Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the Raptors have dropped to 7th place in the conference. The Knicks are surging since the Marbury trade. Although the 76ers are playing awful right now, they have the talent to turn it around, and they are only two games behind the Raptors. If those two teams pass us we miss the playoffs. It is not looking good right now.

A month ago I was thinking about home court advantage in the playoffs. Now even being in them is in question.

:upset:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Vince Carter gotta step up!

we gotta stop makin excues for him. constant 4-12FG performance is hurting this team. Hes gotta stop forcing passes, settling for jumpers and shot selection is a concern.

Kevin Oneal needs to get a clue, he needs to try something different, its obvious we have trouble on the offensive end.

I'm gettin very worried bout this team, New York is creepin up slowly, and Boston is too.

·
Registered
359 Posts
In case you didn't notice Vince is injured again. And im not talking about an AI type injury(thumb, shoulder) that you can play through and still be very effective. Vince's injury actually effects what he can and can't do on the court.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
KO's getting a LOT out of this squad, let's get that out of the way first off. We're playing great D despite being severely undersized and that says a lot. We're also playing disciplined offense that gives us the chance to win games against more talented teams.

We're a "playoff team" but we're far from guaranteed a spot. I said from the very beginning that it's going to be an out and out battle for playoff position, and that goes for both conferences.

VC is the heart of our offense, when he's playing, we're winning more games than we're losing. Consider ourselves lucky that Vince is back so soon and quit whining that he needs to be taking over games.

Bottom line, our team is in good shape. VC is one of the best players in the league and we're going to have an allstar big man to play with him. If we make the playoffs we can challenge for a few rounds and that's great. Like i said already, we are a playoff team and we play playoff basketball all season long. We should be nice and healthy and should pick up another rotation player before playoffs. If we somehow really struggle (ie VC misses extended games) then we keep our lottery pick and we move on as one of the toughest teams in the east.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Originally posted by <b>macro6</b>!
Vince Carter gotta step up!

we gotta stop makin excues for him. constant 4-12FG performance is hurting this team. Hes gotta stop forcing passes, settling for jumpers and shot selection is a concern.

Kevin Oneal needs to get a clue, he needs to try something different, its obvious we have trouble on the offensive end.

I'm gettin very worried bout this team, New York is creepin up slowly, and Boston is too.
a week ago you were praising the return of vince carter. now you release what we're talking about when he comes back.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
I don't think it's time to panic, as we're still a playoff team right now in the crappy East. But it's certainly time to be pissed off. Vince Carter's been playing more and more like crap since the beginning of the season, or at least since the trade. This team should have the 4th-best record in the east, NOT the 7th and we clearly have the talent to be much better than 20-21.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Let's say we beat Chicago, or go 3-1 in our next four games. That'll put us back at .500 with half the season still to go. That's not a bad situation to be in, really, especially in the East.

It's certainly not time to panic, to blow-up the team, or whatever. It's just time to focus.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Originally posted by <b>speedythief</b>!
Let's say we beat Chicago, or go 3-1 in our next four games. That'll put us back at .500 with half the season still to go. That's not a bad situation to be in, really, especially in the East.

It's certainly not time to panic, to blow-up the team, or whatever. It's just time to focus.
My Concern is this - what do you do to make this team better?

Bosh and Marshal are good fwds.

Mo Pete, Vince., Rose are all capable scorers (collectively above average).

KO is a good coach - so now what?

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
maybe it's time to start considering potential trade possibilities for vince carter. this team is stuck in no man's land, i think, and i'm constantly trying to find excuses for VC's all-talk, no-results level of play. i mentioned earlier this year that i think vince has pretty much had enough of the nba- i think his mind is drained and i don't think he was ever cut out to thrive in the position he currently finds himself. i think it would require an nba finals appearance in order to see vince carter playing anywhere near his potential again. it's not his fault, but i don't think he has what it takes "upstairs" to be a long-term success in this league, although not many players do.

i see this team with some significant, ingrained issues, and i don't think the best coach in the league could ever resolve them. there's a chance that we're beyond the point of no return already, and while i certainly see us in the playoffs, i don't foresee us enjoying much success upon getting there. our salary cap situation is also a poor man's version of new york's, getting worse by the day, and we may soon enough find ourselves struggling to stay afloat in many ways. vince carter looks drained/puzzled/sick now; i can't even imagine what he'd look like then.

too much negative energy. too many years of underachievement. too many excuses. maybe fundamental, drastic change is the only option left for this team. but even then, i don't know what vince carter would command on the trade market anymore. we probably couldn't return more than a couple of starters and a draftpick- if that. his value in this league has plummeted, and while i think his perception of being oft-injured is greatly exaggerated, i think teams still wouldn't exactly mortgage the house to get him for just that reason.

it's starting to look like chris bosh is the only hope for the future. hopefully he develops the way we need him to, but if he doesn't, i don't have to be the one to say that we'll find ourselves in dire straits.

we may already be drowning in them.

peace

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Originally posted by <b>charlz</b>!

My Concern is this - what do you do to make this team better?

Bosh and Marshal are good fwds.

Mo Pete, Vince., Rose are all capable scorers (collectively above average).

KO is a good coach - so now what?
That's great. Now communicate on the floor, and react smart to what the opposition is going to do. Now that's a championship team.

·
Registered
108 Posts
They won't make the playoffs. They should tank the rest of the games and try to get as many ping-pong balls to grab Okefor or some big body.

Even if they make the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed, they're going out in the first round anyways.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
Originally posted by <b>djmyte</b>!

Vince is injured. No one will want to trade for him, unless they can get him for basically nothing.
he's already back in the lineup and has a ton of trade value.

as for the playoffs, i'm fairly indifferent. battling to a playoff position will be a good sign for this team, regardless of whether we advance, getting back into the playoffs is always a positive.

if we miss the playoffs, we get to keep our lottery pick and may end up with a contributor, delaying our pick given up to cleveland. we could use depth at any position, so have plenty of options. with another stud (iguodala would be nice) and Bosh, we'd be looking very good headed into next year.

if VC is healthy for the rest of the season, we should make playoffs. if any of our big guns go down, boston, NYC, and phili may easily surpass us.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've been thinking that they should trade Vince for a while now. He lacks the killer instinct to win a championship for this team and now with Bosh's emergance, I think he should be the new franchise player. He should be the foundation of the future. With Vince I'm sure we can get some young talent in return for an all-star.

My dream trade with Vince would be with the Clippers.
Vince and a 2nd rounder for Maggette and Kaman

Rose
Maggette
Kaman
Marshall
Bosh

Thats a scary lineup with Alvin as a 6th man.

On the other hand, Clippers get their superstar for marketing purposes. The All-Star leading vote getter in LA is just what the doctor ordered. With this, they have their star in Vince and could spend their cap money on Qrich and another player.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Originally posted by <b>derzo</b>!
I've been thinking that they should trade Vince for a while now. He lacks the killer instinct to win a championship for this team and now with Bosh's emergance, I think he should be the new franchise player. He should be the foundation of the future. With Vince I'm sure we can get some young talent in return for an all-star.

My dream trade with Vince would be with the Clippers.
Vince and a 2nd rounder for Maggette and Kaman

Rose
Maggette
Kaman
Marshall
Bosh

Thats a scary lineup with Alvin as a 6th man.

On the other hand, Clippers get their superstar for marketing purposes. The All-Star leading vote getter in LA is just what the doctor ordered. With this, they have their star in Vince and could spend their cap money on Qrich and another player.
Pffffffffft. When the Raptors make the playoffs, and when Vince dominates the playoffs, all of you users who made a proposed trade involving Vince should never post on this forum again.

Deal? Deal.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I love Vince as much as the next Raptor fan but the way things have been going so far, I've been really disapointed with what this team has done. As for me being a fan, I'm a Raptors fan before a Vince fan and if Vince dominates the playoffs thats great. Just remembering the pre-season stat lines that posters were putting up for Vince, hes pretty damn far off of the average 27ppg, 6apg, 5rpg guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts