Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Big, I have a soccer question for you....

let's say we have a player named "Smith", and his team gets into the 1st round of the WC.

In their first game, Smith gets one yellow card.

In their second game, Smith gets another yellow card in the first half, which means he must miss the next game. But in the second half, he gets ANOTHER yellow card and is thus ejected from this game for getting 2 yellows in the same match.

What is the consequence of having accululated 3 yellows total? He obviously sits out the remainder of the second game, but does he miss the third match too?

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Originally posted by Mongolmike
Hey Big, I have a soccer question for you....

let's say we have a player named "Smith", and his team gets into the 1st round of the WC.

In their first game, Smith gets one yellow card.

In their second game, Smith gets another yellow card in the first half, which means he must miss the next game. But in the second half, he gets ANOTHER yellow card and is thus ejected from this game for getting 2 yellows in the same match.

What is the consequence of having accululated 3 yellows total? He obviously sits out the remainder of the second game, but does he miss the third match too?
It doesn't matter when he gets them in the world cup as long as he gets three yellow cards he has to sit out a match.

Also no one can get two yellow cards, once a player gets a yellow, and does a harsh tackle he gets a yellow (which he got earlier in the game) and then the red.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so then

the player would sit out the rest of the second game, and all of the third match too?

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Re: so then

the player would sit out the rest of the second game, and all of the third match too?
No! If he gets a red card he will sit out at least a game (red-card also means suspention), but if he collects 3 yellow cards (in three games or more) he is forced to sit out the next game. Its the rules.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
And also if he gets a red card he will be forced to sit out the rest of the game and one or more other games, depending how bad the tackle was/or the behavior of the player.

·
Registered
41 Posts
To Mongolmike

The Truth is right on this one. It doesn't matter how many yellow cards he will collect (two or three), he still will be suspended for one game.

There is just one thing to this and that's that he just need one other yellow card in the next game he plays to be suspended another game.

So imagine that Smith gets one yellow against Brasil and then he got two cards against Korea in the next game,which will lead automatically to a red card and one game suspension. But Smith still had one yellow card for the game against Brasil.

The next game against Ireland he's suspended and the next game he plays against Costa Rica and gets another yellow card. This will lead to another game suspension because of his card against Brasil. But this is not likely to happen, cuz if you count the games that he plays and misses (4 games), than he will play the final eight against Brasil, than plays the quarter final against Korea, misses the half final against Ireland and plays in the final against Costa Rica, but according to the rules he have to sit out one game, but there aren't any games left.

And because of the system that cards that people get in the pool games don't count in the later stages, he won't miss another game except the one against Ireland. Of course suspension count in the later stages, so it's theoratically possible to miss the final.

I hope you understand the card system better!

mzzls,

The Big Easy

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes....

that makes it clearer. I know it probably won't happen, but I just wonder about some of these things.... gawd, I got too much time on my hands, and too much soccer on the brain! lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
LOL! I seriously hope that there are more people like you in the USA, so soccer will become more popular! Cuz I don't understand what lots of people in the US like about Baseball. There doesn't happen ****! But hey I am European, so maybe I don't understand you're culture very well.

mzzls,

The Big Easy

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Originally posted by TheBigEasy
LOL! I seriously hope that there are more people like you in the USA, so soccer will become more popular! Cuz I don't understand what lots of people in the US like about Baseball. There doesn't happen ****! But hey I am European, so maybe I don't understand you're culture very well.

mzzls,

The Big Easy
I am from Europe too, but once I learned the rules, I started to watch it.

Kind of like Mongolmike, when he learns the rules very well, he will start watching Soccer too.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll tell you what it really is...

this is strickly MY opinion about what brings about interest in a sport...

First- was it available to play as a youth? (In my case, no. Pick-up baseball games, basketball, swimming, biking, and a tennis court where my basic options as I grew up in a small town. Nobody EVER played soccer.... ever.) If it is an option as a youth, and you take-up the sport, you might have interest in it as an adult.

Second- Was it an available sport in school? (For me, no. Soccer was not played by anyone I knew in school.) Organized sports in addition to the big three:football, basketball, baseball, but also sports like ice curling, cross country, track, golf might entice someone to take-up the sport and have interest in it as an adult.

Third- Is there a local team that captures your interest in the sport? (For me, a soccer team... nope. Indoor soccer was around, but it seemed like a basterdized version of the real thing).

Fourth- Is your nation good at it? (Finally... an "in" for me for soccer!) Watching the US women's team was cool. The girls were good, and watching women's soccer is almost as good as watching men's soccer. There isn't as obvious a difference as say the difference between women's basketball and men's. It's kinda like Olympic volleyball... the men's volleyball is excellant- powerful! And the women's ain't bad either! They can slam the rock HARD.
Soccer is the same... the women's game is a little slower, but the basics are the same, and the intensity is the same. The USA women caught my interest first... and then so did the men's game even tho they weren't as successful. This WC, I never thought they would do as well as they did, but I can see that the gap is closing. So now, I am a fan.
In the WC the national pride, and the supreme importance countries place on their team's success makes every match fun to watch. I will watch other teams besides the USA to gauge the talent levels, and like hockey, there isn't a lot of scoring, but the back and forth action, and the physical play has got me hooked. Given the choice between watching the USA play a WC match, or watching my team play in either football, basketball, or baseball - which would I watch? I would watch the football game, and tape the basketball game on one VCR, and the soccer on the other, and check the score of the baseball game every hour or so. If I didn't have a VCR, I'd be wearing out the remote control flipping back and forth!

Will I start watching MSL soccer? Hmmm.... I'm not sure. Probably a little more than I had, which was not at all. If a team, or some players catch my interest, then yes I would. I wonder why more of the top Europeam leagues aren't shown here on tv, like late at night on ESPN2. Heck, they show Sumo Wrestling, Professional Pool Shooting Competions, Cheerleading Comps... why not world-class soccer?

Anyway, that is my reason for being a budding soccer fan... sorry for the length.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
The lenght doesn't matter there are always patient people to read it. But since watching the World Cup is soccer one of the most beautiful sports? It's great right?

Also another thing, if ESPN can call themselfs "the worldwide leader in sports" how come they don't have soccer. Its watched everywhere around the world. And they have so many reruns of many shows and they can't put it a taped game of soccer??? Heck who cares about the time, I would watch it if it would be on at 7 am, or 7 pm or even 3 am hey i could always tape it.

Also if you wanna watch some soccer matches you need to get FOX Sports World. They have soccer everyday. But I don't think you can get it on normal cable, you can get it on dicital, and a satellite.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey The_Truth

couple of things... I agree, why doesn't ESPN televise more soccer, especially international? Heck, I've seen AUstralian Rules Football on.... how big of a US market is there for that? I'm mean, there is me watching it, but then I watch just about any sport!

And your quote at the end of your posts.... yeah, chocolate milk is one of the greatest things... but did Muhammad Ali really say that? :grinning:

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Re: Hey The_Truth

couple of things... I agree, why doesn't ESPN televise more soccer, especially international? Heck, I've seen AUstralian Rules Football on.... how big of a US market is there for that? I'm mean, there is me watching it, but then I watch just about any sport!

And your quote at the end of your posts.... yeah, chocolate milk is one of the greatest things... but did Muhammad Ali really say that? :grinning:
Well in the movie "Ali" he did! And I know that he said something like that in real life when he didn't want to go to the war.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts