Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...otaged-oakland-raiders-super-bowl-xxxvii-loss

Brown said that when the Raiders got the game plan on the Monday before the Super Bowl, it was a run-heavy attack taking advantage of Oakland's size advantage on the offensive line. However, Brown said Callahan scrapped the plan on Friday to the shock of the team.

"We all called it sabotage ... because Callahan and Gruden were good friends. And Callahan had a big problem with the Raiders, you know, hated the Raiders. You know, only came because Gruden made him come. Literally walked off the field on us a couple of times during the season when he first got there, the first couple years."
Wow.. never thought i would hear something like this, and alot of his teammates are supporting his claim

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
There's also a lot that are saying he's delusional. I'm not buying into this.

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's also a lot that are saying he's delusional. I'm not buying into this.
Ill admit its unusual to change your gameplan that late in the week, but i agree i dont buy it either.. Bill Callahan had a once in a lifetime chance to cement himself in NFL history and set himself up for life.. i dont think he would sabotage himself over some petty shit with the raiders.. and i especially dont buy him doing gruden any favors

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Re: Brown and Rice: Callahan 'sabotaged' Raiders in SB XXXVII

Callahan “outraged” by Super Bowl allegations

Callahan released a statement Tuesday night saying he is “shocked” and “saddened” by the claims against him and vehemently denied any wrongdoing.

“There are many people who are disappointed by the outcome of Super Bowl XXXVII, but none more than me,” Callahan said in a statement. “While I fully understand a competitive professional football player’s disappointment when a game’s outcome doesn’t go his team’s way, I am shocked, saddened and outraged by Tim Brown’s allegations and Jerry Rice’s support of those allegations made through various media outlets over the last twenty-four hours.

“To leave no doubt, I categorically and unequivocally deny the sum and substance of their allegations. Like every game I ever coached on the professional or collegiate level, I endeavor to the best of my professional ability to position my team to win. To suggest otherwise, especially at this time when it involves the Super Bowl, is ludicrous and defamatory. I have always honored the spirit of competition that drives us to sport as children and, for the lucky few, sustains us in adulthood.

“Any suggestion that I would undermine the integrity of the sport that I love and dedicated my life to, or dishonor the commitment I made to our players, coaches and fans, is flat out wrong. I think it would be in the best interests of all including the game America loves that these allegations be retracted immediately. I want to extend my personal and my family’s deep appreciation to the coaches, players and fans who have come forward and thoughtfully spoken out against these ill-conceived allegations.”

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Ah, woops. Didn't see this already started. Ah, well, Callahan fired back though.

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts
especially to a pass heavy game plan, tampa's pass defense was incredible
The Raiders threw the ball a lot that year and were successful doing that, but you are right, the Bucs pass defense in 2002 was among the best in the history of football. While I find it hard to believe that a head coach would sabotage his own team in the biggest game of their lives, completely changing the gameplan sounds like a panic move.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
So putting the ball in the hands of the MVP is now sabotage? They threw the ball a ton that season.

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts
This is the guy who's going to be calling Dallas' plays next year :-/

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Seems fishy buuuut Im still going with him just being a crappy coach -- ask Nebraska fans

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Gruden (who knew the raiders back and front like no other for obvious reasons) not Callahan was responsible for the outcome of that game and if anyone sabotaged the Raid-uhs that year it was that crazy old coot Al Davis for giving chucky a reason to leave and then letting him do it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts