Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you really think there are many coaches around who could do better than 41-30 with our roster and having dealt with significant injuries to two of your top three players (Hughes, Jamison), four out of five starters (all but Arenas), and several key role players (Hayes, Dixon)?

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Here's the key thing to keep in mind about most (including most of my) EJ bashing -- he is not a horrible coach that absolutely must go. There are times throughout the season that we may feel that way, but overall, he's a fine coach. Probably will finish top five or so in the coach of the year voting. Certainly a key part of best season in 20+ years.

Maybe we're too greedy, maybe we focus too little on final result and too much on how we get there. 41-30 is a great accomplishment for the club, but really, it doesn't seem like we're as good as the record indicates. Good teams blow us out on a semi-regular basis, mediocre teams play us tight but usually end up just falling short. As I mentioned a little bit ago, our points differential is weak for a .500 team, let alone for one 11 games over. There are so many nights that is seems like we win in spite of EJ, whether it be us getting beat by the same play over and over or a boneheaded substitution or whatever else.

It's a question of the big picture versus the little things. If you look at simply our record and position amongst the rest of the league, it's hard not to be at least a little impressed. However, watching each individual game, it never looks half that rosy. As I said, there's at least as many games where it feels like we're winning in spite of EJ.

On my original note though, we shouldn't dump the guy willy nilly once we're out of the playoffs. We do however need to look at what else is out there, and most importantly, not be afraid to bring in someone new just because of our accomplishments this season. If EG doesn't see anyone that he think is any better though, there's certainly no reason to just make a move for the heck of it.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think even looking at the little things he's done a good job. Of course he makes mistakes here and there and it sucks to see a lineup without Hughes or Arenas at times, but those guys need rest. Honestly, we are a really ****ty team when both of those guys are out of the game, but there are times when that has to be done.

·
Registered
726 Posts
You can't have it all at once. It'll take a while to really be one of the elite teams in the league. There's no way you can blame Eddie Jordan for not being able to play with the Spurs when he's the one who brought us above not being able to play with the Hawks.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
EJ does deserve credit for the winning. I can't take credit away from any coach who coaches a team to a 3rd best record in the Eastern conference.

I think EJ managing the team with injuries is alot easier to do than people would think it sorta makes decisions easy for a coach. It forces certain guys into rotation and creates a natural chemistry. The team would have been much harder to manage had Kwame,Etan and Blake been healthy all season to start. Kwame would have created natural tensions in the pf battle with JJ and Jamsion and Blake/Dixon dynamic would have been there as well as the Haywood/Etan tension. Those are the sort of things that unravel certain teams and allow them to have rocky chemistry. But the injurioes sort of worked them all out FOR EJ.

EJ in my mind still isn't a good coach and I'm afraid he's gonna hurt us in the playoffs with his suspect coaching strategies. Having the bad match-ups on the floor too often. The playoffs are all about match-ups. If you start thinking small or have the wrong guy matched up you could pay dearly and I'm afraid EJ will make those errors when a team realizes his tendencies as coach.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
eYeKey said:
waaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated!

he always had either MJ or Shaq/Kobe
if Phil was overrated then why did MJ leave his career in the hands of Phil when he said he wouldl only play with Phil Jackson when Phil said he was retiring. only great players recognize great coaches.

·
Registered
87 Posts
aftermath said:
if Phil was overrated then why did MJ leave his career in the hands of Phil when he said he wouldl only play with Phil Jackson when Phil said he was retiring. only great players recognize great coaches.
MJ was set on retiring anyway. Just like he tried to use his retirement as leverage during the lockout as a part of the players union. Phil Jackson's best attribute was managing huge egos (i.e. jordan, pippen, rodman) Besides, Shaq is making Stan Van Gundy look like Pat Riley. Speaking of Riley, Jackson can't hold his clipboard. Riley made guys like Ike Austin get huge contracts because he knew how to maximize potential.

·
Registered
62 Posts
eYeKey said:
MJ was set on retiring anyway. Just like he tried to use his retirement as leverage during the lockout as a part of the players union. Phil Jackson's best attribute was managing huge egos (i.e. jordan, pippen, rodman) Besides, Shaq is making Stan Van Gundy look like Pat Riley. Speaking of Riley, Jackson can't hold his clipboard. Riley made guys like Ike Austin get huge contracts because he knew how to maximize potential.
Well, that's an excellent point. Riley can make something out of nothing (remember the Knicks?). Jackson was good at keeping everyone from strangling each other. Which in today's NBA is actually a pretty valuable skill.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
*edit* sorry wrong tread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts