Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NBA commissioner David Stern has punished the Oklahoma City Thunder, ordering them to send a future draft pick to the Boston Celtics as compensation for the heart problems that Jeff Green suffered with the Celtics, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Oklahoma City will send Boston the 2013 second-round pick that it controls from Charlotte. Expected to be the worst team in the league again, Charlotte's pick will likely be the 31st overall.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--thunder-forced-to-give-up-draft-pick-to-celtics-as-compensation-for-jeff-green-s-health-issues.html

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
If this is real it would have to mean that OKC had knowledge of the heart problem and hid the information. Seems weird, though.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
If they actually knew then the trade should have been invalidated and the punishment should be a lot worse than that. Of course the C's were dumping Perkins so they didn't have to pay him and they should have figured it out on their own.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
For Stern to fine them a draft pick I have to assume that there was some knowledge on OKC's part. If it was just some freak thing that nobody caught then that's just bad luck.

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
If they actually knew then the trade should have been invalidated and the punishment should be a lot worse than that. Of course the C's were dumping Perkins so they didn't have to pay him and they should have figured it out on their own.
They don't do heart tests mid season, so Boston's medical staff saw the problem the first time they ran the test. Maybe they felt that the heart problem was one that the OKC medical staff should have picked up on? The only other reason I can see for a second rounder being the punishment is that the comissioner's office offered them the choice of that or getting Perkins back. :bsmile:

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Does anyone have an update on his condition?

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
An ESPN article makes it sound like the OKC Docs knew about the issue but never reported it do the front office. Looks like OKC might be seeking a new cardiologist to work with.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
My Edmonton Oilers did this a few years back to Ron's Los Angelas Kings.

A player on LA who used to play for the Oilers basically demanded a trade in the summer, so Edmonton sent some nobody player in return since LA didn't have much choice. When they got the player months later and gave him a physical, they found out he wasn't anywhere near healthy enough for the up coming season and Edmonton basically just said "No givesies backsies" and that was the end of it.

Glad OKC is taking the hit on this one. What are these GM's, like greasy used car salesmen? "Oh yea, Jeff Green? He's mint. No problems with that model. I'll even throw in the first 2 oil changes for free. Now what do I have to do to get you to leave with a Jeff Green today?"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts