Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Tired of this MVP Talk?

2K views 57 replies 25 participants last post by  socco 
#1 ·
Good article on the MVP race. Link
This yr there really isn't a clear cut MVP. Last yr most people knew it was gonna be Nash from all the recognition he was getting. There's so many good candidates this yr.

From all the conversations I've had on the MVP subject -- and, trust me, I've had five for every comment I've made on air or online -- MVP has a variety of meanings. For some, it's MEP, or the league's Most Excellent Player. For others, it's MVPOAWT, or Most Valuable Player on a Winning Team. Here's a popular one: MSIPOATTWBTE or Most Statistically Impressive Player on a Team That Was Better Than Expected. Generally, the easiest and safest pick is MVPOTBT: Most Valuable Player on the Best Team. This year has brought a new one to the mix: MDPDTSOATTFS, or Most Dominant Player Down the Stretch on a Team that Finished Strong. And, finally, there's MIP, or Most Indispensable Player, as in the guy whose team would absolutely fall apart without him.

MEP --Kobe Bryant.

MVPOAWT -- Dwyane Wade.

MSIPOATTWBTE -- Elton Brand.

MVPOTBT -- Chauncey Billups.

MDPDTSOATTFS -- LeBron James.

MIP -- Steve Nash.

#2 ·
Ric Bucher is terrible: he's a sports writer who tired of talking about the MVP? Probably should find a different profession frankly.

And some his picks for his categories are ludicrous:

How is Nash more indispensable to his team then Kobe, Lebron, or Dirk? Hell Dirk's team has done better w/o the most indispensable player.

How does Brand win the stats section? Kobe, Lebron, Wade, and Dirk each have better statistics.

I don't like being unnecessarily harsh but Bucher is an idiot. I can't believe they got rid of guys like D. Aldridge to keep smucks like him around who apparently don't like talking basketball

#3 ·
Pioneer10 said:
Ric Bucher is terrible: he's a sports writer who tired of talking about the MVP? Probably should find a different profession frankly.

And some his picks for his categories are ludicrous:

How is Nash more indispensable to his team then Kobe, Lebron, or Dirk? Hell Dirk's team has done better w/o the most indispensable player.

How does Brand win the stats section? Kobe, Lebron, Wade, and Dirk each have better statistics.

I don't like being unnecessarily harsh but Bucher is an idiot. I can't believe they got rid of guys like D. Aldridge to keep smucks like him around who apparently don't like talking basketball
i dont think any of those players u mentioned average a double double like brand. in fact all of those u just mentioned have one thing in common whcih is they score more than him. that's pretty much how they're better than him statistically. so no.

#4 ·
Most Entertaining Player --Kobe Bryant.

Most Valuable Player On A Winning Team -- Dwyane Wade.

Most Special Important Player On A Team That WBTE -- Elton Brand.

Most Valuable PlayerOn The Best Team -- Chauncey Billups.

Most DPDTSOATTFS -- LeBron James.

Most Important Player -- Steve Nash.

plz help me unscramble

#5 ·
clips_r_teh_wieners said:
i dont think any of those players u mentioned average a double double like brand. in fact all of those u just mentioned have one thing in common whcih is they score more than him. that's pretty much how they're better than him statistically. so no.
They are not only better scorers they also are better passers then Brand: look at best indicator of overall offensive impact: PER, PER differential, and Roland Ratings. Brand trails the other players

#8 ·
Eh, I dunno. It is a pretty crappy year for the MVP, probably the worst ever, but at the same time it makes the race more interesting because there's a bunch of guys who could win it.

#11 ·
rocketeer said:
worst ever?

please tell me you are joking.
I assume you're the one joking. Dirk Nowitzki? Steve Nash? Not exactly on par with Duncan, Shaq, Malone, Jordan, etc. There's some young guys in the mix, but they're certainly not on that level either, at least not yet.

#13 ·
socco said:
I assume you're the one joking. Dirk Nowitzki? Steve Nash? Not exactly on par with Duncan, Shaq, Malone, Jordan, etc. There's some young guys in the mix, but they're certainly not on that level either, at least not yet.
sure duncan, kg, and shaq have been down, but just look at kobe and lebron. iverson won an mvp but this is the best year of his career statistically. nash won last year and he's better this year. then you have dirk putting up big numbers on a top 3 team.

the only thing that makes this year different is that the best players aren't the guys on the best teams. that doesn't make it a down year for the mvp.

#15 ·
The only reason it's hard is because guys like Ric Bucher and his ilk are ****ING RETARDED.

If these idiots weren't so deadset on just picking the best player on the best team, they'd have this race narrowed down to Kobe and Lebron, which is what every non-dallas NBA fan knows it should be. Both Kobe and Lebron have led so-so to bad teams to the playoffs, and both have done so putting up historic numbers in the process. If the media had more than five braincells it would realize this, and do their ****ing job.

NBA reporters are the dumbest ****s in the whole sex industry that is sports writing. I swear most of these guys don't watch even 30 percent of the games. Baseball has more teams and the season is twice as long, but those guys at least make an attempt to know.

I mean, we have an ESPN guy dismissing Lebron James because he puts his numbers up on pure talent, and doesn't have the "Mental game" down yet. I'm sorry, but that's on some racist bull****. The ol' ****** isn't smart enough to understand the game, he just runs faster and jumps higher to get his. THAT IS ****ING BULL****. And this is from a guy that you have to PAY ESPN to hear so-called "expert" analysis from?

And then another so-called expert, says Lebron can't be MVP because he passed up the final shot against New York to the open hughes. Well Lebron makes the game winner against Charlotte--And he doesn't retract the statement!?

And then the third in the triumverate blasted Lebron when the team was on the losing streak after the as break, and said he couldn't be an mvp without winning 50 games. Well guess ****ing what. . . he's knocking on that door. And now you ain't saying ****!?

The only reason the MVP talk is tired is because it's not being a debate on Kobe vs. Lebron. Two best players in the league with playoff teams to boot putting up once in a lifetime numbers. Dude put up ****ing 81 points.

Chauncy Billups should not ****ing be in that discussion. Dwayne Wade should not be in that ****ing discussion. Steve Nash shouldn't be in that ****ing discussion. Dirk should be a darkhorse in the conversation, as he is the 3rd best player of the year. But the arguement should be Kobe vs. Lebron. Instead the idiots in the media have pushed both player to the periphery of the debate. I've heard so many guys not even mention one or both guys in their top 5. THEIR TOP 5?!

****ing TONY PARKER GOT A ****ING MENTION AND NEITHER LEBRON NOR KOBE DID!?

AAGGHHHHHH!!!!!! ANGRY WORDS!!!

Seriously. The media in this country can eat a dick.

#16 ·
SPMJ said:
LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Dirk and Nash are having such mediocre seasons. What a horrible MVP year :rolleyes:
No, they're not having mediocre seasons, they're mediocre players.

I would hope that at least one person understands what I mean by that, but of course I know nobody will (and I know despite my explanation that some fool will go off on that statement). Dirk and Nash are not hall of famers, LeBron and Wade either at this point, Kobe's not a MVP candidate. None of those guys are historically great. They're mediocre relative to most MVPs. Sure there's depth to this year's MVP race, and that's what makes it fun. But I don't think any of those guys are having MVP seasons.

#17 ·
socco said:

I would hope that at least one person understands what I mean by that, but of course I know nobody will (and I know despite my explanation that some fool will go off on that statement). Dirk and Nash are not hall of famers, LeBron and Wade either at this point, Kobe's not a MVP candidate. None of those guys are historically great. They're mediocre relative to most MVPs. Sure there's depth to this year's MVP race, and that's what makes it fun. But I don't think any of those guys are having MVP seasons.
Lebron is having a season that only Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, and Michael Jordan were able to have.
Kobe scored 81 in a game. They have both had hall of fame seasons. MVP seasons. Lebron's team is going to have 50 wins.

#18 ·
socco said:

I hope KG's MVP season is looked at the same then

#19 ·
socco said:
was michael jordan a hall of famer when he won his first mvp in the 87/88 season?

and no there really isn't depth to this year's mvp race. it's a two man race. kobe and lebron. other guys are having great years and maybe would have a shot at the mvp in other years, but not this one with the way kobe and lebron are playing.

#23 ·
futuristxen said:
Lebron is having a season that only Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, and Michael Jordan were able to have.
Kobe scored 81 in a game. They have both had hall of fame seasons. MVP seasons. Lebron's team is going to have 50 wins.
I disagree on LeBron, and obviously with Kobe. One game means nothing.

BEEZ said:
I hope KG's MVP season is looked at the same then
If only it were the same.

rocketeer said:
was michael jordan a hall of famer when he won his first mvp in the 87/88 season?

and no there really isn't depth to this year's mvp race. it's a two man race. kobe and lebron. other guys are having great years and maybe would have a shot at the mvp in other years, but not this one with the way kobe and lebron are playing.
No. Did I say that was one of the best seasons for the MVP ever? Kobe's not in the MVP discussion imo. LeBron's been playing well though.

#26 ·
The MAMBA said:
Don't get pissed yall... socco's just mad that his "superstar", KG, couldn't lead his team to a .500 record.
Oh of course. It's nice to see it get a couple posts into the discussion before it turns into who is saying it rather than what they're saying. But you have a point, I'm wrong because my favorite team didn't play well this season, I shall walk away and hold my head down in shame. Silly me for having an opinion on something when my favorite team isn't playing well, silly ol' me. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.