Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏

Oklahoma City Thunder forward Serge Ibaka has reached agreement on a four-year contract extension, league sources tell Y! Sports.
‏@WojYahooNBA

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Re: Thunder, Serge Ibaka agree to 4-yr extension

Alright now Harden...you better hope that finals performance didn't make you the odd man out

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Re: Thunder, Serge Ibaka agree to 4-yr/$40M plus extension

I guess he was happy there. Someone would have definitely given him substantially more on the open market.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts

I guess he was happy there. Someone would have definitely given him substantially more on the open market.
Maybe. It doesn't get talked about much, but his Finals performance wasn't much if any better than Hardens.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts

Definitely a great deal for OKC, Ibaka is continuing to improve and he's likely going to be worth way more than this by the end of the extension.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts

Only worth it if they can also keep Harden. Lets not forget the Thunder still don't have anyone in the frontcourt that can either score on the inside or rebound at a high rate, which is what allows teams like the Heat to go small and succeed.

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts

When you consider how much guys like Asik and them got. That's a steal.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts

Only worth it if they can also keep Harden. Lets not forget the Thunder still don't have anyone in the frontcourt that can either score on the inside or rebound at a high rate, which is what allows teams like the Heat to go small and succeed.
Even if they lose Harden (which I don't think they will) this is a great deal. You wouldn't want to just lose one of your top 5 most valuable assets (potentially top 3 if we're running with the hypothetical that Harden is gone) because you lost another one of your top 5 most valuable assets. What sense does that make? He's young, talented, and now signed to a reasonable extension. Worst case he's extremely tradeable, best case his play is going to be worth way more than 10 mil a year.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts

Even if they lose Harden (which I don't think they will) this is a great deal. You wouldn't want to just lose one of your top 5 most valuable assets (potentially top 3 if we're running with the hypothetical that Harden is gone) because you lost another one of your top 5 most valuable assets. What sense does that make? He's young, talented, and now signed to a reasonable extension. Worst case he's extremely tradeable, best case his play is going to be worth way more than 10 mil a year.
My point is that if they had to choose b/w the two, they should've chosen Harden.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
so that's 60m committed into next season - and Harden will be the test of whether Clay Bennett has the stones to face the lux tax? nothing we didnt see coming but it will be interesting to see how it plays out as the season progresses

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
I was really thinking that it did not seem like his agent would allow him to sign a 10 million dollar a year deal. 12 million is about what I would have expected, although honestly Ibaka needs to improve to be worth it. Still he could have probably gotten someone to give him a fair bit more if he'd gone into free agency.

Signing this deal makes a lot of sense when you think about the fact that you might get injured next year before you could cash in.

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
This is a great deal for the Thunder, and a good deal for Ibaka. His game continues to grow each and every season, he's already a defensive monster, and I believe he will be a Garnett level type defender. He has all the speed and athleticism to hang with anyone in the league. He challenges himself, and other players regardless of the name on the back of their jersey. He's built like the terminator and he's only 22 years old. Add to the fact he's added a jump shot that is starting to become reliable. And if he continues to develop a low post game, he will exceed the expectations of this contract by leaps and bounds.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
I'd be very surprised if Harden is on the Thunder past this season. I just don't think OKC will shift their philosophy so much that they'll want to dig deep into luxury tax territory. Can they even afford to start doing that? It really wouldn't shock me to see Harden dealt in a S&T to Phoenix for something like Jared Dudley and 2 first round picks.

As for this Ibaka contract, it's a great deal for the Thunder. I think Ibaka could have gotten more if he hit the market - Dallas would have been willing to pony up some serious cash, no doubt.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
I'd be very surprised if Harden is on the Thunder past this season. I just don't think OKC will shift their philosophy so much that they'll want to dig deep into luxury tax territory. Can they even afford to start doing that? It really wouldn't shock me to see Harden dealt in a S&T to Phoenix for something like Jared Dudley and 2 first round picks.

As for this Ibaka contract, it's a great deal for the Thunder. I think Ibaka could have gotten more if he hit the market - Dallas would have been willing to pony up some serious cash, no doubt.
This is like a joke or your schtick, right? You're doing a caricature of a Sam Smith or Peter Vecsey when you inconspicuously put one of these trade proposals in every single post you make, right?

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Yup, sure.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts