Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cross-town D1 Rivals UAlbany and Siena are playing this saturday, December 3rd, at the Pepsi Arena for the Albany Cup. If anyone is in the area, it's definitely a great game to see. It consistently brings in 10,000 plus people, including last year which brought in around 12,000. Should be a good game.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not according to Pepsi Arena's website. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was 8900 last year since Siena was horrible. Either way, they still average over 10,000 a game.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UAlbany09 said:
not according to Pepsi Arena's website. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was 8900 last year since Siena was horrible. Either way, they still average over 10,000 a game.
correction, it's not Pepsi Arena's website it's UAlbany's website (albany.edu) that has last year's attendance at 12,000.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The near-12,000 spectator number is from the 2003-04 season. Statefan is correct when he says the 8,900 figure was for last season.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see, well, I think it'll draw in over 10,000 this year since there's alot of expectations and hype around UAlbany basketball.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
UAlbany09 said:
I see, well, I think it'll draw in over 10,000 this year since there's alot of expectations and hype around UAlbany basketball.
10k would be awesome. Does UA or Siena play any other games at Pepsi? Seems like a Syracuse game would fill a lot of seats, but those BCS schools will never, ever play away from home. Chicken s**ts.

·
Registered
719 Posts
In recent years, UAlbany has played at the Pepsi only when it has played Siena. There have been four games between the two schools over the last 4 years; all of the 4 games were Siena home games. The Siena men's team plays all its games at the Pepsi and has done so for many years. The only other game UAlbany has played at the Pepsi was the Syracuse game a few years ago - I think 3 seasons ago. Syracuse had so many fans at the game in the Pepsi, however, that I almost consider it a home game for the Orange. Syracuse beat Siena at the Pepsi last year.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Siena plays all there home games at the Pepsi Arena, and they bring in a decent crowd. Not anywhere near 10,000 though, especially in the last few years since Siena has been bad. But I guess when they had those years not too long ago where they won the MACC a few times and went to the tourney they brought in people. Enough to move into the Pepsi Arena which has around 15,000 capacity. Syracuse has played at the Pepsi Arena, and yes, they sell out when 'Cuse comes to town. UA only plays at the Pepsi during this rivalry game. It's going to be my first time at this annual game, I'm expecting a good atmosphere.

Siena has the history and the prestige in this area. They went D1 back in the 70's. UAlbany went D1 back in '99 or '00 and has had horrible seasons since last year. Siena pretty much owns this rivalry and the town in basketball. I'm hoping UAlbany will continue where they left off last year which is over taking Siena as the better D1 basketball program in the area.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Kid....love your enthusiasm, but settle down. Siena doesn't own anything other than the snobbery award. UA regularly smacked Siena around prior DI years just like Siena smacked us around. In the redux, Siena has only taken us out badly once. This rivarly is even....Siena doesnt believe that however.

I better hear you screaming over at the Pepsi.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, that's better then I thought. But I will be screaming at the Pepsi, probably half drunk. For those who have been to this game before, are there more Siena fans, or UAlbany fans, or is it about even?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Last year, it seems for the first time, I thought there were more UAlbany fans. I could have been misled, however, by the loud UAlbany support.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
UAlbany09 said:
For those who have been to this game before, are there more Siena fans, or UAlbany fans, or is it about even?
Probably more Siena over the last few years, but not by as many as they think. 60/40 maybe. Thought this year might be better.

Since it's a Siena home game, their season-ticket holders get most of the good seats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts