
quit teasing us ABM... Lewis :eek:

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
I don't mind the trade from a Sonics perspective. It's tough giving up Barry and Murray, but for a guy like SAR it would be worth it.

PG: AD/Ridnour
SG: Allen/Frahm
SF: Lewis/Radman
PF: SAR/Evans (Collison next season)
C: James/Booth

That's a nice lineup. :D

The problem is the Hawks in this deal. They are headed for the leagues worst record and probably don't want to give up their pick. If they don't trade their pick then it probably kills the deal for Portland too. :(

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
But they might swing it if they protect it top 3...

The Blazers already have two decent pics coming up, I'm sure they wouldn't mind waiting a year for an even higher one.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
First off ATL isn't GIVING up their pick. They are merely trading down a few spots. IF POR deals Sheed, we WILL be in the lottery, and we WILL have a mid lotto pick (#6-#10). ATL is guaranteed a pick from #1-5. So the swap of picks is not as great as some make it seem. Plus they get a whopping $17mil off the cap AND a nice young player in Murray. Is obtaining Murray worth the price of moving down a few spots?

What would be quite ironic IMO if this trade was made, would be if POR actually ended up with a TOP 3 pick! and had to send it to ATL! LOL...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts