Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...he has excellent ball handling skills, can drain a shot from virtually any spot on the court (with hand in his face) has great court vision and good floor leader. With his performance in the Syracuse upset (35' three pointer) and his shootout in the Mich St loss, I think he def will get invited to the NBA camps.. maybe sign as a free agent?? Thoughts???

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I hate to be the killjoy, because I love the fact that he is a good basketball player, but I don't see him ever making it in the NBA, even as the last guy on the bench. He doesn't have the size, speed, or hops to even be in the top 100 draft prospects. Plus, he has had most of the pressure taken off of him because of Coppenwrath being the focus of opposing team's defensive plans. I love watching him, but no, he's not a NBA prospect.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You'd like to think he'd at least make it into someone's training camp since the guard play in the NBA nowadays is cover-your-eyes bad. That being said, NBA scouts are terrible about letting productive college guards slip through the cracks (whatever happened to Ed Cota?). I'd be shocked if he got drafted but I wouldn't be suprised to see him turn up on the end of someone's bench.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both Taylor and TJ have a shot at the NBA. Taylor will get drafted and TJ sign as free agent.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
GoCats2001 said:
Both Taylor and TJ have a shot at the NBA. Taylor will get drafted and TJ sign as free agent.
I don't think it's a lock for him to get drafted.

I mean is he going to be anymore than Matt Freije?

When you go to Portsmouth and don't even stand out (especially considering the pub he's been getting all year), that's a bad sign, and Portsmouth is garbage, he should have been ballin there.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think Sorrentine will make it into the NBA.

I don't think he'll play, but he'll make it.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
I can see Sorrentine having a Bryce Drew or Tony Bennett type NBA career, but I dont see him being the type of player that will stick around that long....

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
arenas809 said:
I don't think it's a lock for him to get drafted.

I mean is he going to be anymore than Matt Freije?

When you go to Portsmouth and don't even stand out (especially considering the pub he's been getting all year), that's a bad sign, and Portsmouth is garbage, he should have been ballin there.
Coppenrath was all-tourney at Portsmouth, he averaged something like 17ppg and 9rpg...that seems like standing out to me. The guy has great positioning and can grab offensive boards, some team should draft him to be someone deep on the bench, he would be a great 10-11th man on any team.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Neither guy will amount to a hill of beans in the NBA. Cup of coffee in the NBA at best.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
GoCats2001 said:
Whatever that means?!
Make a team as an 11th-12th man one or two years and then suddenly re-surface on the college level as an assistant coach. Sorry, if you've never been associated with the league before these two came along.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
People put way too much stock in Portsmouth.

I mean, hell, Tony Bobbitt was MVP of the tournament last year, and what has that gotten him?

Ok he's on the second best team in Los Angeles, but you can get up right now, go to your fridge, eat something while standing there, go brush your teeth, and floss, and come back to your computer, and that amount of you time you just spent would be equal to the amount of minutes Mr. Bobbitt has spent on an NBA floor this season.

6 minutes.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HKF said:
Make a team as an 11th-12th man one or two years and then suddenly re-surface on the college level as an assistant coach. Sorry, if you've never been associated with the league before these two came along.
No I know what you mean man. For Sorrentine, I agree he could make 11th or 12th man. As for TC, he will get drafted.

Following is from a post in America East (I posted earlier tonight):

-------
Just got back from the Jordan Classic--some good talent there (see roster in previous post link).

I actually was speaking with a scout for the Bucks. We were chatting for most of the whole night, as he was there noting the talent at the game.

He happens to love Coppenrath and Sorrentine (yes, he was at Portsmouth, and will be in Chicago, and has been a scout for over 10 years as well as a college coach). He thinks Coppenrath will get snatched up by a "lucky" team in the second round, as he has "all the skills NBA teams want in a player." I then asked him if the Bucks would use their 2nd round pick for TC, he answered (smiling), "Maybe."

As for Sorrentine, the scout "loves the kid's personality, enthusiasm and knowledge/skills for the game" of basketball. When asked if he thinks TJ is "NBA material," he hesitated and said "he very well could be. It's hard to say because hes kinda small and not the as fast as you need to be for the NBA." At any rate he had nothing but good things to say about UVM, TB, TC, TJ and the Basketball program on a whole. Also said he is friends with Lonergan and thinks he will be a good coach for UVM.
----------

·
Say Cheese
3,842 Posts
I don't want Coppenwrath, I really don't think he will be anything. I would rather get someone like Andray Blachte or Lawrence Roberts, who are both projected to be 2nd round picks.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Even if Sorrentine doesnt get a shot at the NBA, seems like the Italian scouts are into him (from basketground.it):

Come outsider metterei il sosia di Iuzzolino da Vermont, T.J.Sorrentine: un polpaccio alla Nela, un tiro ed una intelligenza cestistica che mi hanno ricordato il buon Mike, che mi ha fatto vincere una Korac a Verona.

Roughly translated: TJ Sorrentine of Vermont showed great court intelligence and fancy shooting. This is why we nicknamed him 'Tiny Michael Jordan.' TmJ for Short.

-Coop

1 - 17 of 17 Posts