Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
needs to be more of a passer and get his team involved more. Him shooting 40% means he's taking alot of shot he might not have to. He should have a better % percentage. he is a very very good player who can still improve so much more.

·
Registered
452 Posts
When you say 40% are you referring to preseason stats? He shot 48% from the field last year, and over that in the playoffs. He averaged 23.8 points per game in the regular season on less shots than Michael Finley who averaged about 21 per game.

I think Dirk has added a passing element to his game. If Dallas is to be successful I think their offense has to run through Nowitzki.

Hitman

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, but he needs to show more versatility on offense...it's not a rip, just a suggestion to develop his game. With all his touches he should average 5-6.5 asssists

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ok then....

I agree with you. I think playing small forward will help him with his passing, as will be able to see over any defender and will draw substantial double teams at that position, as there is simply not a small forward in the league who can stop him. (Of course he can't stop any of the small forwards but thats for another discussion.)

I have a feeling we will see between 3 and 4 assists from Dirk this year. If he can get about 3.5 to 4 per game, I think it will help the Mavs tremendously. Not to mention the fact that it will make the shooting crazed Mavs more apt to pass him the ball in key spots.

Hitman

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
That the thing I dont understand how people are calling Dirk better than KG. KG has been doing what hes doing for going on 5-6 years now and last season was just Dirk's 2nd good season. Plus he doesnt even pass nearly enough to be considered among the elite yet plenty people willa rgue hes better than KG:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Because he ripped KG and he brought the Mavs from being a 20 game a year team to 50+.He has got his team to the second round 2 years in a row as KG only sticks his head in the door. Dirk is a horrible passer which is why he disappears sometimes in crunch situations. But what has KG done to be considered somuch better? Dirk has outscored, outrebounded and just plain shut him down. The are both in the same conference much less the same division but there was almost a 10 game difference in victories last year and the Wolves had the best start of any team. Werent they 1st until the end of December?

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Drag

Lets take your statements and break them down shall we

Because he ripped KG and he brought the Mavs from being a 20 game a year team to 50+.He has got his team to the second round 2 years in a row as KG only sticks his head in the door.
Dont get me wrong he did light KG up, but I guess avg 24pts 18.7 rbs, and 7assts against Dirk dont count for much. Garnett has brought the Twolves from one of the worst teams in the league to one of the better teams in the league of the strength of hiimself.

Dirk is a horrible passer which is why he disappears sometimes in crunch situations. But what has KG done to be considered somuch better? Dirk has outscored, outrebounded and just plain shut him down.
So basically if Dirk disappears in crunch situations, isnt that the same knock people have on Garnett??? What hasnt KG done. Like I said only Larry Bird has done what KG has done what KG has done the last 5 seasons in a row. That's avg 20+pts 10+rbs and 5+ assts a game. Stats speak for themselves. By the way Dirk may have outscored KG but no way has he outrebounded him or shut him down. If you like I will bring the stats of their head to head matchups.

They are both in the same conference much less the same division but there was almost a 10 game difference in victories last year and the Wolves had the best start of any team. Werent they 1st until the end of December?
Well when you look at the Dallas Maverick Roster and the Timberwolves roster its plain to see why. Terrell Brandon went down and their went their victories. Dallas has 2 other all-stars on their roster not named Dirk and 2 potential ones on the bench. KG has wally, Big deal. SO basically everything I have said speaks for itself

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Yeah but they werent all-stars when they where losing. Now every one jumps on thier tip calling them this and that. Even when they beat UTAH in the playoffs they werent even being considered in the top 10 of anything. Finley made the all-star squad becuase he got voted in there by the players.

But we always say stats dont matter its about winning right? Im not hating on KG but do you think hes gonna get any better? Im pretty sure hes maxed hes potential out. And Dirk wasnt even gaurdin KG most of the time.It was NAJARA that was detailed to contain KG.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dragnsmke1</b>!
Yeah but they werent all-stars when they where losing. Now every one jumps on thier tip calling them this and that. Even when they beat UTAH in the playoffs they werent even being considered in the top 10 of anything. Finley made the all-star squad becuase he got voted in there by the players.

But we always say stats dont matter its about winning right? Im not hating on KG but do you think hes gonna get any better? Im pretty sure hes maxed hes potential out. And Dirk wasnt even gaurdin KG most of the time.It was NAJARA that was detailed to contain KG.

you are now contradicting yourself because you said Nowitski shut KG down, now its Najera who played D on him.:no:

KG still is only 26 and has not entered his prime yet. Yes he still can get better, how can you or anyone else say that he cant??

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I tend to agree with Beez and for some of his reasons.

One thing fans seem to forget when talking about "passing"- there is a HUGE difference between passing and being a "playmaker"!

I love watching Dirk, BUT he isn't a good passer - yet - and he is FAR from being a "playmaker" (which is what Larry Bird was, what KG and A.Walker are )!

The Mavericks are loaded with offensive talent and they're so much fun to watch - and that alone will get Dirk his current 1 or 2 assists - but if he wants to be an elite sf (at 7 feet, he should/BETTER get 10+ rebounds!), he has to learn how to be a "playmaker". Lest we all forget, Larry Bird <b>averaged 6.35 assists per game</b> for his career and he didn't have near the offensively talented team to get those assists. {He also had an incrediblly quick first step and was an excellent help (TEAM) defender} !

·
Registered
452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!

you are now contradicting yourself because you said Nowitski shut KG down, now its Najera who played D on him.:no:

KG still is only 26 and has not entered his prime yet. Yes he still can get better, how can you or anyone else say that he cant??
I think KG is a marvelous player, but he is ultimately the best 'second banana' of all time. If that proposed trade of KG for Finley, Nash and LaFrentz ever went through, and he and Dirk formed a tag team in Dallas, they would be a title contender for the next ten years but....Dirk would be the guy they went to in the clutch.

It was impossible to watch Mavs-Wolves last year and not come to the conclusion that Dirk was AT LEAST as good as KG, and probably a bit better.

Hitman

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Because he ripped KG and he brought the Mavs from being a 20 game a year team to 50+.He has got his team to the second round 2 years in a row as KG only sticks his head in the door. Dirk is a horrible passer which is why he disappears sometimes in crunch situations. But what has KG done to be considered somuch better? Dirk has outscored, outrebounded and just plain shut him down. The are both in the same conference much less the same division but there was almost a 10 game difference in victories last year and the Wolves had the best start of any team. Werent they 1st until the end of December?
When? Back it with numbers and a link to verify them.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Here are the stats for last years playoffs. How can you say "Dirk has outscored, outrebounded and just plain shut him down."? Maybe I am mistaken but when your opponent scores 24 points that is hardly shutting him down. Isn't 18.7 RPG better than 15.7 RPG?
----KG----DN
MPG 43.3 43.3
PPG 24.0 33.3
RPG 18.7 15.7
APG 5.0 0.7
SPG 1.67 3.00
BPG 1.67 1.33

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JoeF</b>!

Here are the stats for last years playoffs. How can you say "Dirk has outscored, outrebounded and just plain shut him down."? Maybe I am mistaken but when your opponent scores 24 points that is hardly shutting him down. Isn't 18.7 RPG better than 15.7 RPG?
----KG----DN
MPG 43.3 43.3
PPG 24.0 33.3
RPG 18.7 15.7
<b><u>APG 5.0 0.7</b></u>
SPG 1.67 3.00
BPG 1.67 1.33
That is really one stat that sticks out there like a sore thumb for Dirk, seeing as how he has such talented offensive players around him.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
I meant shuting the wolves down as a whole...But Najara was the one gaurding KG.
you said Nowitski shut him down. Stop retracting your statements

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hitman</b>!

I think KG is a marvelous player, but he is ultimately the best 'second banana' of all time. If that proposed trade of KG for Finley, Nash and LaFrentz ever went through, and he and Dirk formed a tag team in Dallas, they would be a title contender for the next ten years but....Dirk would be the guy they went to in the clutch.

It was impossible to watch Mavs-Wolves last year and not come to the conclusion that Dirk was AT LEAST as good as KG, and probably a bit better.

Hitman

How cause he shot better. OK he did, but he doesnt pass nearly enough to be considered great.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TheRifleman</b>!

That is really one stat that sticks out there like a sore thumb for Dirk, seeing as how he has such talented offensive players around him.

those 5 assists that KG dished out roughly translate to 10 points not-counting 3-pointers, so that evens out with Dirks scoring advantage

KG is a TEAM player, Dirk is a ME-first guy with a scorer mentality, dirk needs to take lessons from Garnett on how be a team player

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JOHNNY_BRAVisimO</b>!

those 5 assists that KG dished out roughly translate to 10 points not-counting 3-pointers, so that evens out with Dirks scoring advantage

KG is a TEAM player, Dirk is a ME-first guy with a scorer mentality, dirk needs to take lessons from Garnett on how be a team player
You must have never seen a Mavs game in your life to type that down. The Mavs problem is noone but Van Exel is selfish enough...

As far as retracting my statement I already said I was wrong I said it was Najara guarding him so what are you talking about?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts