Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other nominees for Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, Dwyane Wade of the Heat, New Jersey's Vince Carter, Zach Randolph of Portland and Washington's Antawn Jamison.

http://www.wjactv.com/nba/8144634/detail.html

I'd have to say the people selecting NBA player of the week are more in the know than the frequenters of message boards, myself included, even if they are awesome moderators and have cool sexy names like jmk.

· Banned
4,647 Posts
Re: To the 'Vince is playing horrible' enthusiasts (Vince nominated for Playerof week

purplehaze89 said:
I'd have to say the people selecting NBA player of the week are more in the know than the frequenters of message boards, myself included, even if they are awesome moderators and have cool sexy names like jmk.
:laugh:

And why would you say that?

· Premium Member
7,222 Posts
Re: To the 'Vince is playing horrible' enthusiasts (Vince nominated for Playerof week

They look at the teams with best records in each conference for the week, and more often than not nominate the top scorers from those teams respectively.They don't consider things like FG% etc.

· Registered
2,856 Posts
All i am happy about is his blocks and steals, he'll get out of his shooting slump.

· Registered
3,411 Posts

Aurelino said:
They look at the teams with best records in each conference for the week, and more often than not nominate the top scorers from those teams respectively.They don't consider things like FG% etc.
Then how did Zach Randolph get in the mix?

· Premium Member
7,222 Posts

Mr.Montross said:
Then how did Zach Randolph get in the mix?
That's an anomaly. If you look back at all the past POTW awards, you'd find they only reward players if their team has a winning record.

· Banned
57,945 Posts

purplehaze89 said:
Other nominees for Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Week were Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, Dwyane Wade of the Heat, New Jersey's Vince Carter, Zach Randolph of Portland and Washington's Antawn Jamison.

http://www.wjactv.com/nba/8144634/detail.html

So if I were to quote, and link writers that said Carter out right quit on the Raptors, considering some of them select NBA player of the week canidates, that makes them more in the know that yourself?

Good example though.

-Petey

· Registered
6,449 Posts
That's b/c we were undefeated last week & Vince is our best player so he got credit even though Nenad has obviously played the best this past week. Nenad is a fairly low profile player & Vince is our All-Star so he received the glory.

· Burned
18,770 Posts

neoxsupreme said:
That's b/c we were undefeated last week & Vince is our best player so he got credit even though Nenad has obviously played the best this past week. Nenad is a fairly low profile player & Vince is our All-Star so he received the glory.
Nenad played outstanding basketball this week, but his numbers were not what you usually see from POTW candidates.

He was at 17/7/2 with a block and shot 53% from the field.

RJ was 19/6/3 and shot 55%.

Carter had 25/5/3 and shot 39%.

Krstic played two outstanding games the previous week, but had foul trouble against Yao that lowered his totals for this week.

· Banned
57,945 Posts

PHeNoM Z28 said:
Wow...people are actually trying to find excuses to prove in their own minds that Vince played horrible. :nonono:
LOL, what excuses?

Last season a pool of writers whom could take part in voting for these type awards and the MVP claimed Carter quit on his team. Didn't a whole slew of people claim that writers know nothing, and try to discredit them? If you think shooting 40% over a week of games is Carter's average, I guess efficency was just a tease?

-Petey

· Premium Member
69,620 Posts

Petey said:
LOL, what excuses?

Last season a pool of writers whom could take part in voting for these type awards and the MVP claimed Carter quit on his team. Didn't a whole slew of people claim that writers know nothing, and try to discredit them? If you think shooting 40% over a week of games is Carter's average, I guess efficency was just a tease?

-Petey
Shooting percentages didnt stop AI from winning MVP, it certainly didnt stop him from making a couple of all star games.I think want phenom has been trying to say and what I definitely agree with is how can someone rationalize 25/5/3 as a horrible performance.

Mind you, no one has said Vince has had an excellent performance but there is a big difference between the word average and the word horrible.

· Banned
57,945 Posts

Sometimes looking at the way how you get to the end result you get a better idea of what that final product means. The Nets made it to the Eastern Conference finals twice in years where the East may have been substandard. It's the same with Carter, he got his numbers but by what means?

-Petey

· Premium Member
69,620 Posts

Petey said:
Sometimes looking at the way how you get to the end result you get a better idea of what that final product means. The Nets made it to the Eastern Conference finals twice in years where the East may have been substandard. It's the same with Carter, he got his numbers but by what means?

-Petey
I am not sure whats being implied here, mind being a bit clearer I dont want to jump to conclusions on this one.

· Banned
10,661 Posts

Petey said:
So if I were to quote, and link writers that said Carter out right quit on the Raptors, considering some of them select NBA player of the week canidates, that makes them more in the know that yourself?

Good example though.

-Petey
Petey, you used some horrible examples in this thread....I'm sorry.

· Banned
57,945 Posts

Hbwoy said:
I am not sure whats being implied here, mind being a bit clearer I dont want to jump to conclusions on this one.
Fake boobs, real boobs, both great, but one a bit more awe inspiring.

Earning 100 dollars as a kid and being given 100 dollars as a kid.

A jumper is worth 2 points. A slam over Zo is worth 2 points. They have the same value in real terms, but one means more than the other because of how it was acheived.

The number of games Larry Brown has won, verus how many games it took him to get to those wins.

Scoring 20 points on Salim Stoudemire, and scoring 20 points on Ron Artest. At the end of the night, it's 20 points... but one have a bit more meaning than the other.

But this sort of goes back to what I was saying about Kobe and his huge games this year. He did it with a certain volume of shots... that if a post player traditionally with a higher FG% would have problems reaching.

I think people often overlook the method or route it takes to acheive goals.

-Petey

· Banned
57,945 Posts

Air Fly said:
Petey, you used some horrible examples in this thread....I'm sorry.
How are they horrible examples?

Didn't a few people say writers last year didn't know what they were talking about when they side Carter quit on the Raptors? Now people want to use similar sources to define his plays over the week?

Sounds a bit hypocrital.

-Petey

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.