Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think?

He is so freakishly challenged offensively with no visible upside. Time to dump him while he has some trade value. Can we even trade him this year contract-wise?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Paxon is also a Krause pick-up.

A similar fate for him?
He looks less then stellar over the first seven games as well....

·
Train Em While Young.....
3,628 Posts
Oh I wish I wish we hadn't traded that Brand.

·
Registered
68 Posts
lgtwins said:
What do you think?

He is so freakishly challenged offensively with no visible upside. Time to dump him while he has some trade value. Can we even trade him this year contract-wise?
Please stop.

Kirk was horrendous to start the season last year. Did you want to trade him then?

Before you make ridiculous suggestions, try and think a little bit.

Tyson is adjusting to a new role here. Yes, he free lances on D a bit too much, but he'll learn not to do that so much as the season wears on.

Give it some freakin time. We've (well, I've, judging by your reaction it's tough for me to make the following assumption about you) slaved through 6 years of horrible basketball. A few bad games aren't enough to jump to idiotic conclusions.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Tyson has struggled at the center position. We can do one or two things:

1. Give him time. Remember a couple of seasons ago? He had a terrible season. Last year he came back and was solid, but that was at the pf spot. Is he a center? Juding by the first 7 games, no.

2. If he isnt a center, then we get a real center. Reason being is, if Chandler is not a center then this team is playing without a true center. I am not for trading Chandler. Just get us a center, bring tyson off of the bench, similar to his role last year. Start Sweetney.

·
Train Em While Young.....
3,628 Posts
n/m

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
kukoc4ever said:
How on earth can Chandler go 6 straight games without a blocked shot?
Really good question. It may have to do with him having to D up a 5 and not be able to help as much, get weakside blocks etc...

Still, 7 games is way too soon to make a judgement about Chandler's future with the team. We've invested 4 years of development. Let's not let a slightly sub par 7 game stretch jade our view of the guy...

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
After watching a few games, I'm pretty sure Tyson's more or less the same player he was for us last year. But rather, his responsibilities have changed defensively with the exodus of Eddy and AD.

Now that he's playing the 5, and doesn't have the benefit of playing with anyone who can body up the bigger guys down low, he seems to be struggling a bit. From here, there are probably two possible scenarios that are likely to play out:

1). He's simply in an adjustment period, and is getting used to his new role on the team.

2). We're finding out firsthand a shortcoming in his game, and hence, and Tyson will never be able to anchor a defense the way someone like Tim Duncan, Shaq, or Ben Wallace can.

Truthfully, I think it's probably a little bit of both, but in the long run, I think we're probably best off if we can acquire another legit big body who can provide a rough n' tumble inside presence, and take on the bigger, stronger 4/5 of the opposing team. Because right now, it looks like Tyson is being forced to do something he's not entirely good at, and in the process, we're taking away what he does best. This may get better throughout the season, but at this point, it's pretty damn hard to tell.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Future said:
Don't we all, especially with Brand looking like an early MVP candidate this year. He is a lot better than Chandler and I can't believe people try to argue this. However, that's way in the past and I think Chandler is a good player. He just hasn't found his rhythm yet on the court. I'd give him some more time before we demand trade.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Tyson's going to be very difficult to trade if we wanted to. We signed him to a BIG contract, and he's not yet living up to it.

Strangely, I'm not too worried. I just want to see Tyson rebound the ball a little better. I'm not as worried about the lack of blocked shots either. It's obvious to me that Tyson is making a concerted effort to stay on the court longer as his role has increased, which means he's jumping in the air less, and therefore he's rebounding and blocking less than we expect him to. He's being conservative, but he'll come out of it. Tyson averaged almost 10 rebounds per last season in somewhat limited minutes. If he ever ups that figure to 12 per game, he'll be an elite level rebounder. That's a top flight skill. The defense and the rebounds will come back. And on offense, I can't believe I'm saying this, but he looks even slightly better this year. There have been a few confident cuts with the ball to the hoop and a few nice looking jumpers. The lesser number of garbage points is a bit of a concern.

Long term, I'd rather see Tyson at center. A lot of centers in this league are offensively challenged, but give me a power forward who plays 30 plus minutes a game and scores 7 points per and I say we've got a problem.

Look at how much production we got out of Sweets tonight. This team battled hard tonight, and I'm not sure the two of them can't be a very productive frontcourt as time moves on.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
rosenthall said:
After watching a few games, I'm pretty sure Tyson's more or less the same player he was for us last year. But rather, his responsibilities have changed defensively with the exodus of Eddy and AD.

Now that he's playing the 5, and doesn't have the benefit of playing with anyone who can body up the bigger guys down low, he seems to be struggling a bit. From here, there are probably two possible scenarios that are likely to play out:

1). He's simply in an adjustment period, and is getting used to his new role on the team.

2). We're finding out firsthand a shortcoming in his game, and hence, and Tyson will never be able to anchor a defense the way someone like Tim Duncan, Shaq, or Ben Wallace can.

Truthfully, I think it's probably a little bit of both, but in the long run, I think we're probably best off if we can acquire another legit big body who can provide a rough n' tumble inside presence, and take on the bigger, stronger 4/5 of the opposing team. Because right now, it looks like Tyson is being forced to do something he's not entirely good at, and in the process, we're taking away what he does best. This may get better throughout the season, but at this point, it's pretty damn hard to tell.
This is just about a perfect synopsis of the situation IMO. The Curry issue is a dead horse that I'm not about to begin flogging, but Paxson dealing AD and Eddy and forcing our 60 million dollar man into a role he hasn't played was somewhat foolhardy. We need another big body, Tyson isn't doing what he does best right now (guard the 4, and freelance around the rim). In the meantime ScottMay is right - we ought to play Sweetney at the 5.

I'm willing to take the leap of faith that AD had to be moved with Eddy because of Paxsons' moral obligation, but the fact that the whole episode occured at the very end of free agency right before camp really hamstrung our ability to address the lack of size we have inside. And frankly, it's part of a distrubing trend on the part of the Paxdorf front office toward contentious last minute negotiations that leave a sour taste in the mouths of all parties concerned. Color me wary.

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
3,012 Posts
Naaahh... you'll love him. Just like at the end of last season. He's not the main reason we're in this situation. Lots of teams are lining for his service. Maybe not his contract, but a lot of teams are one Tyson Chandler away from becoming a championship team.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
rosenthall said:

Heh, I'm absolutely shocked that we're finding this out. :)

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Future said:
Only makes sense to go the Twin Towers route if you are going to stay the course.

I think it would be a good idea to move Chandler back to the 4 and start Sweetney at the 5 as well. Let Chandler play his old role. It might even be worth using Chandler off the bench again and starting Noc, Deng and Sweetney. We'll concede the jump ball every night... but who cares about that?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts