Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why don't teams just catch the ball and throw it down court at the end of the game like Magic Johnson did to us during the 1991 Western Conference Finals? Is that considered a technical foul now? Or you could just throw it really high into the air! It would take a couple of seconds off the clock.

·
Registered
910 Posts
CelticPagan said:
Why don't teams just catch the ball and throw it down court at the end of the game like Magic Johnson did to us during the 1991 Western Conference Finals? Is that considered a technical foul now? Or you could just throw it really high into the air! It would take a couple of seconds off the clock.
how old were you in 1991, 1 year old?

·
Registered
841 Posts
To answer your question, it's not a technical foul. It's partly due to that's only appropriate in certain situations and partly due to players not thinking about it and partly due to there not being a need for it in a lot of those applicable situations.

·
Banned
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are a situation where it would be appropriate comes up quite often in basketball. Last night was a prime example.
We could have inbounded the ball and threw it down court, the clock would expire before it went out of bounds, but instead we gave the Bulls a chance at a 2/3 court shot that hit the front of the rim.

·
Registered
239 Posts
clock does not start until someone touches it. So if we just threw it down there they would get the ball back. I liked the idea the announcer had just to bounce the ball off a Bulls back who wasnt watching and the clock would expire before anybody relized what happened.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
tradetheo said:
so, being that he was young in 91, does that mean he couldn't have seen any videos of it?

I guess that invalidates his question. I mean, he was 1 year old.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
azsun18 said:
clock does not start until someone touches it. So if we just threw it down there they would get the ball back. I liked the idea the announcer had just to bounce the ball off a Bulls back who wasnt watching and the clock would expire before anybody relized what happened.
I've tricked myself into forgetting...wasn't Magic's toss after the ball was already in play?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
tradetheo said:
What exactly does that have to do with anything?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
To my knowledge that roll the ball down to the other end of the court thing has only been done once by the dark lord of evil. And if I remember correctly (And I probably don't) the dark lord actually stole the ball and was rolling it down to his side of the court. So it was one of those once in a life time things. One has to be truly evil to come up with something like that.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Hap said:
I've tricked myself into forgetting...wasn't Magic's toss after the ball was already in play?
Yea, I believe it was after a shot and a scramble for the ball when Magic grabbed it and rolled it.

I had the sound off because my wife was on the ph but I told her we should just throw it to the guy guarding the in bound pass, he'd probalby just look at it for a sec.

I don't see though how they fouled that fast. How much time came off the clock? The refs really help them. We could have also thrown it towards the basket for a tip in, as long as we didn't foul, if it doesn't work the time would expire.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
CelticPagan said:
There are a situation where it would be appropriate comes up quite often in basketball. Last night was a prime example.
We could have inbounded the ball and threw it down court, the clock would expire before it went out of bounds, but instead we gave the Bulls a chance at a 2/3 court shot that hit the front of the rim.
I'm pretty sure time expired before he got it off. I'd have to check to be sure but I remember seeing the board lighting up before he shot it.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
mgb said:
Yea, I believe it was after a shot and a scramble for the ball when Magic grabbed it and rolled it.

I had the sound off because my wife was on the ph but I told her we should just throw it to the guy guarding the in bound pass, he'd probalby just look at it for a sec.

I don't see though how they fouled that fast. How much time came off the clock? The refs really help them. We could have also thrown it towards the basket for a tip in, as long as we didn't foul, if it doesn't work the time would expire.
for a second, I couldn't tell if you were talking about the game against the Lakers back in 91, or last night. confused me a for a bit.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
mgb said:
Now, that would be funny.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Blazer Bert said:
Now, that would be funny.

What you wanna do is pass it urgently to the defender, then point at *your* basket screaming "Shoot it! Shoot it!" and see if he scores for you. :D

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I've always been confused by that play. Why didn't we just pick the ball back up instead of letting it roll all the way to the other end of the court? It isn't over and back if the other team sends the ball into the backcourt, right?

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
gambitnut said:
I've always been confused by that play. Why didn't we just pick the ball back up instead of letting it roll all the way to the other end of the court? It isn't over and back if the other team sends the ball into the backcourt, right?
iirc (and I might not) wasn't it down at our end of the court when he threw it down to the other end of the court (the lakers end)?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Hap said:
iirc (and I might not) wasn't it down at our end of the court when he threw it down to the other end of the court (the lakers end)?
Yeah, but it took a long time for it to get to the other end and we had plenty of time to pick it up. Why didn't we?

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
gambitnut said:
Yeah, but it took a long time for it to get to the other end and we had plenty of time to pick it up. Why didn't we?
No one was close enough to chase it down.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
gambitnut said:
As they chased it the time ran out. That was the genius in doing that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts