Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I was talking with some Kings fans and they actualy think that if Hedo was traded to a team like the Griz, he would put up TMac like numbers. What do you guys think? Personally I think its a joke. I mean come on.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Originally posted by <b>R-Star</b>!
Ok, I was talking with some Kings fans and they actualy think that if Hedo was traded to a team like the Griz, he would put up TMac like numbers. What do you guys think? Personally I think its a joke. I mean come on.
Hedo simply put is a solid player, not great just solid, sure he might put up slightly better numbers if he was traded to a team not as good as the kings, but he would still just be a solid player.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
it is possible

They are both similiar players, similiar skills. Both can post, shoot from the parameter, drive, pass, defend.

I can't think of any player who comes close to T-Mac in skills/height.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Turk has been in the NBA 3 years

Whereas T-Mac is going on his 6. Turk is taller at 6'10", better passer and dribble. T-Mac is a better shooter and explosive under the basket.

Turk is a good defender, T-Mac is a great defender.

Turk has lots of upside and is still trying to find a position. He can play four positions.

Would be great of Turk was with the Grizz though.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
I think he could put up around 16 points, 8 rebounds, and 4 assists.

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Turkugly would not put up anywhere NEAR T-mac numbers on the Grizz. Memphis is supremely talented, but they have a bonehead running the show (Williams). You telling me on a team with Giricek, Williams, Gasol, Gooden, Wright, Person, Swift, and Dickerson that Hedo could put up McGrady-esque numbers? He wouldn't be able to get 10 shots a game if he wanted to, because outside of Gasol those are some of the most selfish players in NBA.

I'm not saying Hedo isn't a good player, but until he finishes a season shooting higher than 42% from the field with someone other than reserves guarding him, I won't be impressed. Please stop putting Turkoglu on the same level as McGrady, because right now there are only 3 or 4 players of that caliber.

If Posey averages 26 points, 6 boards and 5 assists this year will you say he's as good as Bryant (his numbers fom last year)? Didn't think so.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry benfica,but you really believe that Hedo is better dribbler and passer than T-Mac????Come on man,Hedo isn't any good dribbler at all while T-Mac is great!!!!Generally T-Mac is one of the most spectacular players in dribbling and passing...Hedo is a versatile and solid player while T-Mac is a SUPERstar!!!!!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Has T-Mac played the point yet?

Maybe he could, but has he.

Turk has and plays it well. You can't be playing a PG in the NBA without being a really good dribbler and passer.

I know T-MAC is better, but Turk's story is just getting started and too early to say how great Turk will be. But at 6'10", he is a very impressive all around player.

Turk is as close to T-MAC in skills than anyone else in the league.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Turk is a very skilled player and I've always admired the guy. But come on now. TMac=top 5 player Turk=good player who has chance to be very good but nowhere near TMac's level.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THANK YOU!

A post similar came up in the Kings board came up and people were acting like I was crazy to say Turk couldnt get TMac esc stats. TMac is a better dribbler and passer. Like RobyG and myself have stated, Hedo playing the point for the Kings was and EXPERIMENT. Nothing more. Has he had any time at the point since preseason? I havent watched any Kings games yet so I dont know, but I highly doubt it.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Re: Has T-Mac played the point yet?

Originally posted by <b>benfica</b>!
Maybe he could, but has he.

Turk has and plays it well. You can't be playing a PG in the NBA without being a really good dribbler and passer.

I know T-MAC is better, but Turk's story is just getting started and too early to say how great Turk will be. But at 6'10", he is a very impressive all around player.

Turk is as close to T-MAC in skills than anyone else in the league.
Tmac has been the primary ball-handler in Orlando for the last two years. I take nothing from Hedo, but he is nowhere near McGrady. They only thing Hedo might have a slight edge on Tmac for is outside shooting, but I doubt even that.

Hedo could eventually have Tmac's skills, but he will probably never come close to the athlete Tmac is.. which means defensively he will probably never be close.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Turko is a good player that can put up productive stats and he continues to improve. He's good offensively and he has size to play inside. But to put his status next to TMac's is no comparison. Turk is not as quick or as athletic as Mac. McGrady can be another point-forward, he has that flexability, he covers the floor on both ends, he plays solid D, a decent shot blocker at his position, He can handle the ball well and a true leader of his team.

·
Banned
4,660 Posts
Is this a joke?

Turk is nowhere, and I mean NOWHERE close to Tracy McGrady.

McGrady, IMO, is the best player in the league... Hedo is a role-player. I'm sorry King's fans, he is and, IMO, that's all he'll ever be.

Also, Hedo cannot play the point... He has no handles, no quickness, no penetration ability, and he really isn't a very good passer or defender.

The kid's a finisher and a good one at that, but you're looking through purple-colored glasses if you think he has star potential.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I hate to break it to everyone but (FACT) Hedo has already put up McGrady-lite numbers as a starter. Last year (10 games, hardly an insubstantial sample) - 16.6 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.3 apg. Not to mention that the Kings went 8-2 in those games and swept a 6 game road trip (something only accomplished 10 times in NBA history). Hedo has already PROVEN he can put up McGrady-lite numbers as a starter in his second year (most Euros don't break out until their third). I don't understand why it would be such a great stretch for those numbers to go up another notch as a main gun for a bad team. Right now Hedo is putting up 15 ppg, ~4 rpg, and ~2 apg in just 30 minutes - extended to 40 minutes he would be at 20 ppg, 5 rpg, 3 apg - poor man's McGrady type numbers.

Like I said in the other thread, Hedo isn't T-Mac. He doesn't have nearly the athleticism or body control of McGrady, BUT otherwise the two players are very similar (I'm not sure where the Hedo can't pass or handle the ball comments are coming from, since there's no evidence to support those contentions). I hardly see how it's ludicrous to think that a player who has gone for ~17 ppg, ~7rpg, and 3.3 apg as a starter early in his career can't one day, in the right situation, put up 20, 8, and 5 - TMac lite numbers.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hedo will never be half the player TMac is, PERIOD. I mean look at the thread. Besides you no one is supporting the idea of him being even close to TMac. Could we all be wrong, or should you consider that your being a tad biased?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Y'all are getting too ticked off about this.

Hedo's a good all-around player, so being on a bad team would probably up his numbers a little—just like Kobe's numbers are up right now—and his PPG, RPG, and APG would look a lot like TMac's.

It's true, and it doesn't matter.

Jason Kidd's and Jason Williams's stats line up pretty neatly in a few categories, too, and no one's confused about who's who. So do Doug Christie's and Gary Payton's. And Webber's and KG's. We all still know who's on the court.

Don't get mad that the Kings have a bench full of starter-quality players, and your favorite team doesn't. With the salary cap and Stern's expansion-mania—and scrubs like Wally Toothpaste Commercial and Freddie Mercury Foster getting huge contracts—these Kings are probably the last solid 1-10 team the league will ever see. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hedo will never be half the player TMac is, PERIOD.
When did I ever say Hedo would be as good as T-Mac? Never. I referred to Hedo as a 'poor man's McGrady' and 'T-Mac lite'. BTW Hedo is already 1/2 the player McGrady is, and he has a chance to be 3/4 the player McGrady is. I have never said Hedo will ever be anything more than 'T-Mac lite'.

I mean look at the thread. Besides you no one is supporting the idea of him being even close to TMac. Could we all be wrong, or should you consider that your being a tad biased?
Pardon the Interruption/Washington Post's Michael Wilbon on Hedo "Of the five best players [in the NBA] under 23, one is Turkish (Hedo Turkoglu)"

Sports Illustrated's Jack McCallum on Hedo "In my opinion, he's better than starting two-guard Doug Christie and top reserve Bobby Jackson, and, with added playing time, perhaps even Peja Stojakovic, who made the All-Star team last year. "

Sportsline.com's Mike Kahn on Hedo "Entering his third season, Turkoglu should be ready to bust out. He has a great handle, 3-point range and is an exceptional passer. His defense is improving and he's strong enough that in many cases he can play all four positions except center."

[The source articles for the above 3 quotes are all available on-line in case anyone wishes to check their veracity.]

So no, I guess it just isn't me. If anyone can put up an argument (backed with statistical evidence taken within proper context, as well as credible outside sources backing your position) that Hedo won't, one day, put up 'T-Mac lite' numbers for some team, I'd love to see it. I'm not seeing it now.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I posted this in the other post.

Nets - Kidd
Magic - TMac
6'ers - AI
Wiz - Stack
Heat - Jones
C's - Pierce
Knicks - Houston
Hawks - Robinson
Bulls - Rose
Pistons - Hamilton
Hornets - Davis
Pacers - O'Neal
Raptors - Vince
Cavs - Big Z
Bucks - Allen

Mav's - Dirk
Rockets - Francis
Wolves - KG
Spurs - Duncan
Nuggets - Posey
Jazz - Malone
Griz - Gasol
Sonics - Payton
LA - Kobe
Warriors - Jamison
Clippers - Brand
Suns - Marbury
Blazers - Sheed

Ok if Hedo is so good, then what team would he be the man on? MAYBE Denver, but Posey is playing like a man gone mad. I mean, which team could Hedo play for where he would be the best player on the team? I dont think any.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts