Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hated seeing everybody piling on this guy. He is everything we have needed off the bench the past few years. An amazing character guy who can hit the big shots off the bench. We do not win the Chicago game without "Long" Juan, and we are not even in the Detroit game. Dixon is a streak shooter and he will play amazing some games, and struggle others. But he is a great character guy and we should all cheer him. So all you guys calling him "Brixson" or "shot a minute" need to give him his props.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
He deserves props ... for the last two games. Streakiness stagnates growth, rather than fostering a winning attitude. If he can put together a solid five or six-game stretch with his shooting touch (and free throw ability), cool. But if we get two great games and four horrid games, that's not something to celebrate, IMO.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
BlayZa said:
someone post his season stats
After tonight:

19.3 minutes per game, 9.8 ppg, 1.8 reb, 1 ast, 41.2 fg%, 35.7 3pt%

·
Registered
821 Posts
He still took a very ill advised three down the stretch. My biggest gripe with the guy is his judgement. He has the potential to be a really solid contributer if he can work on his shot selection.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Samuel said:
Three words: Small sample size.
Dixon is a career 8.2 ppg game scorer in 18 minutes. This year, he's getting 9.8 in 19 minutes. That's pretty close. He's shooting at about his career average. So...why is it an issue of small sample size? He's playing about as well as we should expect him to be.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Fork said:
Dixon is a career 8.2 ppg game scorer in 18 minutes. This year, he's getting 9.8 in 19 minutes. That's pretty close. He's shooting at about his career average. So...why is it an issue of small sample size? He's playing about as well as we should expect him to be.
Doug Collins, the guy whose seen him for the largest 'size' so far, considers him a 'streaky' shooter. DC folks will agree with that sentiment.
And to clarify, I wasn't responding to your post, I was responding to furballs', who was citing a two game stretch as a reason for Dixon-haters to eat crow.

I think he's a solid player, but I'm still pretty skeptical as to whether he can step in and hit shots in short stints. In the meantime, I think that Monia's size gives us more options at starting SG.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Verro said:
He still took a very ill advised three down the stretch. My biggest gripe with the guy is his judgement. He has the potential to be a really solid contributer if he can work on his shot selection.
What he said.

Tonight he kept his solo act under control a lot better than in any of the other games. He took only 12 shots in 31:30 minutes. That's much more like it. Without looking it up, I'd bet that is the fewest shots/minute in any game he's played here. He had a few lapses (with his shot selection), but overall tonight he played the way he needs to play.

·
Registered
922 Posts
[strike]Some of you are complete idiots[/strike]. Dixon is doing everything we have asked him to. He had two bad games and 3 good ones. That is about all we can expect from a bench guy. Name a player who was available in the off season who has played better. He is only getting about 2 mill per. What do you expect? Would you rather have "brick" Anderson: "brick" Stodamire ?

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
furball said:
Some of you are complete idiots.
That's great, now we just have to concentrate on helping the rest finish up.
I'm sure if we keep reading this board we'll all be there pretty soon.

barfo

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
furball said:
Some of you are complete idiots. Dixon is doing everything we have asked him to. He had two bad games and 3 good ones. That is about all we can expect from a bench guy. Name a player who was available in the off season who has played better. He is only getting about 2 mill per. What do you expect? Would you rather have "brick" Anderson: "brick" Stodamire ?
I'd like Juan to play like he did tonight. I haven't changed, he did. The only thing I was unhappy about was him launching up the ball every time it touched his hands. Oh, and that those bad shots were mostly misses. He seems to have settled down and realized basketball is played with 5 guys on a team. I'm sure part of his role will be as our 'microwave', but he still needs to do it within the offense.

Kudos to Dixon for hitting like 6 straight shots late in the Detroit game, followed by a good game tonight. I hope he continues to settle into his role with the Blazers. Because I want all our players to help the team win.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
barfo said:

barfo
Excellent.

Also, as Fork noted, Dixon has been pretty much what he's always been, maybe slightly better in very few games. The great bursts are interingled with 6 misses in 7 minutes.

Streaky players are great sometimes, horrific at other times. How good the player is comes out in the wash, and Dixon has hardly set the court afire with his average stat line this season.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
barfo said:

barfo
:clap:

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
If he went from around 8 ppg to 10, he has imnproved. 2 points does not sound like a lot but for a bench guy with limited minutes it's significant. Can make the difference between winning & losing. He did take an ill advised shot but he hit his free throws, something I wish other guys would emulate.

·
Registered
910 Posts
wow, dixon had a good game. what about the other 5 games before this. and what about that horrible shot he put up that almost cost us the game? don't know if you remember that or not, but it was totally a bad shot at the wrong time.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
furball said:
Some of you are complete idiots.
Always a sure way to make sure people listen to your arguement. No wait, it makes people tune you out. My bad.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts