Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
His team is in first place....again. He's putting up great numbers....again. He's dominating on both ends of the court....again. However, before the game against Chicago a few days ago, Tony Parker was the leading scorer for the Spurs. How many times do you see the best player on the team (arguably in the league) not leading his team in scoring? The guy doesn't give a damn if he averages 10 pts or 30 as long as his team wins. I mean, he's only shooting the ball 16 times per game. He only shot the ball about 16 times per game last year. What an incredibly unselfish superstar. For that reason, I think Duncan is the easiest star to play with in the league. He could play with AI, Kobe, or TMac hogging the ball and shooting 30 times a game and he still wouldn't complain.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Pinball said:
His team is in first place....again. He's putting up great numbers....again. He's dominating on both ends of the court....again. However, before the game against Chicago a few days ago, Tony Parker was the leading scorer for the Spurs. How many times do you see the best player on the team (arguably in the league) not leading his team in scoring? The guy doesn't give a damn if he averages 10 pts or 30 as long as his team wins. I mean, he's only shooting the ball 16 times per game. He only shot the ball about 16 times per game last year. What an incredibly unselfish superstar. For that reason, I think Duncan is the easiest star to play with in the league. He could play with AI, Kobe, or TMac hogging the ball and shooting 30 times a game and he still wouldn't complain.
Jason Kidd and Steve Nash do not lead their teams in scoring. However, they are point guards.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Not having to shoot and not wanting to shoot is 2 totally different things.

there's no pressure on him anymore. He has 3 rings...legacy is what it is. So having Parker & Ginobili taking all the shots is only doing him a favor. Now he doesn't have to spend as much energy. He can roam the perimeter on offense and clog on the paint on defense.

Give every superstar in the league these circumstances and im pretty sure they would be the "consumate" teamate as well

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Yeah, I agree Pinball. He is the new school Larry Bird in the way that he realizes he doesn't have to dominate the ball, or doesn't even have to touch the ball every time down. Other superstars in the league disappear from games if they aren't getting frequent touches. Tim Duncan is truly an original.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
tone wone said:
Not having to shoot and not wanting to shoot is 2 totally different things.

there's no pressure on him anymore. He has 3 rings...legacy is what it is. So having Parker & Ginobili taking all the shots is only doing him a favor. Now he doesn't have to spend as much energy. He can roam the perimeter on offense and clog on the paint on defense.

Give every superstar in the league these circumstances and im pretty sure they would be the "consumate" teamate as well
kinda like shaq was in la.

·
Player
7,852 Posts
He is the new school Larry Bird in the way that he realizes he doesn't have to dominate the ball, or doesn't even have to touch the ball every time down.
what? you realize that larry bird made sure he knew his teammates knew to run the offense through him in 4th quarters right?

Tim Duncan is truly an original.
definitely, he lacks ego. reminds me of a mulatto robot out there.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
tone wone said:
Wrong. Incredibly wrong. They have to want these circumstances. Duncan accepts them. AI would never subjugate his game enough to take 16 shots a game. I also highly doubt Kobe or Tracy would do that either.

Duncan just wants to win and it's not about his stats.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
you have to have a certain level of security with yourself and your place in the game. you also need to have goals that don't include personal stats, which many players are incredibly aware of. heck, jordan very much cared about scoring titles.

·
Player
7,852 Posts
you have to have a certain level of security with yourself and your place in the game.
tim duncan=true zen master. catch him meditating in timeouts when the game on the line.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kflo said:
heck, jordan very much cared about scoring titles.
Expect the "come fly with me" contingent to formulate a vexing response to that statement. It's true, Jordan was a freaking ball hog. Everyone knew it. It's not that big of a deal. If I could do the things that he could do, I'd shoot 30 times a game too. It doesn't take anything away from him as a player.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts