Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Feel the Rush!
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We still aren't sure whether or not Tinsley will be available for the first round of the playoffs. Assuming the he his, who will Carlisle ask to start at the PG position?

AJ has led this team to a very respectable record in Tinsley's absense and really has done a superb job at running our rearranged offense. I personally want to see AJ at least start for the first round of the playoffs and have Tinsley come off the bench. Tinsley is probably not in the best shape due to his foot injury, and he hasn't really seen any court time since the end of january. I think the answer is simple, and I think Carlisle will look to AJ to lead us at least through the first round of the playoffs.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
No doubt Tinsley, injured or not. He's a great PG to have on our team and runs our offense much better (note how we can only run motion with AJ running the point because he can't run real plays). Did anyone watch the Detroit game and how they pressed and trapped AJ the entire first quarter? If we face anyone that gives any bit of effort defensively than AJ will constantly commit turnovers.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
If Tinsley is 90% or above, I want him out there. Put AJ in if we can't getting a shooting groove going. If Tinsley is less than that, then play AJ and put Tinsley in if they start pressing.

·
Feel the Rush!
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I respect the opinion of everybody on this board, but the way I see it, we have been on this monster run with AJ running the point....might as well let this run it's course as long as it can. So if we enter the playoffs still winning the way we are, I don't see how we couldn't keep AJ out there. But honestly, I don't even think we are going to see Tinsley out there for the playoffs, because I think he's going to be done til next season.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
StephenJackson said:
Well I respect the opinion of everybody on this board, but the way I see it, we have been on this monster run with AJ running the point....might as well let this run it's course as long as it can. So if we enter the playoffs still winning the way we are, I don't see how we couldn't keep AJ out there. But honestly, I don't even think we are going to see Tinsley out there for the playoffs, because I think he's going to be done til next season.
I can see what you're thinking, but I don't think it's been AJ himself causing us to win. The motion we've been running is very effictive with our many talented 3-point shooters. AJ is probably the 3rd option most of the time on the floor, so since Jax, Reggie, or Freddie are distracting others, all AJ needs to look good is to hit a wide open jumper. Look at our schedule during the winning streak. We've had two day resting periods twice, one day resting twice, and only one back-to-back game. Also, we haven't played any western teams. Tinsley would be much better for us than AJ. He's a better shooter, dribbler, passer, playmaker, better at isolation, fastbreaks and everything else on offense except for maybe mid-range jumpers. On defense, AJ has a huge edge on man-to-man, which is why I would probably give him 20 mpg during the playoffs, even having him play alongside Tinsley at the shooting guard at times. Tinsley is better at stealing which leads to fastbreaks, so as long as he's not playing Jason Kidd, Allen Iverson, or Gilbert Arenas, he should be all right. With the kind of team we have now, we need to focus more on fastbreaking than halfcourt. When Jermaine O'Neal returns, I don't want everyone standing around again, waiting for him to score. If we can have constant movement, Tinsley will be able to find Jermaine under the basket easily, whereas AJ wouldn't even be given the ball. Our best way to get others involved is to fastbreak, which Tinsley, Gill, Jax, and Freddie can all do well. I might have typed all this for nothing, because I'm starting to doubt Tinsley returning this year. With Anthony Johnson, I think we could make it past the Bulls, but I doubt we could beat Detroit or Miami (even though we are 3-0 against Miami, they'll be giving 100% during the playoffs) which should be our main goal this year.

·
King George
11,475 Posts
I still prefer Tinsley over AJ. AJ has proved that he is a good backup PG, but I don't trust him as much as Tinsley under pressure. AJ will still be getting good minutes even if Tinsley does come back for the playoffs, we don't want Tinsley to aggrivate his foot again.

·
Registered
885 Posts
StephenJackson said:
i agree with this completely. aj has been playing great. plus, i am becoming very skeptical about tinsleys status for the rest of this year. since he hasn't been playing any significant time for quite a while now, there is now way he is in any kind of game shape (especialy playoffs). i suspect his season may be over. this injury has been very strange and i have seen nothing of the sort to show me he is ready to go again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts